Honda CRX Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello!

I have an Honda CRX 89' with 1.6cc 130cv DOHC motor. I have a MFactory 4.5 "short group" with self-locking. I need to know witch is the best gear oil for it specs. I need a sure answer to can continue my maintenance.

Thanks to everybody.

·
Registered
43 Posts
gualro said:
Hello!

I have an Honda CRX 89' with 1.6cc 130cv DOHC motor. I have a MFactory 4.5 "short group" with self-locking. I need to know witch is the best gear oil for it specs. I need a sure answer to can continue my maintenance.

Thanks to everybody.
just use motor oil -- 5w30, 10w30 etc. full synthetic.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Honda manual transmissions use Honda MTF, which has a viscosty of 10W30 which is why the book says to use that if you cant use Honda fluid. Don't change this to any thick gear lube, ive learned this the hard way.

·
Registered
2,942 Posts
Talk to the builder, sounds like MFactory, about what they recommend. Sometimes trans with limited-slip diffs will need different oils than open-diff transmissions.

The standard oil for the standard open diff trans is 10W30 or 10W40 motor oil. That's what it was built for, back in the day. Plain dinosaur-based oil. Honda says to use their MTL now, probably because they want to sell their special gear lube, but we have heard of cases where it did not work very well.

I personally would avoid synthetic, mostly due to cost but also because you might be tempted to leave it in for longer periods of time. Don't do that; replace the fluid annually.

--DD

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Finally, my CRX only has MFactory "short group", it don't have self-locking. So, can you say to me the better gear oil and viscosity? The use of this car is only race on circuit and little endurances.

Thanks!!!

·
Registered
2,942 Posts
What does MFactory recommend?

Failing that, I still suggest 10W30 non-synthetic motor oil. Changed on a regular schedule.

--DD

Reactions: Baker

·
Registered
238 Posts
The president of Spoon recommended years ago in Best Motoring that gear oil on Honda MT be swapped at the same interval as motor oil, or sooner, on tracked cars. He stated that because there is no cooler and no filtration system, the oil degrades quickly under race conditions.

I agree with everyone else, M-Factory specs for their products are what will drive the spec here.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I talked with MFactory and they said to me that the best Oil for my situation will be MTF-3 by Honda. What do you think about it?

·
Registered
2,942 Posts
They built the box, they should know what they want used in it.

Find yourself some MTF-3!

--DD

1 - 10 of 10 Posts