Honda CRX Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings,

first time poster here curious about lowering a 90 CRX Si. I'd like to drop my car enough to eliminate some of the wheel gap on 15" rims. However I don't want to chew up my tires. So I'm wondering how much of a drop I can safely do without having to worry about a camber kit. I've heard before that I could use H&R OE Sports just fine without needing to adjust for camber. I'll likely be using Tokico Illuminas.

Thanks for your opinions!

Lang

·
Registered
2,801 Posts
Some cars are different, but usually at most, 1" or so... however, you'll still want an alignment just to re-straighten the toe once lowered.

Now, as a major Camber Kit distributor (I sell Ingalls), i just have to ask... why exactly are you trying to avoid installing a camber kit?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ComposiMo said:
why exactly are you trying to avoid installing a camber kit?
The main reasons were to keep costs low and installation as simple as possible. Perhaps you can allay my fears on either point?

Thanks for the reply,

Lang

·
Registered
2,801 Posts
Absolutely... i'll send you a PM tomorrow with details 8)

By the way, yes, a camber kit is more expensive than none in the beginning, but over time, the camber kit pays off... especially if you want your car to look a certain way, and the lowering without the kit just isn't low enough ;)

·
Registered
214 Posts
If you use a die grinder you don't need the camber kit.... but making sure it stays where you set it could be another story.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
akirarex said:
If you use a die grinder you don't need the camber kit.... but making sure it stays where you set it could be another story.
Eep! Sounds a little too drastic for my tastes/abilities. I'd rather go with a camber kit if it came down to it.

Thanks for the idea though...

Lang

·
Registered
119 Posts
ComposiMo said:
Care to elaborate on why exactly he should be taking a die grinder near ANY portion of his suspenison?
yeah..im really curious about that too, i dont recall die grinding any suspension parts...ever.

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
your main worry should be toe not camber...toe eats tires a lot faster than camber would do...

my crx is dropped almost 2 inches (Eibach Sportlines). I have -2.5 camber and 0 toe; no uneven tire wear...

·
Registered
633 Posts
crxgator said:
your main worry should be toe not camber...toe eats tires a lot faster than camber would do...
Agreed, my car's dropped around 1.5 inch (Eibach Prokit), aligned it myself by eye and almost no visible uneven wear. Tires are almost bald now to boot.

·
Registered
10,897 Posts
crxgator said:

my crx is dropped almost 2 inches (Eibach Sportlines). I have -2.5 camber and 0 toe; no uneven tire wear...
Same setup I just get my car alligned every year and have never had wear issues.

·
Registered
2,801 Posts
However, proper camber is still very important to the handling of the vehicle, and how it tracks down the road, reactes while hitting bumps, in the rain, etc... And it does help with tire wear.

·
Registered
633 Posts
Sorry, wasn't trying to argue against camber kits, on the contrary, I'd prefer my tires be straight just that it's not the tire eater that toe is.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts