Honda CRX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys,

I'm still very new to crx's and to this forum but i've been driving my'90 dx for a few months now and i really love it. I'm used to driving a 7k lb SUV with 220 hp so the stock dx is a blast.

The 1.5 D15 is definately getting tired though with over 200k miles and i would really like a little more power. The rex is my DD and needs to stay that way.

Any quick opinions on what would be the best swap for the money. I know the b16 is popular but sometime i have considered just the d16a6 SI motor with a header and exhaust.
also, all said and done what is a realistic price for either of these swaps?

Thanks.

·
Registered
428 Posts
For a daily driver, with no plans for super high end just more stop and go power for cheap:

B18A/B

It will make a night and day difference in torque (what you use to get off the line at a stoplight), and I've heard may accounts of this swap getting up to 40MPG.

Plus, neither of these are VTEC so there is less demand AND they are easier to wire (less complex).

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Any idea what a complete b18a/b swap would cost in parts?

Also, what would a honda shop typically charge to do the swap?

I just purchased a complete a/c system for my crx and before i go to the trouble of installing it on the d15 w/200k...i'm wondering if i should hold off and try to do a cheap simple swap.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I love my d16a6 with header and intake. Its a fun dd. I plan on doing a swap in a year or so but im staying in the family and going to do a d16z6/y8 boosted. My friend in colorado had a 93 hatch with a d16z6 with header and intake and that car was quick ecspecially the vtec was awesome.

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
yo cruiserhead where in va u live?

im planning on doing a mini swap and putting a y8 head on my d16a6 and then boosting. And once i blow that motor up im gonna go with a d16z6 block and build it up. but d's are better then b's dont follow the herd ull end up in the band wagon.

but then again this is all my opionion <---- cant spell.

·
Registered
2,801 Posts
Cruiserhead05 said:
Any quick opinions on what would be the best swap for the money.
Depends on "how much money" you want or CAN spend, and of course what the overall goal of the car is. You first need to know what you want it to end up being, so that way you actually have a path to go down.

For instance, if money isn't as big of an issue, and you want the MOST bang for the buck, a K series is right up your alley... K's generally start out where a B-Series stops, even after tons of mods and lots of money spent on the B... so if your goal would be a very fast setup, and you have the $$ to spend to get the K underway, it would be your best option.

Of course not many people think like that, and just want the cheapest thing/swap they can buy, and thus enters the B18A/B... its faster than stock, but it depends entirely on what your version of "fast" really is 8)

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for all the opinions. Originally i was very much into older land cruisers and 4-wheeling, i still am very much into that. Its my passion.

However, at 12mpg and 2.99/gallon i couldnt afford driving the big beast everyday. I almost bought a corolla as my gas saver but decided the 5-speed and 2 seater crx might be fun.

Over the summer i have learned to love the car alot. I'm maintaining 30mpg or so and still having a blast driving it. For the most part, that how i want it to stay. I want the crx to be my daily driver that is very reliable but i also dont want my but handed to me when i race a big turbo diesel truck.

I think the most i would want to spend on a motor all said and done, installed is maybe 2k or 2500.

·
Registered
181 Posts
on a budget, I would suggest:

sohc zc (118hp) and Si (or equivalent) tranny.
26hp gain plus better gearing equals a big kick in the pants.
Doing your own work, you could pull that off for around $1300-1500.

d15b vtec (128hp) and Si (or equivalent) tranny.
36hp gain but you need to convert to obd-1, so that adds to the expense of the swap to about $1500-1700. The advantage here is not just in hp, but fuel economy...if you can stay off the aggressive vtec lobe, it just sips fuel.

·
Registered
30 Posts
my friend is selling a complete swap ready to drop in any crx.
here is what he has B18A1 COMPLET ENGINE WITH BRAND NEW MAIN&ROOD BEARINGS
ALSO NEW PISTON RINGS FROM CROWN ACURA
ALL NEW GASKETS CAM SEALS NEW CRANK SEALS NEW ALSO
HEAD ITS BEEN STREET PORTED&POLISHD AND THREANGELJOB
PORTED INTAKE TO MATCH PORTING ON HEAD ALSO COMES WITH
OBDO DISTRUBOTOR DARK GRAY VALVE COVER PRICE IS
$1200OBO

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
I think the idea of a B18B isnt bad, and in a car with the wieght of a CRX youll have a night and day difference in how the car responds when you punch the accelerator. IMO for the money I think the best swap you can go with will be the JDM B18C(GSR)w/LSD, you may spend more money getting it installed in the car when its all said and done, but every penny spent will be well worth it, and if you think your car is a blast to drive now, if you do this swap just wait and see :wink: And on top of it all youll still get around 35-40 mpg if you drive it right.
Like composimo said it all depends on how much money you want to spend and how fast you want to go, but as far as a b series is concerned the GSR swap is probably the most cost effective swap before you start looking into a K20.

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
he said all he wants to spend is 2500 all installed and everything. He wants it installed at a shop. red89si if u have a b18c with lsd for 2500 ill take it. :lol:. seriously
It really gets me mad when people dont read post.
just go with a b18a/b because it would fit in your budget if u include the installation and all the other stuff u might have to get.

if you got 4 grand for the engine alone and then how ever much it will cost for the installation sure go with a jdm b18c5 or wutever with the lsd also.

·
Premium Member
4,512 Posts
Kant,
You say "complete drop in" meaning trans,linkages,harness,ECU, and axles?
If not thats not a complete drop in.
Please be specific.
Thank you....

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
jfish360 said:
he said all he wants to spend is 2500 all installed and everything. He wants it installed at a shop. red89si if u have a b18c with lsd for 2500 ill take it. :lol:. seriously
just go with a b18a/b because it would fit in your budget if u include the installation and all the other stuff u might have to get.

if you got 4 grand for the engine alone and then how ever much it will cost for the installation sure go with a jdm b18c5 or wutever with the lsd also.
I dont have a B18C for 2500, but hmotors is pretty close:
http://www.hmotorsonline.com/shop/sc200 ... item=30008
spend 300 more on that price and you have the good LSD transmission
so that puts it a 3000 for one of the more cost effective swaps you can get.

If you can budget 4-5 grand youll probably be able to cover the swap, parts and labor.

2500 would be lucky to get you an OBD1 B16 w/LSD installed, honestly Id recommend budgeting about 4-5 grand to get anything decent (i.e. OBD1, B series, and LSD) the K series is even better, but youll probably push over that 5 grand ceiling with parts and install.

jfish360 said:
Me too, and I also feel the same way about people who cant spell. And if youd thoroughly read what I said, youll be able too tell that I DID read what he posted, so next time try practicing what you preach. :wink:

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
YA you explained the most cost effictive "b series" swap. but his budget is 2500 and UR swap is about 5 grand LOL your not anywhere close to his budget so it was pointless for U 2 even mention. i mean i can see if UR talking about a 3000 or 3500 dollar project because your saying if U wanna spend just a LIL more look WUT U can get. But UR freaking crazy and saying spend 5000 on a motor for your daily driver. if he was to even spend 5 grand y not buy another good condtion 88-91 si and boost it??? :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: now that shows u how much money 5 grand is.

"think your car is a blast to drive now, if you do this swap"
go and buy a b18a off of ebay of course, then buy the biggest turbo take it to the shop tell them to install all of it and mail the old motor to me. then
dont tune the turbo you put on. Then pay a shop to drill holes in the frame and strip the car then run as much boost as u can before it blows. and maybe some naaaws this should only cost you 15 grand so just budget 2 years of you food money into this and it will be a blast to drive :lol:

i can spell good enough for me to understand. 8)

·
Premium Member
4,512 Posts
Alright guys enough of the "puffing chest" disease please.
Please think about the posters needs over defending your honors.
If you must argue please do it in PM's.
Now if you please. :focus:
If you can offer good advice to this gentleman please do if not dont.
Thank you...

·
Registered
778 Posts
Pick up another D15B2 for next to nothing. Good gas mileage. If you want a few more ponies, upgrade to the D16A6. It should be a drop in swap. You will have to do a little wiring to run the MPFI. You will also need an A6 ECU. All of this is cheaper than throwing in a B series or doing an OBD1 swap. You do not need to purchase motor mounts, shift linkages, etc.

