Honda CRX Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,029 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am wondering if MPFI or DPFI A6 will achieve better gas mileage? I have an A6 that I am going to swap into a DX and I have not decided if I want to convert the engine to DPFI or change to MPFI. I only need injector clips and a resistor box for a MPFI swap but I already have everything to change the engine to DP. I'm not really worried about hp. Really good gas-mileage is more important. Although I will be running power steering(it's a civic) and maybe a/c. Since my crx doesn't have a/c it would be nice to have a vehicle that I could drive in the summer without sweeating to much.

Any help would be great. Thanks
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
779 Posts
MPFI gets better MPG in my opinion. My SOHC ZC got better gas mileage then my auto D15B2, and I was running an Si tranny.

With a DX and easy driving, expect near 600-650km to a tank like I did. AC and PS will ruin it tho. AC will decrease that number by about 10-15%. Running belts ruins mileage and power. Sorry man. I told that to my friend with his H22 accord and he removed PS right away lol. Anything for power.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,029 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't know if I will use power steering. It is not that bad not having it in the crx so a civic should not be much if any worse. I could put the a/c belt on for summer and then take it off in the fall. Then I would have a/c for the summer and better gas mileage the rest of the year.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
779 Posts
george34 said:
I don't know if I will use power steering. It is not that bad not having it in the crx so a civic should not be much if any worse. I could put the a/c belt on for summer and then take it off in the fall. Then I would have a/c for the summer and better gas mileage the rest of the year.
Very true. Running the belt temporarily will help overall. Unfortunatly a sitting AC unit may seize up on you, so lubricate it properly before removing the belt in the fall. If you wanna remove PS, please do so properly with a NON PS steering rack. PS racks use PS fluid in some parts for lubricationg I was told, replacing it with a non PS one will also make the car a little bit lighter (along with the removal of the PS pump, lines and the bracket, about 30-40lbs in total).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,029 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ludesrv said:
Very true. Running the belt temporarily will help overall. Unfortunatly a sitting AC unit may seize up on you, so lubricate it properly before removing the belt in the fall. If you wanna remove PS, please do so properly with a NON PS steering rack. PS racks use PS fluid in some parts for lubricationg I was told, replacing it with a non PS one will also make the car a little bit lighter (along with the removal of the PS pump, lines and the bracket, about 30-40lbs in total).
I first have to get the car swapped/running with the "new" engine. So the a/c is not a problem. I might just run power steering and then some other time remove the PS. The PS would still function without the PS pump, right? Could it cause the rack to fail out by not having a pS pump?

Does anyone else have any opinion about the DPFI/MPFI getting better gas mileage.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,567 Posts
ludesrv said:
if you wanna remove PS, please do so properly with a NON PS steering rack. PS racks use PS fluid in some parts for lubricationg I was told, replacing it with a non PS one will also make the car a little bit lighter (along with the removal of the PS pump, lines and the bracket, about 30-40lbs in total).
I installed fittings on either side of my rack and ran a reservoir setup that allowed the fluid to flow back and forth thus keeping my power rack lubricated without going through the effort of swapping.

[email protected]
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
779 Posts
mattminerDOTcom said:
ludesrv said:
if you wanna remove PS, please do so properly with a NON PS steering rack. PS racks use PS fluid in some parts for lubricationg I was told, replacing it with a non PS one will also make the car a little bit lighter (along with the removal of the PS pump, lines and the bracket, about 30-40lbs in total).
I installed fittings on either side of my rack and ran a reservoir setup that allowed the fluid to flow back and forth thus keeping my power rack lubricated without going through the effort of swapping.

[email protected]
Yes you could do that. But the correct way of removing it is using the parts that didn't come with it at all. Just like removing AC, you should replace the heater core with a non-ac one and get the grommet for the firewall, but very rarely does anyone do that. Most people don't even remove the lines from the heatercore, they just pinch them.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,029 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I would have to change the crank pulley on the A6 so that I could use AC and PS. I think I will run PS for awhile then if I come across and nonPS rack I will swap them. I won't worry about ac till summer is closer.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
779 Posts
george34 said:
I would have to change the crank pulley on the A6 so that I could use AC and PS. I think I will run PS for awhile then if I come across and nonPS rack I will swap them. I won't worry about ac till summer is closer.
Use the factory one that came with the car with AC and PS. It will bolt up to your A6. I hate doing swaps with AC, stupid compressor dangles in the way, lines are a pain to go around them. But if you do it right it looks really nice.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,029 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I did a search on HT and there were two results saying id DPFI or MPFI is better for gas mileage. They said MPFI(like ludesrv guessed) should result in better MPG. The only problem is that there data to back it up was not very good. One guy said he was getting 20 with DP and was now getting 38 with MP. There must have been some problems that he was only getting 20 mpg.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,844 Posts
I really wouldn't worry about power loss with the AC off. The compressor uses a clutch which disengages the compressor if the AC is off. As long as the pulley is lubed well, you shouldn't need to worry about the power loss with only an extra pulley. The AC off is just like having an extra tensioner in your timing belt. Losing 15% of your power would really only apply if the AC is on.

I've run my car with and without the belt, but I never noticed a difference.
 
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top