Honda CRX Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
861 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok, so i have listened to few of my friends and read on the net about fake money systems, but i never thought that someone could fake paypal, well my friends cousin got screwed out of a laptop, he got one of those, ok the money has been transfered to paypal but........ you need to verify the tracking b4 we give you the money.

well i sold an item on ebay http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=9739719495&rd=1&sspagename=STRK:MESO:IT&rd=1 and i was happy with the selling price, to good to be true right? so it would seem

i wake up this mourning, and see it i am like HOLY DOODY!!!! so i check my paypal account.......31 dollars, same as usual, ok maybe he hasn't transfered it yet, go to my email, this is what i find

subject: I M SO HAPPY THAT I WON

hello mate
i m so happy to win your item
i just want you to no that this item is for my grandson who is africa NIGRIA schooling there now and i want the item i mean the phone for him as a bethday gift he is going to be 21 by next 2 weeks so i want you to send it to him i will pay for the shiping cost and i have get to the USPS it will just cost 50/60$ so i will be so happy if you can do that for me thanks i will pay you via paypal thanks
this is the addersss below
ogunmodedevictor
2davidakitola close sabo-oke
ilorin kwara state
nigeria 240001
NB i will pay you via paypal ok thanks

--

seems pretty legit right? eh kinda then i read this one

from what seem slike payapl

You've got cash!

Dear Nick Harrington,

dann jameshas sent you money with PayPal,

dann james is a Verified buyer.

Seller

Seller id: autotechniquessales ( 23)

Shipping addess

Seller should ship to: Ogunmodede Victor,

2Davidakintola Close SaboOke.
.Ilorin.
Kwara State.
Nigeria 240001.

Payment

Item # Item Title Qty. Price Subtotal

Motorola v276 Verizon camera phone
1 $63.50USD $63.50 USD

Subtotal: $63.50 USD
Shipping and handling via USPS Express Global Air Mail Service: $ 50.00USD
Shipping insurance : $ 00.00USD
Seller discounts (-) or charges (+):
$ 00.00USD

Total: $113.50 USD

Payment instructions: None specified.

Payment method:

Note: You will have to send the shipment refrence number to our customer care at [email protected] for verification in other for your account to be credited with the exact amount.

om

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

paypal confirmation:This is to certify that an amount of $113.50 USD has been paid into your paypal account for an ebay item (9739719495 ) which will be credited into your account as soon as you provide us the postage prove, Thank you for using paypal. The PayPal Team.

Address Status:

Note:This is to inform you that you are to send us the Proof of Shipment in the right format below to ensure we credit your account.

Name /Shipping Address
Item Number
Name Of Courier Service
Tracking Number
Date /Time Of Shipping.

Date.17.06.2006.

notice and words running together? how bout no auctio id?

now i am pretty sure i am trying to get ripped off then i get this one

Dear Drew Chapman,
***ATTENTION***
Paypal customer care will like to inform you that payment for your ebay item #:9739719495 Bought from you by Mide Dada has been APPROVED, you CAN NOW ship the merchandise to the buyer's shipping address. You are expected to make the shipment within 48 hours of recieving this Payment Approval Notification and get back to our Customer/Technical Dept. with the Tracking Number for Shippment Verification.

***PLEASE NOTE***
THE BUYER OF THIS ITEM HAS REQUESTED THIS ITEM TO BE SHIPPED TO THE FOLLOWING ADDRESS BELOW BUYER SHIPPING INFORMATION:

Postal Address:
Ogunmodede Victor
2 Davidakintola Close Sabo-oke
Ilorin
Kwara state
Nigeria
Confirmed
The funds will NOT be Credited into your account until the shipment has been verified. This measure is taken in order to protect both seller and buyer interests and to reduce the occurrence of fraudulent activities.

****PLEASE NOTE***
Due to the fact that PAYPAL processes thousands of orders daily, paypal RECOMMENDS contacting the Customer Support Representative that has been assigned to this particular Order directly. This ensures speedy verification of shipment as well as prompt transfer of the funds to your account. Send shippment tracking details to :
[email protected]

***PLEASE NOTE*** FOR THOSE WHO DO NOT HAVE PAYPAL ACCOUNT YOUR PAYMENT ILL BE DELIVERED TO YOUR POSTAL ADDRESS AS SOON AS WE HAVE RECEIVED A TRACKING NUMBER FOR SHIPMENT VERIFICATION.

If you have paypal account your funds will be transfered to [email protected]

If you do not have paypal account your payment will be delivered to the Underlisted Address:

POSTAL ADDRESS: NOT SPECIFIED

You can give the buyer of your auction item the TRACKING NUMBER of the shipment and once he/she verifies the shipment, he/she will also notify us immediately.

*CUSTOMER SUPPORT*
If you have any questions, Please feel free to contact the Customer Support Representative that has been assigned to this particular Order at: [email protected]

The "official" PayPal corporate offices are at:

Centennial Hall 128
1000 S. Franklin
Kirksville, MO 63501

DEAR DREW CHAP?

MY NAME IS NICK HARRINGTON AND WHOSE PAYPAL IS THAT? NOT MINE!!!

SO YA WATCH YOURSELVES ON EBAY GET ANYTHING LIKE THIS TURN THEM IN

i also contacted drew by email b/c i think he is getting scammed as well.... i hope i got to him in time tho

sorry of the rant

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
This is a common scam with international orders. Also, it doesn't matter about Nigeria. ANY international order they can simply say they have not received the item and reverse the PAYPAL charge. PayPal will require delivery confirmation which most deliveries and many countries do not have. I sell internationally (LoneStarPhD - get some for your girl) but the items are small ticket so it is worth the few that get "lost". I would never sell anything of substance overseas. Maybe if they wire the money.