You can expect around 115hp or so with a D16A6 and a header and intake. They are fun motors, quicker than you would think, but not a rocket.

It is a cheap very reliable swap, especially for a daily driver. You want to know that your car will start up every time you walk out to get in. If you ever want more power in the future you can easily modify the engine to gain another 20hp or so just with bolt-ons (not turbos).

Depending on the price you pay for the motor, you could have all the parts for under $600.

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
ollie said:
Alright guys enough of the "puffing chest" disease please.
Please think about the posters needs over defending your honors.
If you must argue please do it in PM's.
Now if you please. :focus:
If you can offer good advice to this gentleman please do if not dont.
Thank you...
I apologize if I came across as trying to puff my chest, my intentions for my statements are only for the poster to consider his options, and not limit himself to go the cheap route. And the poster was stating he was wanting opinions on the best swap for the money....

IMO there are too many people out there who are going cheap when it comes to modifying hondas, and frankly I think it makes those of us who take the time to do it right look bad.

Cruiserhead05- dont think that going with a good b series is out of your budget, as Ive reiterated in my previous posts, evaluate your budget, and allocate a little more if you need to, or get a loan. Several friends of mine have refinanced auto loans on their projects to get the swap they wanted, and made money on those cars as well when they decided to sell them, (those who decided to sell that is).

jfish360- as I said before, LEARN HOW TO SPELL, you may be able to understand yourself, but that doesnt mean anyone else can understand you, and how does that put you in any position to give advice to anyone???? for gods sake I had to read your last post through 4 times to guess what exactly you were trying to say.**Sorry ,but that last comment was unecessary and deleted...

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
wutever keep talking ****, and now i got more to say now so here.

This is a plan if u had 5 grand and wanted 1 good gas mileage realiable crx and another 1 to drive around to rip up some pplz on the road.

mmmm if i had 5 grand i would buy another crx so i could still have a daily driver and now have a weekend warrior type of car. and with the extra 2500 left over i would buy a nice d series for 600 dollars leaving me with lets count 1900 :shock: and with that 1900 i could buy a kit for a sohc deseries motor for roughly 1 grand. have it tune and dynoed for about 400 or so then with the leftover 500 i would drive all the way to your house and make u eat rubber cause ur so stupid to belive 5 grand for a motor with 189 hp and 126 trq is a AWESOME deal DUDE

and dont give me the crap because i didnt add in shop fees

de de de (mind of mencia) thats y u have 2 cars so u can work on this 1 and ask the people on crxcommunity all the how to's and wtfs that u need to ask to get your car done.

And y hell would u take a loan out just for a motor to put in ur daily driver? sounds like weekend drag car to me :wink:

or if u want to keep it realiable d16a6 header exhaust intake no ac belt
!BAM!

sorry for the language and the bad typin i really cant help it im de de de

·
Registered
3,255 Posts
If you stay d-series, swap out that DX tranny for an Si or ZC trans, that will make it even more fun.

If you go b-series, check out a basic b16a swap. You can probably do it for 2300- if you look. Shouldnt be hard. I know most people think the b16 is overrated, but its still a fun motor.

One option you might also consider, along with a b18a/b LS swap is a DOHC ZC which is a d-series, so you could if need be use the DX tranny or up to the Si or ZC trans. If you wanna race a turbo diseal, I also suggest a Y1 Y1-S1 trans for the B rather than a LS trans.

A Si or ZC trans may take up your mpg buy 1-3 miles, but it'll be more fun. The DX trans will give you about the same or better mpg with a beefer D-series. If you want the ultimate mpg, get a HF trans, expect like 47mpg, or in that area. But you'll be lucky if you make it to 3rd gear on the street. For the B, a LS trans will give you more mpg than the y1-gsr trannys, but same deal with DX verses Si etc, you'll have more fun with the lower geared transmissions.

I just vaguely summed up the tranmissions since no one else mentioned them. I think a trans can make or kill the fun after a swaped motor.

Damn its 3am, how in the hell did I type all that into any sense...if any...

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.