Honda CRX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
‘90 Civic DX Hatchback
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so for an introduction,
I bought an ed hatch for $100 with no engine. I have no previous knowledge of working on cars. The same guy was selling a fully built d16y7 -crank from an ek for $600. My friend told me to buy it and here I am 6 months later. What was supposed to be a bolt in swap has had many many issues. To start, would running a high comp, bored, and stroked motor on dpfi misfire and kill itself? I understand that it's not really possible to tune dpfi and there are no base maps for an obd0 y7. I really need to just get the car started and then I'll worry about mpfi swap if I need to. I was wondering if anyone had a radiator hose map for a y7 swap in an ed chassis? Im also missing all my vac lines. Another problem Ive run into is that my model came with power steering??? I don't have a pump so I was wondering how I would go about deleting it. All of this is assuming my y7 will run on the pm5 ecu with dpfi. Sorry for anyone who actually knows what they're doing and had to read this hahaha.

·
Registered
1,965 Posts
My suggestion would be to try to find someone local to you. who is into hondas to pal around with and see if they would want to help you get this going. There is too much involved to have it all explained to you online. . a few bucks in cash maybe some beer or mtn dews and pizza. and you get one heck on an education. .

·
Registered
‘90 Civic DX Hatchback
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My suggestion would be to try to find someone local to you. who is into hondas to pal around with and see if they would want to help you get this going. There is too much involved to have it all explained to you online. . a few bucks in cash maybe some beer or mtn dews and pizza. and you get one heck on an education. .
Yeah, I know a few people but they either hella busy with work or live far away. Hard to get people to come 30min to help some kid with his piece of junk honda haha. Maybe I’ll go to ef meets to try and meet some new people, totally understand it’s a lot to explain all of this to some ignorant dude online 👍

·
Registered
2,986 Posts
With my 914, I hung out on Porsche boards and finally found someone local who was doing a bunch of work to his car. So I volunteered to help, figuring he could always use an extra pair of hands. We did get the work done on that car--eventually.

You can find out when your local Honda folks are doing stuff to their cars, and ask if they'd like another pair of hands. It's a decent way to learn, and they may be more inclined to drop by your place and help you after you've helped them a couple of times.

--DD

Reactions: Hahkay

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'll try to help you out:
  • You could probably get the motor to at least temporarily start and run on DPFI. It will never run correctly as you won't be able to tune it.
  • Radiator lines should be pretty much the same as the stock engine, especially if you're reusing the DPFI intake manifold
  • To delete the power steering properly you need to replace the steering rack with a manual rack, however, you could just leave it unhooked

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
How high is the C.R.?
How big was it bored out?
Stroke length?
lots more information is missing.

I would say not a chance. Better call who ever built it and ask Him for every single specs on the build. You will need that information anyway when the time comes to tune it( if its not blown by then) even with the right parts.

on a stock Y7 sure go for it. On that moded engine, no way unless you want to learn a $600+ lesson.

Jmo
I could be wrong, I've been before.

B2eho

·
Registered
‘90 Civic DX Hatchback
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
With my 914, I hung out on Porsche boards and finally found someone local who was doing a bunch of work to his car. So I volunteered to help, figuring he could always use an extra pair of hands. We did get the work done on that car--eventually.

You can find out when your local Honda folks are doing stuff to their cars, and ask if they'd like another pair of hands. It's a decent way to learn, and they may be more inclined to drop by your place and help you after you've helped them a couple of times.

--DD
yeah for sure, I’m only 15 and dont have an easy way to get around right now otherwise I’d be trying to help everyone, on top, all my car friends just left for college :/ No one who’s still here knows hondas. I know one guy but he’s always super busy. Ima try to go to local meets to find new honda friends haha

·
Registered
‘90 Civic DX Hatchback
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'll try to help you out:
  • You could probably get the motor to at least temporarily start and run on DPFI. It will never run correctly as you won't be able to tune it.
  • Radiator lines should be pretty much the same as the stock engine, especially if you're reusing the DPFI intake manifold
  • To delete the power steering properly you need to replace the steering rack with a manual rack, however, you could just leave it unhooked
Yeah I'll just keep it on dpfi until I can source pm6 and mpfi parts, I don't know the stock radiator hose routing because at local junkyards they're always ripped apart, no good online pictures that I could find either. I was thinking of replacing the steering rack and related parts eventually but if I can help it I'd like to find a temporary solution without ripping it out as Im low on money. The cooler is already out, would I just need a tank to recirculate the fluid? Thanks!

