Honda CRX Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
6,567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Heres the scenario,
1989 Civic Hatch DX 5 Speed, 2??k miles. The only mod is Iron Oxide weight reduction.

For a long time the car has been without maintenance..at least a year or two. The distibutors been clicking pretty hard core and the thing eats oil like nobodys business. The owner has resorted to putting used oil in it, since a QT lasts about a week or two.

He calls me up today because the car has NO power, so I go check it out. Go to drive it, running ok, feels a little sluggish. Car gets way worse as it warms up, to the point of 4th and fifth being useless. Having trouble breaking 50, but the car sounds ok.

So I pull off the dis, and its a mess. Replace with a known good. Theres oil leaking everywhere, so I did a valve cover gasket set, along with plugs and wires, since those were garbage as well. The car is now idling better and reving smoother, and leaking les oil, but it still has no power.

I guess Im going to swap the fuel filter next, and it occured to me today that maybe the cat is clogged? Any other suggestions/questions?

The key is to fix this thing for free/cheap as possible. It only cost $275 8 months ago when we picked it up, and the plan is to invest as close to nothing in it as possible.

I have a known good Fuel Filter here off an old CRX so Im gonna use that, and I guess I can battle the rust and get the cat off. If its back to normal power open header, then well know what the problem is. I was worried it had a spun rod bearing or something, but the car sounds fine to me, and it revs smooth when not under load.

Thanks in advance!
[email protected]

·
Registered
6,567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
cool...it just clicked on my ride home...no power, oil burning got way worse...obstruction... [email protected]!!!!

haha, well Ill pull it off tomorrow and see what happens i guess. thanks for the affirmation.

as a bonus, ill postup picturs of the rust problem. its amazing! the car has no rockers left basically.

[email protected]

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.