Honda CRX Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have an 89 CRX with a 92-95 head and a stock(d15b7) bottom end. i took it to the shop because it idles at 4000 RPMs when it starts, and then gradually drops after it warms up. after the guy at the shop looked at it, he told me the distributor wasnt on right....and then it hit me, i think. the stock distributor is obd0 and the 92-95 si head is obd1. if this is right, let me know...and also, how do i fix it? do i have to convert to obd1, wiring harness and everything, or can i just get the obd1 distributor? dont come on my thread and call me and idiot for not knowing. if you can help me, please do. thanx
-Ian

·
Registered
779 Posts
cashkidd720 said:
dont come on my thread and call me and idiot for not knowing.
This isn't honda tech, you don't need to worry.

But to me it sounds like your mechanic isn't telling you the truth. I've never seen a poorly timed dizzy (that's all the dizzy placement does, is the timing, internally it sends spark) make an engine idle that high. Does your vtec work (side question)?

Sounds like it's more a bad IACV to me. Does the car have any CELs?

·
Registered
9,746 Posts
The OBD of the head doesn't matter, as long as the ECU and dizzy match. If you mismatched the dizzy/ECU then the car wouldn't even run. There are a few other things that will affect your idle: IACV, FITV, throttle screw, cable position, etc.
When did it start doing this?

·
Registered
779 Posts
downest said:
The OBD of the head doesn't matter, as long as the ECU and dizzy match. If you mismatched the dizzy/ECU then the car wouldn't even run.
Actually that is not true. I have an OBD2 dizzy on an OBD0 engine with OBD1 ECU. It's a honda, if everything is wired properly you can run anything on anything haha.

·
Registered
9,746 Posts
ludesrv said:
downest said:
The OBD of the head doesn't matter, as long as the ECU and dizzy match. If you mismatched the dizzy/ECU then the car wouldn't even run.
Actually that is not true. I have an OBD2 dizzy on an OBD0 engine with OBD1 ECU. It's a honda, if everything is wired properly you can run anything on anything haha.
I should have been more specific. OBD1 and OBD2 are compatible, but not with OBD0. The distributors use different pulse rates and they won't work right together. The OBD of the engine doesn't matter.

·
Premium Member
4,512 Posts
downest said:
The OBD of the head doesn't matter, as long as the ECU and dizzy match. If you mismatched the dizzy/ECU then the car wouldn't even run. There are a few other things that will affect your idle: IACV, FITV, throttle screw, cable position, etc.
When did it start doing this?
Slap your mechanic for being ignorant and expecting you to pay for his naïveté...

I am with Tom on this one.
Most idle concerns are a symptom of a failing IACV...like Tom said. :wink:

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
well, i bought the car with that stuff already done to it. i didnt pay a mechanic to do it. and he said he had put a 92-95 Si head on it. but apparently thats all he did. the dizzy is the obd0 stock one and the holes dont line up at all. it has one bolt holding it in at the top and thats it. i took it up to a shop to find out why it idled so high and the guy said he couldnt do anything because my distributor was pathetic and not on right. and then i realized he didnt put the right distributor on it...which brings me to my question. can i buy the 92-95 vtec dizzy and it will work with all the stock obd0 wiring, or should i just go ahead and buy the kit from rywire and convert it to obd1...my vtec isnt hooked up(one of the reasons i was gonna convert to obd1). thanx

·
Registered
779 Posts
cashkidd720 said:
well, i bought the car with that stuff already done to it. i didnt pay a mechanic to do it. and he said he had put a 92-95 Si head on it. but apparently thats all he did. the dizzy is the obd0 stock one and the holes dont line up at all. it has one bolt holding it in at the top and thats it. i took it up to a shop to find out why it idled so high and the guy said he couldnt do anything because my distributor was pathetic and not on right. and then i realized he didnt put the right distributor on it...which brings me to my question. can i buy the 92-95 vtec dizzy and it will work with all the stock obd0 wiring, or should i just go ahead and buy the kit from rywire and convert it to obd1...my vtec isnt hooked up(one of the reasons i was gonna convert to obd1). thanx
Well ya, with this new information I say go to rywire and get the OBD1 kit and get yourself a P28 ECU (the one for your head) and get the OBD1 dizzy, but make sure your kit includes that wiring. Specify it whne you purchase the kit just to make sure. Get the OBD1 dizzy and start enjoying your Si Head. Unfortunatly, it still probably won't fix your idle issue. Check the posted messages above.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
alright guys. thanks 4 tha help. i swear if i had posted this on a different sight i would have got some asshole telling me i could weld a peice to make it fit and splice some wires and hook my vtec to a toggle switch. but you guys cleared things up. thanx again.
-Ian

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.