Honda CRX Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm going to do a DOHC ZC swap on my rex asap. It currently has a D15 in it, so when I swap, I'm going to put on a whole new custom 2" exhaust.

I bought a generic header off ebay a while back, and it performed great, only the chrome turned a crappy rainbow color once it heated up. So I was looking around on ebay, and found this: CLICK HERE
I'm curious if anyone's used a ceramic coated header before?
Does the coloring come off over time?
If so, how much time?

I want to toss in a generic high flow cat, resonator, and I'm still hunting a high flow muffler. Then I'll take it and have 2" piping ran to connect it all. Now I just have to find a cheap Turbo II muffler like I used before. I think it was a Super Trap, I will have to do some research..

·
Registered
2,297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
jfrolang said:
I think 2.25" piping will do you better.

Ceramic coated headers shouldn't discolor or chip off if it's a quality part. The rainbow coloring you saw on your header is a hallmark of stainless steel. It does that. :)
I had 2.25 on my old Si, and it sounded too raspy IMHO. I'd rather have it restricted just a little more, but not as much as stock, and a little quieter.

I was reading on d-series that with the DOHC ZC that uses a D16a6 header puts the cat about an inch lower and causes a bunch of ground clearance issues. Can anyone confirm that?

·
Registered
633 Posts
mithuth said:
I was reading on d-series that with the DOHC ZC that uses a D16a6 header puts the cat about an inch lower and causes a bunch of ground clearance issues. Can anyone confirm that?
I've never experienced or heard that before. I used the same Kamakaze header on both engines, didn't change the ground clearence.

·
Registered
2,297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
shorte said:
mithuth said:
I've never experienced or heard that before. I used the same Kamakaze header on both engines, didn't change the ground clearence.
http://www.d-series.org/forums/showthread.php?t=49546

here's a pic of his fix, apparently he jsut put a piece of flex pipe in frnot of the cat.

·
Registered
6,567 Posts
mithuth said:
I had 2.25 on my old Si, and it sounded too raspy IMHO. I'd rather have it restricted just a little more, but not as much as stock, and a little quieter.
then 'someone' went ahead and removed the rear section and replaced it with a pipe with a nice polished top. that made it a 'little' louder :)

for your benefit,before i modified it, i had like 4 local guys ask me where I got my exhaust because they loved the way it sounded.

[email protected]

·
Registered
9,844 Posts
Mine sits a bit low, but thats because of the exhaust... its been low no matter what engine is in there.

Turbo2 from autozone $15 in stock location
Cherrybomb from autozone $20 used as resonator
2" pipe should be fine.

·
Registered
2,297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
matminerDOTcom said:
for your benefit,before i modified it, i had like 4 local guys ask me where I got my exhaust because they loved the way it sounded.

[email protected]
Thanks, that's pretty cool. I plan to replicate that lay out with a bit smaller pipe and probably an OEM resonator.

rex2nr said:
Mine sits a bit low, but thats because of the exhaust... its been low no matter what engine is in there.

Turbo2 from autozone $15 in stock location
Cherrybomb from autozone $20 used as resonator
2" pipe should be fine.
Yup, that's exactly the plan, sort of...
I think I'm going to look for a stock vehicle wit ha 2" in/out resonator, rather than use a cherry bomb this time. I didn't like the rasp above 4K, but at lower RPM, I LOVED the deeper notes.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.