Honda CRX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I posted this on honda-tech and figured I should post for you guys as well, seeing as this was the site that motivated me to build another crx...
So after 3 months of searching for a new candidate CRX to begin my new project I found this 1989 Rio Red Crx Si. After everything was said and done I ended up picking her up for $800. Clean title, no accidents as far as I can tell majority of the interior parts intact. Cons- stock engine has a thrown rod, a/c was removed - a must in Texas, sunroof was rusted, groofy looking taillights and corners, cracked windshield and funny looking wing he put on. Now keep in mind I will be building this car as weekend toy. Below are also a couple of pics of my previous crx as well, I don't plan on going as crazy on this one. I'll keep you updated on the progess, probably won't be as quick as i'd like due to other priorities that come first, remodeling the house as well.

The imola orange Crx was one I built in 2002

Some pics of my Canteen Green coupe

Now on to the newest member of the family
How I brought her home

Rusted out sunroof

yeah those taillights are wing are coming out :thumbdown:

New sunroof assembly I picked up

Let the work commence

Picked up a couple of red spray paints, the rust-olem matched my faded roof really well :thumbup:

old one was rusted completely through

old suroof's final resting place

painted and in

Thats all for now

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
MarkWilliamson said:
I really like this picture. Either you're really paranoid about crashes (which I can appreciate) or you forgot to strip out the rest of the interior of you race car! :p

Seriously, is there some class of racing that requires you to simply add a roll cage while keeping the backseat etc. in? :?
Not that I know of, I just like this look better as opposed to it being stripped out.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks for the postive feedback, I found a stock motor for $100 buxs to replace the blown one until I can save up for what I really want. hopefully I will have time to go pick it up this weekend.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
alright guys, a little update...so I picked up a stock 91 si motor for dirt cheap from a local guy on Tuesday. My girlfriend's father let me borrow a hoist and engine stand to pull the old motor out so I can start swapping over the parts to the replacement motor.

Had to move the bike out to make room for surgury

My buddies, Mike and Micah came over and we cracked open an 18 pack and got to work

2 hours and a case of beer later and she's out

Well it looks like the replacement motor is going to need alot of work, need to change the gaskets, replace the header studs and switch over all the missing parts from the old motor onto this one.

so much to do and so little time....more updates next weekend :thumbup:

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
alright a little update on what i've done...which isn't much as its fiesta week here in good ole San Antonio, which means i've been doing more drinking and parting than anything else :thumbup: if your ever here the last week in April its worth checking out...the whole city gets down.

So my girlfriends father came by and we pull the tranny off the old motor and bolted it up to the new one and put on the started the check the compression before installing it. We hooked up a battery to the starter and grounded it to the block and cranked the motor while checking each cylinder. 1 is 185, 2 is 180, 3 is 165 and 4 is 175...not to bad for an old motor. Since he is a manager at a Chevy dealership he offered to help order my gaskets and parts at the local Honda dealership for their price ;) So I got on order

Gaskets - intake, exhuast, valve cover, oil pan,
Water pump
Thermostat w/gasket
Distributor o-ring
front and rear main seal
front motor mount as mine is broken

So while i'm waiting on parts, I spent a good four hours building shelves from the local home depot so I can finally get all my crap off the floor and organized the garage. Tomorrow i'm going to start degreasing the engine bay.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Alright, I had friday off of work and was able to get some work done on the car.
Got the new gaskets, motor mount and thermostat in

Got the engine on the stand and was able to get the oil pan off

Driveshaft seal

Oil pan gasket

Front motor mount

Thermostat

Got the transmisson, starter and distributor on

Well the motor's complete and ready to be put back in, should have some time this week to work on it, if not for sure on Saturday. All for now...

-Chris

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Rex_89 said:
you got some clean cars. The orange looked sick
thanks bro, I don't plan on going as flashing with this one but it will defintely be clean when its all said and done.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
As of right now I plan on re-painting it rio red or absolute red off the toyota, but who knows when it comes time to paint I might change my mind.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
looks pretty sweet, yeah I love red crx's

Well we finally got the motor in and all the plugs, hoses, axles, shift linkage, etc on. Filled the oil and took off the started and filled the tranny. Motor started up on the second try and we adjusted the idle, but when I put it in gear to drive it would not go anywhere. So I thought "what the f**k, I've never put a tranny together and figured I screwed something up" so I called it a night since it was almost 1am and I had to work in the morning. Today after talking to a couple of people, my bro advised me to check the axles and make sure they are all the way in. Ended up the passanger side axle was a 1/4 inch out, got that put in right, ,started the car and tried to put it in first...no luck...hmmmmm. Well after calling my brother (alexsracing) for the 100th time I had the clutch cable too tight, fixed that and shifted like butter :thumbup: . Then the check engine light came on so I checked the ecu light and it was throwing an code 8 TDC (top dead center) sensor error. So its either the timing is off which I will have to get a timing light to check or the distributor is bad since the sensor is built into it.

On a better note, a guy off a local forum called me today and said his friend wanted the carbon fiber style taillight and would trade for his stock 91 taillights. He came by and we swapped them out and I took off the wing and gave it to him as well. Car is starting to look more OEM :thumbup:

I'll get pics up tomorrow

-Chris

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
some new pics:

Motor's in and running

Picked up some 91 taillights

Old lights out and wing is removed

Harness's plugged in

Looking good

Gotta get the spoiler holes welded up and painted

Next I will be focusing on getting a brake and suspension upgrade....hopefully also find the a/c components to have cool air for the summer.

GO SPURS... :D

-Chris

·
Registered
69 Posts
Considering the fact that im about 30 mins. away from Oakland, I would have to say im against your last statment about Dallas, but otherwise good **** on the crx. I like the tails. And motor swap looks good too.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.