Honda CRX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
3,003 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What's your opinion on Imports vs Domestics?
American muscle is a true V8!!!13.23%
Imports for life!!!619.35%
both have their strong points but I lean towards the V8.722.58%
both are good but I give a little more respect to Imports1754.84%

·
Registered
3,003 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Well lets just say that the ever so popular debate between domestics and imports has come up between me and a friend and now I'm just wondering what you guys think. To me it seems that a domestic car's big V8 is fun and has so much more TQ that it's not even funny......But then you consider that a 4cylinder that might not have as much TQ or power can still keep up is pretty cool.

So I think that for a full purpose track car I LOVE the american muscle of a big V8......but when it comes to a daily driver.....getting 40mpg is quite a bit nicer haha.

and since not all american cars are V8's I'd put up a similar car......a neon srt4 is crazy fast for the money they cost.....less than 20grand from the factory with a turbo is what dodge wanted to give us (and then take away after only a few years)

And trying not to be biased because of your love for the crx......what's your guy's opinion's on the domestic (American) cars vs Imports?

heres some vids just cuz I'm bored :D

And just to let evryone know where I stand....for a dailydrive I love the crx but my true love is the 500horsepower Dodge in the garage :D

·
Registered
301 Posts
Blah, who cares anymore, its all a matter of personal prefference and the almighty pocketbook!
I do love my CRX though. But if I could go buy a new Z06 vette, the rex would hit the trash can quicker than I could get to the dealership!

·
Registered
4,386 Posts
JKG08 said:
So I think that for a full purpose track car I LOVE the american muscle of a big V8.
I think you are confusing track and strip. On a track all musclecars are utterly useless. In fact, everything that doesn't involve a straight line and a mile of space to brake will render a muscle car useless.
They are fit for 2 things only. Cruising and dragracing. And even then most are still desperately overweight to keep up.

·
Registered
3,003 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ok SETI......yes.....strip is probably more apropriate.....or is it?.......ever been in a viper or a corvett......how about a mustang with some suspension work??......they are heavier and you can tell but they still can take a turn much better than you might want to admitt.......plus lets not forget the smaller domestic (or should I say American for those of you outside the US) like the srt4

·
Registered
114 Posts
i like v8 cars better. (notice i didn't say domestics). i've always loved the sound of a rough idle v8 and the torque is just awesome.. for a daily driver/ street runner honda's fit the bill. cheap on insurance, great on gas, easy to modify. both are cool as hell when modified.

03 cobra..not stock - http://videos.streetfire.net/search/sna ... 426eb2.htm

this del sol will never streetable but still sick. skip halfway through to see it drive.
http://videos.streetfire.net/search/634 ... 368a4b.htm

·
Registered
108 Posts
My seven-year-old is always asking me what my favorite make of car is. Here's my list in descending order.

1. Honda/Acura-CRX, RSX, Prelude, Civic, Accord (owned them all)
2. AC Cobra (dream on)
3. Mazda - 6, Millenium, 3 (owned 6, Millenium)
4. BMW - M3, 7 series, 6 series, Z4, Z3, 3 series (owned a Z3)
5. Toyota Supra (1980s)
6. British Leyland - Mini cooper S (original, like 1964)
7-996. ----------------------------------------
997. Hyundai anything
998. Chrysler anything (excl. Mercedes)
999-1,493,220 ---------------------------------
1,493,221. General Motors anything (except chevy trucks)
1,493,222. Any Chevy truck

I guess this just makes me a bigot, right?

·
Registered
191 Posts
Well, for practical purposes I'd always go import (Japanese specifically, Honda more specifically). It's a lot more useful to get good mileage, cheap insurance, and the other stuff that's already been said.

