Honda CRX Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm getting started with the buildup of my Turbo D16. All of the engine builders in my area don't use a torque plate (deck plate) when boring the cylinders. They do all use a Sunnen Machine. Larry at Endyne told me that it's highly recommended to have the plate to simulate the cylinder head and provide for better cylinder alignment during boring.

My question is this:

How important is the use of a torque plate when boring, and if I can't get it done with one, is it going to noticeably affect the engine at all?

·
Premium Member
4,512 Posts
Umm...I don't know how the engine builders do in Canada Kyle,but I just did my D block at a local race shop and he went out and bought a deck plate to properly bore my block .010 over.

Although I'm not familiar with Sunnen I can't say I would feel comfortable if they bored my block w/out one.

In fact I looked at all the deck plates my friend had at his machine shop and he used them on all his boring jobs.

Be careful dude.
If your interested I can get my friend here to do your block.I'll ask him on a quote if you want.

·
Registered
190 Posts
I'd think it would be very important, the shape of a block is not the strongest shape (open at two sides, not triangulated, etc) and putting a bunch of stiffness on the top would be mandatory insurance for getting nice circular bores. You'll probably want to find someone that's got one of these just to be sure.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
After some searching, I found this place:Active Engines They have some very big name customers, and were willing to take the time and discuss my project. He even invited me to visit the shop on a Saturday for an after hours shop tour. He also doesn't use a torque plate but explained that he does not deem it necessary since the head bolts are not threaded into the block in an area that can distort the bores when torqued down. (Since they're around the outer edges of the block)

He went on to explain that when the threaded holes are close to the bore, they can pull the cylinders out of round when the head is torqued. Those engines require a torque plate.

He also mentioned that a set of stainless steel valves are a good idea since the exhaust temperatures are hotter in a forced induction engine.

Hope this info helps others in the same boat as me, trying their hands at rebuilding for the first time.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.