Honda CRX Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
859 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well i tooks like i am getting an si motor from the site admin on midwestcrx.org for a bill 50, needs gaskets and a valve job,, i plan on makin it force fed, what do you guys think i should start with on the motor b/c i wanna do the same turbo set up i had on my miata t3/t4 hybrid intercooled

input would be great

·
Registered
257 Posts
how much money you wanna spend? thats where it all begins.

·
Registered
859 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i just want a decent motor build ont he interneals, i guess around 500 bucks on parts

·
Registered
912 Posts
If your forcing it, definatly upgrade the bottom end. The rods are very thin, and can only withstans so much force. After rebuilding my d16, i now realize it. I would get new rods, and low comp. pistons. after that you sould be set to turbo it. another thing, if you turbo it, get a good MLS head gasket, the honda cardboard one just wbont do. i believe they go for aout 80$, and the rods are about 250$, a little less for pistons.

·
Registered
859 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks i will deffenitly look into it

well it looks like 2 valves are burnt so what would be some good head upgrades on a budget? any other motors cams swap in for more ponys?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Tiersin said:
If your forcing it, definatly upgrade the bottom end. The rods are very thin, and can only withstans so much force. After rebuilding my d16, i now realize it. I would get new rods, and low comp. pistons. after that you sould be set to turbo it. another thing, if you turbo it, get a good MLS head gasket, the honda cardboard one just won't do. i believe they go for aout 80$, and the rods are about 250$, a little less for pistons.
Saw these gaskets on E-Bay for $50 shipped out of Fontana, CA - Matt Junker was the guys actual name, "guit-guit" is his E-Bay name there.
Also, Delta Cam in Tacoma, WA re-ground my ZC cam to turbo (Crane Cam 0014) cam specs for under $100 phone is (253)383-4152. Crane Cams no longer make the 251-0010, 0012, 0014 series for the SOHC 1.6L - was told they do have, or still make the 0016 (full race cam).
Looking myself for piston/rod combo to go into my setup . . . . . . . head is getting second stage p/p work @ local machine shop, see Endyn's site for stuff on that too - awesome work they do, but big buks.
Also, lookie here - http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/D16A6-HO ... dZViewItem

·
Registered
2 Posts
shadowcrx said:
thanks i will deffenitly look into it

well it looks like 2 valves are burnt so what would be some good head upgrades on a budget? any other motors cams swap in for more ponys?
A couple years back I decided to rebuild the head on a spare D16A6 I had sitting around. I ended up replacing the valves with Stainless Steel swirl polished valves (about $200.00), new OEM valve springs (about $100.00) and took the head to a local mechanic...there he did a mild port and polish and also a 3-angle valve job and re-assembled the head (about $350.00). Did some flow bench tests and the head flowed like a Z6 head, and I did notice a positive difference on acceleration.

Seeing how you want to go FI, you could look into a cam. Everyone will have differing opinions on which one to get...do your research and try to find people who will let you test drive their setup. I have no input on a cam...for what I was doing, it wasn't worth it.

good luck

1 - 7 of 7 Posts