·
Registered
734 Posts
baker_jeff said:
Ghey. Leave very negative feedback.
Gee that will really get 'em where it hurts...might as well not even bother. This is a new, zero-feedback account...I'm sure the scammer creates a new account every time he goes to scam someone so there's no feedback from his last scam on the account (if the account doesn't get deleted by eBay, that is). This is why a lot of people refuse to accept bids from accounts with no feedback. OK, let's take a look at this crap:

Please feel free to contact the Customer Support Representative that has been assigned to this particular Order at: [email protected]

The "official" PayPal corporate offices are at:

Centennial Hall 128
1000 S. Franklin
Kirksville, MO 63501
For starters, you can be 100% sure that any Paypal customer service email DOES NOT go to any email account that's not on the paypal.com domain. [email protected]? I don't think so...and referring to their own office as the "official" (their quotes) corporate offices? Geez.

In the email that said your money was recieved:

Note: You will have to send the shipment refrence number to our customer care at [email protected]
Again, they are asking you to send info to a non paypal.com email address, that's VERY OBVIOUSLY a scam, and honestly not even close to a good one either. Most scammers will at least make the email LOOK legit and just link it to their own, non paypal.com email address.

I'm sorry you got ripped off but these emails are very obviously fakes, and instead of trusting any email (even if it DID look real, which it doesn't) OR clicking any link in an email you get (which will direct to a phishing scam site where they can steal your paypal login info), you need to go directly to paypal.com and log in. If you would have done this and looked at your balance, you would have seen that the guy didn't actually pay you and avoided sending the item.

As soon as I saw "Nigeria" I would have been VERY, VERY wary of the transaction...letting such obvious scam emails get by you after knowing that Nigeria, email scam capital of the world, was involved? Ouch. Dude, again, I'm honestly very sorry you got scammed, I hate scammers and it totally sucks to get ripped off, but it wasn't even a good scam and there were a lot of clues that should have tipped you off -- and even one simple step on your part -- just going directly to paypal's site (without following a link -- NEVER follow a link to what looks like a paypal login page) would have told you that he didn't send the cash and avoided the whole thing.

At least it wasn't a more expensive item...thanks for posting this, hopefully we will all be more careful and neither you or anyone else will lose a big chunk of change to one of these a-holes.

·
Registered
861 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
oh it didn't get by me bro, i didn't send anything at all i knew it was a complete scam, he bid at the last second so i didn't have a chance to deny his bid, i went ahead and sent a second chance offer

also the part that cracks me up is that he didnt even edit the "paypal confrimation" email, it still had the guy from the last scam on it

what a looser omg that is sooooooo retarded

i just hope the other guy picks up the phone lol

·
Registered
734 Posts
shadowcrx said:
oh it didn't get by me bro, i didn't send anything at all i knew it was a complete scam
Oh good...I was starting to really worry about you if you let that scam get by you :) Lessons to everyone, though...

1. Don't automatically trust emails from Paypal, even if they look legit.
2. Don't click on links from Paypal emails, they can be links to phishing sites, even if they look legit, and as soon as you type in your email and password, it's theirs.
3. ONLY log into your Paypal account by going to paypal.com and logging in...that's the only guaranteed way to avoid scams.

Sad part is, there are PLENTY of people out there falling for these scams. If you have parents, grandparents, stupid little brothers, etc. who use eBay, try to educate them on some of the scams out there and the simple ways to avoid them.

·
Registered
861 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ryan_long_01 said:
shadowcrx said:
oh it didn't get by me bro, i didn't send anything at all i knew it was a complete scam
Oh good...I was starting to really worry about you if you let that scam get by you :) Lessons to everyone, though...

1. Don't automatically trust emails from Paypal, even if they look legit.
2. Don't click on links from Paypal emails, they can be links to phishing sites, even if they look legit, and as soon as you type in your email and password, it's theirs.
3. ONLY log into your Paypal account by going to paypal.com and logging in...that's the only guaranteed way to avoid scams.

Sad part is, there are PLENTLY of people out there falling for these scams. If you have parents, grandparents, stupid little brothers, etc. who use eBay, try to educate them on some of the scams out there and the simple ways to avoid them.
x2 i am just hoping that i got ahold of that guy whose paypal info was on my email, poor guy

just pisses me off :evil:

·
Registered
494 Posts
Yeah, I gotta hand it to him, he was all over this one this morning. I was there!! His lady was reading it, and seemed confused. Nick stepped in and said, BULL!! She didn't think it was a scam, but he pointed out to her what convinced him it was.

I hope you can track down that other dude and help him if it's not too late.

You da ebay MAN!

·
Registered
861 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Neil said:
Yeah, I gotta hand it to him, he was all over this one this morning. I was there!! His lady was reading it, and seemed confused. Nick stepped in and said, BULLSH1T!! She didn't think it was a scam, but he pointed out to her what convinced him it was.

I hope you can track down that other dude and help him if it's not too late.

You da ebay MAN!
thats why why i love you man!!!!! :p

no but seriously if anyone is apart of other forums, link to this for any one who doesn't know

·
Registered
276 Posts
shadowcrx said:
Note: You will have to send the shipment refrence number to our customer care at [email protected] for verification in other for your account to be credited with the exact amount.
Note also "reference" is spelled wrong. Little mistakes like that get left behind by scammers. I'm glad to see that you managed to catch the whole thing before getting screwed. On the topic of scams, watch out for IP-Relay scams (service for the deaf where a phone operator translates to someone typing on a computer). My mom got hit pretty hard by one, and she is quite good at identifying scams that come along (i.e., don't sell something to someone who is trying to buy over I.P. relay).

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.