Honda CRX Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6,567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I have a D16Y8 head. I have a ZEX (Comp) 59300 Camshaft I want to run in it. The cam is designed for a d16z6 (which I used to have it in). I know the distributor phasing of the 2 camshafts is ~4 degrees off.

I have available to me both adjustable cam gears for an a6/z6 and a y8 adjustable cam gear. Will either of these work appropriately at their 0 marks?

Ive been confusing myself for 2 days over this. Any help is much appreciated.

Also, when I create my base ignition timing, I know the a6/z6 i tuned from 16 BTDC and the y8 is tuned from 12 BTDC, should this worry me? do i need to do something special?

The block is a Z6 and the head is a y8.

Thnaks!
[email protected]

·
Registered
778 Posts
You need to use the cam gear for the cam, not the head. So line it up with the Y8 adjustable cam gear. I think the cam gears between the two are off 4.5 degrees. When the "Up" part is up on the Z6 cam gear the key way is also up. When the "Up" is up on the Y8 cam gear the key way is pointing slightly to the north west.

Use the Y8 cam gear and you should be set. Either gear will work but to get it timed right you will need the Y8.

Or....if you want to use the Z6 gear with the Y8 cam....http://www.d-series.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=10940&d=1145893489

·
Registered
778 Posts
wait my bad, i thought you had a z6 head and a y8 cam.

you want the cam gear to match the cam you are using

you can use either gear though. if you use a z6 cam and a y8 cam gear...follow the picture i posted a link to

·
Registered
778 Posts
the head doesn't really matter. It's the cam that matters because where the cam gear attaches is rotated between the two. That is why you really should use the proper cam gear with the right cam. The head doesn't matter.

here's the picture (use this only if you are using one cam and the other gear)...

·
Registered
6,567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
oh well that makes it easy. I guess that makes sesne too. people are silly, filling me up with all these fears. why on earth would someone use the wrong cam gear, especially when its impossible to adjust the stoc one 4.5 degrees haha?

oh well. thanks so much, so Ill use the Z6 cam gear, and use it like normal. Then I will apply my cam advancement adjustment to compensate for my head milling.

[email protected]

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.