Honda CRX Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a cylinder head for my si sitting here that I am rebuilding and i figure why not replace the stuff in it. What i need is some advice and/or direction for what to get and what is most beneficial to me to replace. What valves and valve springs? Stuff like that. Any good places to get this stuff withought spending an arm and a leg? Any info is greatly appreciated, thanks in advance.

·
Registered
9,746 Posts
Are you going for a performance build or just a stock rebuild? At the minimum, you want to strip it down and resurface it, and replace the stem seals, lap the valves (or better get the machine shop to regrind the valve seats). If you want to build it, you will probably be fine with replacing the springs and retainers.

·
Registered
912 Posts
I just finished this up. Depending on the mileage of the head, you may want to replace the springs. The best thing IMO is to replace are the valve seals. There cheep at about a buck each and there a good and easy thing to replace. I would also lap the valves to make sure that they seal well. Seals and lapping are cheep, while new springs and valves are usuialy expensive. One other thing, make sure to check the bottom on the head and if its needed, have it milled a bit to flatten it out. Its just another cheep thing to have done while you have the head off. It would suck to do all this work and have you head leak because its warped a little.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I am sending it out for the resurfacing, porting, and to get generally cleaned. Definetly going for the performance I already have the skunk2 intake manifold and headers eady to bolt to this when it is done.

·
Registered
14 Posts
What price range are you working with? What kind of performance are you looking for? I know you said it's for your Si, does that mean your still using the stock D16A6?

From what it sounds like you have done or are getting done you really just need to know what kinda of cam you want to run. Maybe a little more then that. Depending on what info you provide though there are several things i could suggest.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah it's for a d16a6 I haven't decided on a cam yet I just have the cam gear. I have been looking at some places like exospeed that I found people mention on this forum but haven't ordered one yet. And as far as budget i don't want to go over $300 for any single part. Thanks

·
Registered
14 Posts
Eric_Draven said:
And as far as budget i don't want to go over $300 for any single part. Thanks
Hmm, ok. Aside from the P&P and cleaning of the head, no single part should cost you over $300. However depending on the cam you get and your desired rev limit you can still spend a good chunk of change putig this thing together.

With the mods you have already chosen I don'y thing you need anything to crazy. Since your looking in their direction already I'd say the SR909
(stage 2 ) cam Exospeed offers would be a good choice. It makes good power on relitively stock engines. You basicly already have everything you need to run it with maybe just the exception of a tuneable fuel management system. An SAFC would work ok for this and fits your budget, but something like a hondata or emanage would work better. However you would need to spend over $300 for that.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.