Honda CRX Forum banner

d16z6???

9K views 24 replies 9 participants last post by  Baker 
#1 ·
wud up its me agian, earlier i was thinking about doing the ZC swap into my 89 crx si but now i was looking into the d16z6 swap instead. i heard this was i wont have to worry about it not being street legal ( so i heard ) my question is, is this a recommended swap and what kind of hp would i be expecting from this engine. any comments are welcomed, thanks

#2 ·
I just recently did this swap. its worth it and completly legal. the z6 makes 120-130 hp. you can bump this up my using high comp pistons. heres what you will need:

Z6 head - from a 92-95 Civic EX?
P28 ECU - for best results
wire conversion harness
Timing belt for a civic ex
adjustable cam gear

#3 ·
A D16Z6 is a legal swap in California so long as you swap the whole engine and match the ECU (P28 in this case). This means you'll need to convert the car to OBD-I, but you can keep your transmission. It's rated at 125hp compared to the 108 found in the stock D16A6. This is more peak power than you would get from a SOHC ZC and almost as much as a DOHC ZC (129), though I bet the Z6 has more "area under the curve" due to VTEC.

With I/H/E, I would not be surprised if you get close to 140 hp.

Tiersin said:
I just recently did this swap. its worth it and completly legal. the z6 makes 120-130 hp. you can bump this up my using high comp pistons. heres what you will need:

Z6 head - from a 92-95 Civic EX?
P28 ECU - for best results
wire conversion harness
Timing belt for a civic ex
adjustable cam gear
Tiersin, you're describing a mini-me, which isn't legal in CA. He needs to swap the whole engine.

#9 ·
jfrolang said:
A D16Z6 is a legal swap in California so long as you swap the whole engine and match the ECU (P28 in this case). This means you'll need to convert the car to OBD-I, but you can keep your transmission. It's rated at 125hp compared to the 108 found in the stock D16A6. This is more peak power than you would get from a SOHC ZC and almost as much as a DOHC ZC (129), though I bet the Z6 has more "area under the curve" due to VTEC.

With I/H/E, I would not be surprised if you get close to 140 hp.
For the money and availablity, this makes me rethink my future DOHC Zc swap.

Twin cam Zc, essnetially drop in and bolt up OR go SOHC with d16z6 and have vtec? UGH....

#13 ·
if u are going to go with the z6, instead get the jdm d15 vtec, same as the z6 but under rated from the factory at 130 and has 2stge vtec, its smaller at 1.5l but makes more power than the z6 and the y8. trust me there is this guy i know down here in orlando has that swap and he smokes, z6s,y8s, and even some b-series. here is the link
http://www.hmotorsonline.com/shop/sc200 ... item=30019

#15 ·
kantfadedisazn said:
if u are going to go with the z6, instead get the jdm d15 vtec, same as the z6 but under rated from the factory at 130 and has 2stge vtec, its smaller at 1.5l but makes more power than the z6 and the y8. trust me there is this guy i know down here in orlando has that swap and he smokes, z6s,y8s, and even some b-series. here is the link
http://www.hmotorsonline.com/shop/sc200 ... item=30019
Are you talking about the 3 stage vtec? I have been interested in this for some time but I hear the wiring issues are not easy to resolve.

I was thinking of putting it in a daily driver. I understand they get 45 mpg! and have good power.

#23 ·
The 3 stage VTEC motors simply combine power-oriented VTEC with VTEC-E. It will not make any more power than a D15B VTEC or a D16Z6. What you get is peak power similar to a D15B VTEC combined with peak fuel economy similar to a D15Z1. There are USDM performance VTEC motors and USDM VTEC-E motors, but no USDM motor with both, so you really do need the JDM ECU to run it properly. If you're thinking about buying the 3 stage motor and running it with a P28, you would be better off with a simple 'Z6 or 'Y8.

#24 ·
I've got a JDM SOHC VTEC ZC, which is almost exactly the same as a Z6, i think it might have 5 more HP due to a slightly different cam profile or something. Mine has a Y8 intake manifold, I/H/E, etc. and it's not too bad, pretty comparable to the good ol' DOHC ZC (I've had one of those, too). Either one is definitely an improvement over any stock USDM CRX engine, and much cheaper than a B-Series swap.

I'll probably end up supercharging mine next spring...we'll see.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.