Honda CRX Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i want to put a d15b obd2 motor in my car which is a 3stage vtec motor. i wann knw how easy it is to install it into my 89 si crx, i heard about changin it from obd2 to obd1 for upgrade compter purpose , and the d15b is a hydro tranny , so what is need for the swap ?

thanks

· Registered
181 Posts
Before we tackle the details of putting a d15b in, you need to figure out how you're going to activate the "3stage" vtec.

There is no easy answer, that I'm aware of, or it would be a much more popular swap.

· Registered
2,605 Posts
grouch said:
you need to figure out how you're going to activate the "3stage" vtec.
The stock OBD-2 ECU I would assume.
IIRC, 3 stage VTEC motor combines VTEC-E and normal VTEC. The VTEC-E cam profile pretty much stops using 1 valve, increasing combustion chamber turbulence. At the same time, the ECU also switches over to a lean burn mode where it relies on a wide-band O2 sensor to accurately monitor the A/F ratio.
To properly run the things, you would need an engine management system that supports a wide-band O2, lean burn mode and also performance-oriented VTEC. That throws out all the USDM ECUs and for that matter, all the OBD-1 ECUs I'm aware of.
If you're thinking about using an RPM switch, you would be better off buying a D16Z6, 'Y8, or regular D15B VTEC.
If you want an OBD-1 motor with VTEC-E, look at a D15Z1. The D16Y5 is also VTEC-E, but it's got 100ccs more displacement, so you would be back to using an OBD-2 ECU.

· Registered
2,472 Posts
bobski said:
grouch said:
you need to figure out how you're going to activate the "3stage" vtec.
The stock OBD-2 ECU I would assume.

If you're thinking about using an RPM switch, you would be better off buying a D16Z6, 'Y8, or regular D15B VTEC.
If you want an OBD-1 motor with VTEC-E, look at a D15Z1. The D16Y5 is also VTEC-E, but it's got 100ccs more displacement, so you would be back to using an OBD-2 ECU.
I agree with above. I looked into it. There is a fellow at nippon-motors.com who knows all the details. You need jdm ecu and there are other wiring issues. More much simple with good results is the vtec-e. They consistantly get 45 mph as long as you keep the weight down.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.