·
Registered
‘90 Civic DX Hatchback
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
How high is the C.R.?
How big was it bored out?
Stroke length?
lots more information is missing.

I would say not a chance. Better call who ever built it and ask Him for every single specs on the build. You will need that information anyway when the time comes to tune it( if its not blown by then) even with the right parts.

on a stock Y7 sure go for it. On that moded engine, no way unless you want to learn a $600+ lesson.

Jmo
I could be wrong, I've been before.

B2eho
so you're saying I should bigger injectors on mpfi and chipped ecu before I try dpfi? It was bored with sandpaper and machined with a dremel. I can ask my friend who built it for the specs and post back here. Im running stock d15b2 intake and y7 headers, I know it has vitara pistons but I have no idea for the stroke. For wiring I just picked up a manual dx dpfi harness along with the respective pm9 ecu, running it to a 90 dx auto chassis harness.

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
It was bored with sandpaper and machined with a dremel.
Ohhh Boy

Using sand paper to scuff or deglaze(propper term) the piston walls is not a bore not even a hone.
Using a dremel rotary tool is not a machined work either.

Ask the guy who put the engine together what is the compression ratio he was going for. This should give you an idea of what octane rating fuel to get. You will have to play with timing a bit too.

Btw
You can not run bigger injectors on dpfi.
D15b2 uses odd shaped injectors.

·
Registered
‘90 Civic DX Hatchback
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ohhh Boy

Using sand paper to scuff or deglaze(propper term) the piston walls is not a bore not even a hone.
Using a dremel rotary tool is not a machined work either.

Ask the guy who put the engine together what is the compression ratio he was going for. This should give you an idea of what octane rating fuel to get. You will have to play with timing a bit too.

Btw
You can not run bigger injectors on dpfi.
D15b2 uses odd shaped injectors.
Yes I was aware I cannot run bigger injectors on dpfi as well as no tuning options through te etc.
The guy who built my engine hardly knows Hondas, he owns a 1946 ford that he built and swapped a Windsor v8 into.
The engine came from a friend who was b swapping his ek, our other friend who had this ef decided to build that motor and put it in.
He never did that and sold the car and engine to me for under a grand.
Let's just say the engine was built in a teenager's garage to the best of his ability and I am forever grateful to him for it. At the time I knew absolutely nothing about any car at all.
I'll ask him about the C:R and such, my area sells 87,89,91, and 93 (US ratings) so I plan to run at least 91.
He knows what he's doing and he timed it properly and degreed the cams, we also put the dizzy straight on when we put the engine in and wired coils. Could I also do a compression / leak down test to find the compression in psi? I'm still very new to all this so sorry if it's a dumb question.
Also if I remember correctly he did use a hone but as we were cleaning the walls before putting the pistons in it snapped in half so we just used some high grit sandpaper. I also believe we used the dremel because the cam lobes didn't clear the top? Not sure on that but it was a dremel for dog nails haha
This weekend I picked up a pm9 ecu and respective complete wiring harness as mine was all chopped up, should I use my auto pm5 or just swap to the pm9. I found a writeup from nzhondas about how to go about wiring it so it thinks it's in park and all that jazz I just would rather not have to buy any more parts like a gauge cluster or something.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
20,393 Posts
You have no money, you have no one to help you, you have little to no base knowledge and by listening to "your friend" you bit off more than you can chew with this $600 "built motor".
Cut your losses, sell off what you can to recoup any money and start fresh by reading up, saving some money and buying a complete car, not a hack job project that you have to piece together.

·
Registered
‘90 Civic DX Hatchback
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
You have no money, you have no one to help you, you have little to no base knowledge and by listening to "your friend" you bit off more than you can chew with this $600 "built motor".
Cut your losses, sell off what you can to recoup any money and start fresh by reading up, saving some money and buying a complete car, not a hack job project that you have to piece together.
Oh okay I totally didn't realize how stupid this was already! If you're telling me to just give up why don't you also tell me who will buy this "hack job project." I'm already really close to getting it running and I honestly don't care if this "built motor" blows up because then I could just buy a junkyard d15b2 and swap it in way easier. I've already invested so much time, money, and effort to just give up on something when I'm almost done, just because some dude on the internet said so. I really like this car and I don't care how janky it is because I'm the only one who has to drive it. I can be proud that I put a car together, basically the whole thing - suspension at this point, which is ridiculous to me even now. Oh and by the way what's the point of reading up on something else when I could just read up on my current car, that I could realistically finish. I've basically been researching during all my free time anywayas. So yeah, thank you but I'll have to pass on that one. Sorry if I came off rude but your message came as an insult to me and my friends.

