Honda CRX Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
whew. first post... well here it goes.

i have a couple of questions with swapping heads.

1st: Can a D16z6 head fit on a D15b2 block easily? Im running with a D16a6 head on my D15b2 already, but will I run into any problems with the vtec?

2nd: What will I need? (headgasket, vtec solenoid/rpm switch?, ecu, etc.)

3rd: Would you recommend it? Given that I dont want to spend money for a complete swap, the only reason why im thinking of a z6 is because i have one lying around and my a6 is in bad shape. i dont really care for HP gain.

thanks a lot!

·
Registered
9,754 Posts
Yes it will work. If you want VTEC, you need to remove the oil jet between cylinders 2 and 3. You also need pistons with reliefs for 4 valves each, which you probably already have since you're running an A6 head. Yes, you need a new headgasket, and timing belt. You might as well replace the water pump too. Get a Y8 or Z6 metal headgasket... like this one. You can use an RPM switch to activate VTEC, but there are other, better ways to do it, probably the best is to use a P28 ECU and harness (convert to OBD1).

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
heh. jfro's right, but i do have the pistons from an si in there anyway.

thanks for the answers guys. im not doing the swap till summer but im so stoked. i've been reading up on the rebuild threads and i cant wait to clean the **** out of my engine. hopefully if i do it right i'll be able to make a "how to".

·
Registered
2,605 Posts
Someone correct me if I'm wrong but, the D15B2 and D16A6 heads are identical with the exception of the cam profile. 'A6 pistons in a 'B2 will murder your compression... The compression calc says 7.86:1 (Stock 'B2 compression is 9.2:1). A 'Z6 head and gasket will only bring that up to 8.5:1.
A stock D15B2 bottom end with a 'Z6 head and headgasket will put you at a much healthier 10.1:1.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.