Honda CRX Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i need a swap done to my crx and i dont wanna spend too much so ive ruled out any swap that envolves a new tranny what is the best d serise or zc engine ive found that the zc with SOHC vtec looks good but almost everyone does the DOHC zc i dont know why anyone wanna help me out whats the best bang for my hard earned dollar??? and the easyest to do

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
What model of crx do you have now????

we need more info. . .
if you have an Hf then an a6 Si engine would be a nice upgrade... . but not if you already have one in there...
i guess your choices are a6 engine. . . d15 vtec
z6 or y8 vtecs dohc or dohc zc
all of these engines are basically about the same and will drop right in...

some wiring will be required for vtec and such....

let us know your goals.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i have an si but the motor has a hole a object has ejected from the motor haha but ya i want more power with the least work possible i will be paying for the swap to be done so its not so much the difficulty as it will be the time consuming

·
Registered
9,746 Posts
Please use some punctuation, you'll get more responses.
If you're thinking about a SOHC ZC VTEC, you may as well get a D16Z6. They're easy to find and cheap, and you can pretty much drop them right in. You'll probably want to convert the car to OBD1, but that's not a big deal, just get the ECU with it. From what I've been reading, the DOHC ZC isn't as popular a swap now as it once was. They're getting old, and since they need to be imported, we aren't getting the best motors out of the junkyards in Japan any more. You could also get a new block for your A6, which would be a lot cheaper, and spend the money you save on cams or something to get a little more power out of it. Personally I like the A6, I have seriously considered both a B16 swap and once a DOHC ZC I could have had a great deal on, but really I don't have a problem with the A6. It's cheap and there's a lot of stuff out there for it. Best of all, it's the real CRX motor, if you're a purist.

·
Registered
711 Posts
When i do change my motor i'm going d15b vtec. I figure 22hp more than the a6 (more power), 100cc less (more efficient)... and a turbo will solve any other needs of power i have :wink:

·
Registered
2,469 Posts
coldtotouch said:
When i do change my motor i'm going d15b vtec. I figure 22hp more than the a6 (more power), 100cc less (more efficient)... and a turbo will solve any other needs of power i have :wink:
Don't know about how much better mileage. I have a b16a, type R cams, skunk 2 intake, 4-2-1 exhaust, YS1 tranny and as long as I don't "get on it" I get 32-36 mpg even with the high revs this thing does on the highway at 75 mph, and before the mods they say its 160 bhp. This was with the stock OBD0 ecu. I have since done more mods and have not checked mileage and as soon as I get my ported head back on I will let you know.

Richie

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
You can also get a SOHC ZC, theyre not really that different from an A6, and you can pick them up from hmotorsonline for about 400 bux.

http://www.hmotorsonline.com/shop/sc200 ... item=30018

A friend of mine got one from hmotorsonline for an ef si hatch w/the same problem youre having(bought it from a kid who had the car for a month for 200 bux). So far all hes done is an oil change, timing belt, water pump, new clutch, and rear main seal for this motor and hes had 0 problems for about a year, I cant say that all of the SOHC ZCs will perform this way, but all the swaps/motors that friends of mine have got from hmotors have had very few problems.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.