Honda CRX Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
9,746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, after looking at every possible combination [that I can afford], I've decided what I'm getting for my new suspension. First off I'm getting the ES polyurethane bushing master kit to replace all my 15 year old worn/cracked/missing bushings. For struts I was debating between Koni Yellows, which everyone recommends, and Tokico Illuminas, which 90% of people also recommend. I'm going with the Tokicos, since they are over $150 cheaper, and I haven't seen convincing evidence that Koni's are better, other than the price. For springs I'm getting Ground Control coil overs, they're more expensive than the Neuspeeds I was looking at, but of course they are adjustable, and the spring rates are a little better. The Neuspeeds are F/R 575/450, and the GCs are 400/550. If I'm wrong let me know, this info came from a former CRX-owner friend who ran both on his car. I'm hoping the higher rear rates will make the car understeer a little less. Adjustability is a big deal too, so I won't be plowing snow in the winter with a 1.75" drop the Neuspeeds give, but I can drop up to 3" for autocrossing. I'm looking at about $600 for the whole setup, I've been shopping around for a while and it seems to be a pretty good price. Will I need to adjust the camber with the coilovers?
I really want to have a good suspension setup, I'm joining my local SCCA, and I want to be competitive in CSP. With the car stock, I do pretty well at our school club autocross, but even other CRX drivers who are better than I am can barely improve on my times in the fun runs, I think the car is at its limit and needs some upgrades. On top of that, I'm hearing all sorts of squeaks from the front passenger side, and my rear driver's side tire is cupping pretty badly, so I think that strut is bad.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Tom,
Whatever you do, I am sure you will make a good decision. I don't have any input on the suspension. I do want to keep my crx as stock as possible, but I know I need to replace some of the syspension bushings on my car.
Please make a write-up on this as I can not find a write-up on what bushings to replace and how. Take pics too. I know it is a pain in the ass to stop and take pics of everything that is being done, but it is well worth it. :)b You the man.

·
Registered
2,801 Posts
Tom, hit me up on AIM when you get a chance... i can help i think.. hehe.

If you want help setting up specifically for Auto-X, AIM JonnyBlackx as well... he's pretty savvy with suspension setup for auto-x 8)

·
Registered
9,746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Kev: I'll tak pics and do a write-up, mostly it's going to be me filthy and swearing about the old bushings coming out. Also, I don't know if you will be able to do it at home, I'm going to use the shop at school, where we have a hydraulic press to make things a lot easier.

John: I'll get you on AIM, but you're rarely on! I want a good AutoX setup but it's also my daily driver, hence the adjustability in the suspension.

·
Registered
25 Posts
After a few months of hemming and hawwing, I came to the same conclusion as you on the Tokico Illuminas. I just ordered a set yesterday, along with Tein S-Tech springs. Wasn't really sure what to do about springs, even after scouring thread after thread of pictures of CRXs with varying suspension setups.

Having recently installed new wheels/tires I wanted to get my suspension squared away before getting an alignment. I found a decent deal on the Tokico/Tein package and even though I'm not 100% on the springs, I figure they're a good starting point and will allow me to get a better feel for exactly what I'm after.

Please post your experience with the GCs -- interested to see how that works out for you.

·
Registered
257 Posts
ya tom..you can hit me up on my aim also. I am on monday-fri almost all day. see sig for the ady. My setup that I use for daily/autoX is simple, cheap and very comfortable. Its not really hard to get what I got going some people think it is "you cant have everything" but with a little trial and error..it took many years of "tweaking" my suspension, trying out many combos, to get it the way I like. We will see what we can do for ya.

peace

·
Registered
6,567 Posts
Ive installed ksports in an impreza and d2s in a G20, they are pretty much identiacl coilovers. They are good for the money in my opinion.

I have Tein SS coilovers on my crx and Omnipower coilovers on my integra. Im going to be ditching the teins and switching to omnis on my crx as well. Ive really enjoyed them.

Back when my crx was my DD i rode for 2 years on illuminas with custom rate ground controls. when i got them that was a 650 dollar proposition, but I was impressed in the end.

Suspension is a very personal thing, and sometimes it takes more then one try to get it exactlyu where you want.

[email protected]

·
Registered
527 Posts
kansaskev, thought you might be interested in a thread from K20a.org regarding the bushing kit. Go to the site and search for "Energy Suspension Installed" by sevndustn. Pretty cool idea.........

·
Registered
428 Posts
BTW, keep an eye on Harbor Freight. You can get a 6 to 12 ton press perfect for less than $50.

·
Registered
9,746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I would be careful with Harbour Freight. They have a store near here in albany and occasionally we buy stuff from them at the shop. Usually it doesn't last long. It may be that we put a lot of stress on the tools, but I get the impression that the quality is low. Anyway we have a nice press at the shop I've used for a lot of things, I'll be using that.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts