Honda CRX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got a 1990 crx euro spec. The guy before me put a d16z5 engine in it. Its a dohc non vtec. Is it possible to get a vtec head from a B series engine?

·
Administrator
16,562 Posts
SOHC heads and blocks don't mix with DOHC heads and blocks.

There is a possible exception, but that involves engines from 87 and earlier. And actually, I only heard of one person ever doing that, so maybe he was lying. It was a DOHC D16A1 head on a D15A3 block.

·
Registered
181 Posts
jfrolang said:
And actually, I only heard of one person ever doing that, so maybe he was lying.
He wasn't lying...its plainly documented over at Redpepper. And while it worked okay...it soooo wasn't worth the effort/expense.

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
Nooby post but is there a way for my to put a vtec head on my d16a6. if there is wut should i get and do? probably nooby ?in but wutever

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
ya i no its called a mini me swap i see them all the time im asking wut head should i get? for my d16a6 i see people talking about y8's and stuff

·
Administrator
16,562 Posts
You have two choices for a head when doing a mini-me swap, you can use a D16Z6 head from a 92-95 Civic Ex/Si, or a D16Y8 head from a 96-00 Civic Ex.

a Y8 head will allow you to use your stock distributor and has better combustion chamber shapes that prevent detonation.

·
Registered
9,746 Posts
I think you should use a Y8 if you can find one, but it's a lot easier to find a Z6. People say the Y8 will give too high compression, but I think you will be all set if you just use the regular pistons. The Y8 is nice because everything pretty much bolts up to the A6 block, and if you stay OBD0 your dizzy will bolt up too. Also, since they came off newer cars, they are generally younger.
I'm running a Y8 head, Dren and Tiersin have Z6s. There are a couple of other people on here waiting to do their swaps too, we have a good support group for when (not if haha!) it doesn't work.

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
Well omg i got a y8 already its in my civic and i was just wondering if it was possible for the a6 to go into my civic 97 ex that way i wouldnt have to buy another head? OMG if any1 wants to come and help me on my crx i will pay you 30 dollars to come to richmond va plz i need some1 that will actually give me a hand because alot work on my car would be easyier with another hand. And im really gonna pay you to take the head off my civic and put it on my crx i dont no how to do that stuff. but willing to learn.

·
Registered
9,746 Posts
Don't tear apart your other car for the head. You can find a good SOHC VTEC head for sale and keep the Civic on the road so you will have something to drive when you're working on the rex. Chances are you would have problems getting the mini-me going, and then you would have nothing to drive, or at the very least you would have a slow crappy civic that you wouldn't want to drive.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Well how about instead of doing all of this mixing and matching, just put and h22 vtec engine in? They sell them at "www.importstreetscenes.com" under "motor swaps."

·
Administrator
16,562 Posts
An H22 is a rather involved swap, and certainly more expensive than a B16, which is practically bolt-in. Both of those options are also considerably more than just a head swap. We all have big ambitions, but sometimes we need to work within our own budget. I'm sure jfish would be into bigger and better things if he could afford it.

That said, H Motors Online is the best place to buy an engine swap. :wink:

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.