Honda CRX Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How to: BB6 cluster into CR-X

What: Installing the gauge cluster out of the 97-01 Honda Prelude into a CR-X

Tools and Materials: Phillips screw driver, 10mm socket, good wire strippers, electrical tape, heat shrink, solder and soldering iron. Most of all patients Cause it can get tight in there. I did mine with the dash harness out of the car.

Step 1. (Assuming you've removed your old cluster already) There's minimal shaving of the dash needed (like a 1/8th of an inch probably less) to get it sit perfectly like the EF cluster does. I used a dremel not shown here.

drivers side trimming

passenger side trimming

Step 2. You have to remove these metal brackets to get the cluster to sit flush (not my pic borrowed from the 99 SI cluster thread)

Step 3. Now comes the fun part the wiring. Since nobodies done this before or at least documented a step-by-step how to.

Here's your CR-X wiring and what wire does what
90-91

E6 is you door open warning light

88-89

C12 is you door open warning light

Now for the prelude wiring

ignore the D plug and pins A9, A11 C5, C6, C12. And for some reason i didn't have A10 or C9 but my gauge cluster pig tails are from the jdm prelude type s so that could be why.
Also remove the bulbs from the srs and Abs light cause they'll stay on and its a little annoying

Since I'm a nice guy here's the wiring done for the 90-91

wiring for the 88-89 guys

Step 4. cable To electronic Vehicle Speed Sensor

since I never had a cable vss to begin with so I also borrowed this from the Si cluster swap thread

Step 5. Wiring the vss

Now for wiring the electronic Vehicle Speed Sensor is the same as below except instead of pin b6 the signal wire goes to pin B3

First off I believe it looks better than the gsr and civic si clusters and it fits better without cutting off part of the temp and fuel gauge. It's also the same shape as the 90-91 cluster hood so it sits in like it was meant to be. For the most part it's pretty straight forward. Most of the wires it's just matching them up.

Finished pictures

Hard to see but the gauge lights are on

and again ignore to auto cluster I'll be putting the manual cluster in sometime this week

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
@ F2B, why do you have so many Prelude parts on your crx?
its like a Trans-modeled CRX . Feels like a prelude on the inside, but it really is a CRX

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
j91SI said:
Nice man, I actually kinda like it. Good write up, easy to fallow from the looks of it. :)b
Thanks, it was pretty easy once I got a hold of the proper wire diagrams

Baker said:
I don't like how it looks, but it's an excellent and well explained write up!
Thanks I tried to be a clear as possible. Nothings worse than reading a terrible D.i.y

no_rex4u said:
@ F2B, why do you have so many Prelude parts on your crx?
its like a Trans-modeled CRX . Feels like a prelude on the inside, but it really is a CRX
I like to call it my "pocket Prelude". I also have a 5th gen Prelude.

JohnnyBlaze said:
Maybe he has a Prelude parts car and he's trying to reuse parts.
Looks good, great write up
Close I actually have and been building 5th gen prelude as well and most of these are hand me downs/ups from the prelude

snarflebits said:
Cool write up. Thanks for adding it to the site.
Thanks. Honored to contribute to the community. :)b

·
Registered
2,701 Posts
Excellent writeup.

It doesn't take much extra work to snap a few pictures while you're working on a project, and they can be very helpful for the next guy doing what you did. I wish more people would make writeups.

Very nice.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Just wanted to add one thing... I did this swap and may I add that it's a wonderful addition to my car... All the wiring is correct... But... Please do add that the B1 wire red/yellow does need to be grounded or the high bean indicator light will not work... I'm glad I am very good with 12v and wiring in cars or I would went outta my mind trying to figure this out... :)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.