Honda CRX Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
795 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK you all know my story I bought a 90 SI at the end of August and since then have been working to get it road worthy. Well today was a major milestone.

I am pretty much done everything I REALLY needed to do so I decided it was time I tried actually driving the car move than 10 feet. So I went over the car like 5 times making sure I hadn't left something unscrewed or off the car completely. Once I was sure nothing was going to go flying off of my car I jumped in and started her up.

Started good and strong on the first try and I had no problems. You might remember I complained about smelling a burning smell awhile ago... Well I am pretty sure it was my coolant that had leaked onto the engine block being burnt so to make sure I let the car sit and run for about 15 minutes (The whole time walking around the car and smelling it to make sure the smell was gone.) After I was convinced that nothing was burning I got in and took her for a little ride. Since the car is uninsured and has no plates on it I just drove it down the street and back again just getting a feel for it and just enjoying the long awaited experience. It felt really sweet and was pretty smooth considering the fact that the tires are all sitting at different psi's.

I drove the car back to the my garage and let it run for a bit more just checking things like lights, where the engine was idling, and if the heater worked... All things I was hoping to god where working well!!!

The cars heat stayed just under half the whole time so I think the radiator problem I was having before is fixed. The car idled at about 800-900 rmp... Does that seem low to you guys??? Either way the car sounded good and there where no strange sounds coming from the engine.

My uncle knows a guy who runs a shop and has offered to do a full pre-inspection inspection for free on my car before spending the money on a real one. So Hopefully sometime this week I can take the car in there and see how it does. I am worried about the suspension because it squeaks when you put and sort of pressure on the car but that could be nothing...

I just can't wait to finally get this car on the road and start driving it around town like I bought it for!

·
Registered
734 Posts
FooFighter said:
The whole time walking around the car and smelling it to make sure the smell was gone.
If your neighbors didn't already think you were crazy for working on a 15 year-old Honda for months, watching you walking around your car smelling it for 15 minutes probably did the trick ;)

Congrats on making progress in getting the car road-worthy. Now is the part where you start thinking about how much money you have spent fixing this thing up and realize that you could have spent all that on buying a car that was in better shape to begin with! :) We've all been there, haha. The things you have learned and will learn from working on this car are invaluable to a guy your age. It will be the biggest pain in the ass sometimes, and sometimes you'll want to sell it and buy a new car that doesn't give you any trouble, but taking your car for a nice, long drive on a winding, desolate road after working all day fixing or installing something makes it all worthwhile.

Good luck with it!

·
Registered
59 Posts
Congrats man! It has been a long time until you finally got to drive it, but I'm sure you learnt a lot more about the car then you would have it you got it and it ran fine ;p Good luck on passing the inspection, and hopefully youll have a bit of time to drive it around before it starts to snow and you lock up (if you do) and have fun with it, you deserve some fun after all the frustration ;p

-Sulk

·
Registered
795 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
That's the one thing I am scared of is the car hitting something on the road... During the winter here the residential streets don't always get cleared so a layer of hard ice builds up. Once cars start driving over it then create a large rut in the road. I have seen these things get 6' deep! So I will have to be careful where I drive I guess!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.