·
Registered
20,393 Posts
Oh okay I totally didn't realize how stupid this was already! If you're telling me to just give up why don't you also tell me who will buy this "hack job project."
I forgot I have to spoonfeed info to people like you...
Part it out, people are always looking for parts for these cars and IF you're smart enough, you may come out money ahead.

I honestly don't care if this "built motor" blows up because then I could just buy a junkyard d15b2 and swap it in way easier.
Yeah because you sound like you can afford to waste $600, then spend another $100 on a junkyard motor for which you have no idea on the condition.

I've already invested so much time, money, and effort to just give up on something when I'm almost done, just because some dude on the internet said so. I really like this car and I don't care how janky it is because I'm the only one who has to drive it.
That's one issue you don't realize, knowing when to cut your losses.
Love the lack of pride that you don't care how "janky" it is...:rolleyes:

Oh and by the way what's the point of reading up on something else when I could just read up on my current car
Clearly you missed the point here and I'll have to spoonfeed info to you again...
Read up and inform yourself about these cars before you go diving in.
It's ridiculously stupid to go head first into something, putting what little money you have available into a sinking ship, then having no way of finishing it.

Sorry if I came off rude but your message came as an insult to me and my friends.
Good, message was relayed correctly then as it was supposed to be, so at least you figured that one right.
Your friend isn't much of a friend if he steered you towards this motor, you shell out the money for it, the doesn't even seem to help or have the knowledge to share.

my current car, that I could realistically finish.
:LOL:, uh huh, ok....I suppose we'll see.

·
Registered
‘90 Civic DX Hatchback
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
I forgot I have to spoonfeed info to people like you...
Part it out, people are always looking for parts for these cars and IF you're smart enough, you may come out money ahead.

Yeah because you sound like you can afford to waste $600, then spend another $100 on a junkyard motor for which you have no idea on the condition.

That's one issue you don't realize, knowing when to cut your losses.
Love the lack of pride that you don't care how "janky" it is...:rolleyes:

Clearly you missed the point here and I'll have to spoonfeed info to you again...
Read up and inform yourself about these cars before you go diving in.
It's ridiculously stupid to go head first into something, putting what little money you have available into a sinking ship, then having no way of finishing it.

Good, message was relayed correctly then as it was supposed to be, so at least you figured that one right.
Your friend isn't much of a friend if he steered you towards this motor, you shell out the money for it, the doesn't even seem to help or have the knowledge to share.

:LOL:, uh huh, ok....I suppose we'll see.
Ok I see why no one uses the forums anymore, because you scared them all away. If you say that my friend doesn't have the knowledge to share then maybe you should have figured out why I posted in the first place. I don't care if you insult me as long as you share some helpful knowledge, and telling me to get rid of my car doesn't count. I'm already having trouble selling parts that I've had listed for months now. So yeah, that'll be a big pain. So could you at least tell me if I need to swap to the pm9 ecu? I understand the pm5 will look for an egr valve and without it hooked up my exhaust could run hotter, however I swapped the manifold and downpipe to a y8 and I'm using the ef's cat. Other than that I'm switching to a manual engine harness as the car's harness went missing. So I have a pm9 ecu and engine wiring harness. Would this work with my auto dx chassis harness? Thank you.

·
Registered
‘90 Civic DX Hatchback
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Ok so I messaged my friend who built the motor and got some specs. Compression ratio should be around 0.2 to 0.5 higher than stock as well as around 1700cc displacement. Bored, stroked, high comp pistons, and gapped rings. Sorry for any confusion. I did some more research and found that the pm9 runs at 20hp less than pm5 due to the less aggressive fuel map. I’m swapping to the b7 intake mani as it has no egr valve. Could I use the b2 pgmfi dpfi system on the b7 mani with pm5 ecu to get a richer mixture? Or would it not work because there’s no egr. I don’t care about the 20hp and I’ll most likely be swapping to mpfi either this summer or next. I’d prefer to use the ecu which would be better for the health of the engine but whichever works for me. Sorry for posting do much and repeating some info 😕Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
20,393 Posts
Ok I see why no one uses the forums anymore, because you scared them all away.
1. People are too lazy to look up the archived info and research, using online info as well as Honda factory service manuals.
2. Good!