OTOH, at a recent engineering function at my school (The Ohio State University) GM was there with some vehicles. They had a yellow GTO (the new one) into which they had swapped the entire Z06 drivetrain (the LS7 with 505 HP) and put on some 4" straight pipes. They let me take it up and down the rev range a couple of times. Let me just say, a 427 with straight pipes and solid motor mounts makes sounds that make everyone smile, and getting off the throttle shakes the car in a way that is wonderful in a way that I can not describe.

So, the trend seems to be that in reality Imports are superior, but in a budget unlimited world, big and ridiculously powerful V8's are too much fun to discount. Also, as for the handling, a Corvette with a decent set of tires handles very, very well (so long as you respect the fun pedal).

·
Registered
9,843 Posts
For Pure All-Out Power, I would have to take a gas guzzlin domestic. When it comes to what is going to take me to work on a daily basis, its going to be an import, unless the american car makers can pull something very efficient, stylish, and reliable out of their asses.

One of the next project cars I'd like to start is a street rod. LS7 with C5 independent suspension, full 'glass body, 4w disks, thats if I don't have to build another CRX for Robyn first...

There is something about the smell of a muscle/classic car exhaust that just sets me off. I love my imports, but they just don't have the lines, chrome, smell, power... but they can handle and are still fun to drive, plus, they are fairly cheap still :p

·
Registered
2,027 Posts
I'm more into handleing than horsepower. Go fast in a straight line does not excite me. The corvette is about the only american that I could ever see myself owning. So I guess I have to vote for imports. I would love to own a Lotis some day. :D

Edit: I have also grown to hate chrome. It is a chrome war for muscle cars.

·
Registered
110 Posts
I love imports simply because as a daily driver they are an all around better car... That being said the nicest car(IMO) that I have ever seen/ridden in was a tube frame with a brand new z06 drivetrain and the shell from a 63 stingray.

·
Registered
276 Posts
I'll say I love everything about my CRX, except the lack of torque. For that, nothing beats a V-8+. I got a chance to drive a Corvette, a CTS-V, and an STS-V at SEMA this last year, and all I can say is I was disappointed with my low end power for a good month afterwards.

As for buying a new car, I'd stick to the imports for their reliability (Japanese) and their attention to detail and quality of engineering. However, the US automakers are catching up, and soon the distinctions of old won't be so easy to see. As for a truck though, if I was doing anything heavy duty (towing, hauling, etc.), I wouldn't buy anything but American.

·
Registered
2,037 Posts
DOmestic versus import? You area aware that many of the "Japanese" cars are designed, engineered and manufactured right here in the US right?

Anyway I couldn't vote on this because american muscle is truly defined by the v8, but also Japanese companies do produce the most efficient and reliable cars today.

I don't know which is better, but I do know that if i was going to buy a new car today, it'd probably be an s2k. ~2.2hp per liter; Who else beats that on a car that will last many hundreds of thousands of miles???

·
Registered
20,417 Posts
rex2nr said:
For Pure All-Out Power, I would have to take a gas guzzlin domestic. When it comes to what is going to take me to work on a daily basis, its going to be an import, unless the american car makers can pull something very efficient, stylish, and reliable out of their asses.
Sums it up perfectly for me.

My biggest gripes with "American" car companies:
-cheap looking and crappy interior.
-reliability
-exterior styling

·
Registered
109 Posts
Personally, I walk the line between all of them. A musclecar can be made to handle. That seems to be the big trend right now. I've had my fair share of V8 power. I gave up my Mustang for my first Civic. I am also not against american economy cars either. I've had 2 Focus ZX3's from 2000-2006. Great car for the money. Even though everyone rags on them. Mine only asked for timing belts. And I racked up a total of 140,000 miles on both of them. They handled great right out of the box. But both of mine were lowered. And were very peppy and torquey. Which brings me to my current addiction, my CRX. Although I loved the Civic hatch I had also. Good cars with an ease to work on and great gas mileage. Even though the CRX gets the same gas mileage as both of my ZX3's (33 mpg). The domestics are catching up quickly.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.