Honda CRX Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3,255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yeah I know, this is my second thread but this one I cant confirm. And this one is longer....

A friend of mine has had a 90hf for awhile, its been in the bodyshop the whole time. Its seen maybe 40 miles, if that since hes had it.

Anyway he bought it with the motor blown, apparently the woman who owned it before dumped transmission fluid down into the motor.
It threw a rod through the front of the block. Pretty bad. Size of my fist... :shock:

Well then he bought a beatup 88 HF with a rebuilt motor, that had been sitting for a long while. Some ricer had it, but he had the papers for the rebuild done by a mechshop. $300 bucks for the whole thing.
When he got it it didnt run, the ECU was basicly dead so we tried the one from the 90, started right up after a working dizzy and plugs. But we didnt check the codes, we actualy just test drove it with only the emergency brake. It did fine. Didnt act stupid...read on.

We then swapped that 88hf motor into the 90hf. And since then its been throwing codes for the intake air temp sensor. (IAT) and the coolent temp sensor. Both of which have been replaced. And it acts very stupid. Sometimes it'll start right up fine, others it'll start up and after warming up a bit, do a weird reving thing where its pumping betwen 900 and 1500k rpm, Constantly. Sounds like its have a heart attack or something.
And others it wont even start. And its blown the fuse for the ECU a few times if Im not mistaken, but that maybe his 4 door DX Im thinking of.
Hes been fooling with this thing for almost a year now, but not alot since its getting alot of bodywork done to it.

When we did the swap we just unplugged the engine harness in the bay in the 88, and plugged it back up in the 90. With the 90 ECU.

Today while looking around on the web I came across a post saying 88-89 mpfi dizzys are diff than 90-91s. (which Im not sure if thats correct) Is anything else diff that would be causing issues? We plugged my 89Si ECU up in it and it and it threw the same codes, while his ECU when we tried it in mine did fine. But this was for just about 5-10mins to make sure the ECU hadnt went bad.

I ask this now because he recently told me its getting painted soon. So I thought I would ask here if anybody know what might be going on with it.
I also ask this because I plan on putting a fresher (188k+ vs 112k woot!) 91si motor in my 89. And I would rather not have some weird issue.
Thanks, laterz....

·
Registered
274 Posts
cbp_crx said:
Someone correct me if I am wrong, but i believe you need to use the 90 harness. I think there are some differences between them.
89-89 Engine harness have different pins location in the big "plugs" than the 90-91.

if the engine is in a 90-91 chassis, use a 90-91 engine harness.

·
Registered
3,255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
huh, I hope he has that harness still laying around LOL.

If not, the 88 harness can just be repinned to match the 90 harness right?
And were could I find the pin outs?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.