If you say that my friend doesn't have the knowledge to share then maybe you should have figured out why I posted in the first place. I don't care if you insult me as long as you share some helpful knowledge, and telling me to get rid of my car doesn't count.
I don't have to figure anything out because I don't buy trash and my cars all run as they should.
I'm not the one that took on a project that;
1: I couldn't afford
2: That I don't have the knowledge or skill to figure out.

If you've got the balls to back your friend up, how has he helped you? If he is so knowledgeable, especially telling you to buy this motor, how is this not running by now?
The guy that sold this to you saw the opportunity to sucker someone out of $600, taking the money and running with it.

I gave you some advice based on your vague details about the issues you're having, your low amount of knowledge, skill base and funds to actually put towards this.

·
Registered
‘90 Civic DX Hatchback
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
1. People are too lazy to look up the archived info and research, using online info as well as Honda factory service manuals.
2. Good!

I don't have to figure anything out because I don't buy trash and my cars all run as they should.
I'm not the one that took on a project that;
1: I couldn't afford
2: That I don't have the knowledge or skill to figure out.

If you've got the balls to back your friend up, how has he helped you? If he is so knowledgeable, especially telling you to buy this motor, how is this not running by now?
The guy that sold this to you saw the opportunity to sucker someone out of $600, taking the money and running with it.

I gave you some advice based on your vague details about the issues you're having, your low amount of knowledge, skill base and funds to actually put towards this.
I can't believe I have to explain all this to you so that I can validate myself for owning this car but whatever, I'll do it if it means you'll help me out;
Let me clear a few things up.
One of my friends bought the ef and then blew the b2
Our other friend was b swapping his ek
the guy with the ef bought the d16y7 as well as parts to build it
he made our other friend build the engine for him
The ef civic dude's parents got mad at him for never working on it and made him sell it
He then made a deal that I buy the car for 100, engine for 600, and trans (also from ek, which I can't use) for 200
The friend who built the engine said he would help me and it would be easy to swap in (he had researched the swap previously when he was building the engine)
He helped me for a few months but not often as he lived 30 mins away and drove a gas guzzler
Now they're all in college.

As of now I should have all the parts necessary for the swap, which both my friend who built the engine and I researched for a few months.

As for giving me advice on the "vague details" I gave you why can't you just answer some of my questions? It surely takes less effort than coming up with ways to insult me and the questions were straight forward. I already said I'm not getting rid of this car. Hopefully now you'll be inclined to help me out, otherwise if you're just gonna argue with me I'm not going to respond. Thanks.

·
Registered
2,986 Posts
Could I also do a compression / leak down test to find the compression in psi?
Unfortunately, there is no specific relation between the compression pressure in PSI and the compression ratio. To know the ratio you basically have to measure the pertinent volumes, which means pulling the head off--something I do not recommend doing.

I suggest starting with about a quarter-tank of regular-grade fuel, and listening for extra noises from the engine. Generally preignition (detonation, pinging) will show up under medium load at low RPMs when the engine is fully warmed up. If you get any, put a quarter-tank of premium-grade in. This will basically give you a half-tank's worth of mid-grade. If you still get that extra rattling or pinging noise, fill to the top with premium. You'll have a tank full of almost-premium-grade fuel at that point.

I have no experience with the details of most swaps, so I can't help you on your specific questions.

--DD

·
Registered
20,393 Posts
I can't believe I have to explain all this to you so that I can validate myself for owning this car but whatever, I'll do it if it means you'll help me out;
Let me clear a few things up.
One of my friends bought the ef and then blew the b2
Our other friend was b swapping his ek
the guy with the ef bought the d16y7 as well as parts to build it
he made our other friend build the engine for him
The ef civic dude's parents got mad at him for never working on it and made him sell it
He then made a deal that I buy the car for 100, engine for 600, and trans (also from ek, which I can't use) for 200
The friend who built the engine said he would help me and it would be easy to swap in (he had researched the swap previously when he was building the engine)
He helped me for a few months but not often as he lived 30 mins away and drove a gas guzzler
Now they're all in college.
You wasted your time typing all of that as it is IRRELEVENT to what is going on with the car, I don't need a back story about how you got this pile of parts.

You have told us NOTHING about where in the process you actually are in the swap, what you have done or haven't done to the car, what you have tried, haven't tried, ect.

if you're just gonna argue with me I'm not going to respond. Thanks.
Whew, good.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts