Honda CRX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2,801 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, SUPER high dollar item... wouldn't it make sense to NOT bid, until the very end?? i mean, they just make it more expensive for everyone else....grrrrrr!!!!!

God, i can't believe i just paid that much for door panels.... they ARE slick though. But 30 minutes prior to the auction end, the price jumped like $150 or something ridiculous!

Its like people have nothing better to do than to bid on stuff for the fun of it that they KNOW will be outbid later... grrrr!

But i'm still happy :) And yes, i AM insane. I think :twisted:

·
Registered
734 Posts
ComposiMo said:
Ok, SUPER high dollar item... wouldn't it make sense to NOT bid, until the very end?? i mean, they just make it more expensive for everyone else....grrrrrr!!!!!
I pretty much *never* bid on an eBay auction until the last minute...the issue isn't about driving up the price for everyone else, it's about driving up the price for YOURSELF! Bidding early just gives other people a chance to outbid you, in which case you will at some point have to outbid them...vicious cycle.

It also lets unscrupulous eBayers tell their buddies to run up the price by outbidding you or trying to get to your 'max bid'...there's definitely some of that going on.

In any case, though, I don't that much care if other people bid early...it's certainly their choice, and if people don't know about sniping websites that will do the last-second bidding for you, they can either make sure they are around at auction end or simply bid early, set a good max bid, and let the proxy bidding do its magic. If you know exactly what you are willing to pay for something, regardless of who else is trying to get it (which is probably a good strategy), it makes sense for the most part.

But, I sure don't bid early myself. "Watch" the auction, and come back at the last second. Those sniping websites that bid for you with a couple of seconds left are pretty awesome too...I used to use those back in the day when I did more eBaying and the sites were free and new. Hell, most things I buy on there nowadays are "Buy It Now" items. I actually get kinda pissed when I see there's no "Buy It Now" and I have to worry about actually BIDDING on an auction ;)

·
Registered
2,801 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ryan: Oh, believe me, i don't place a bid until the last 10 seconds of an auction... especially on something that i -really- want, and this particular item wasn't going to go out of eBay without my name as the winning bidder.. lol.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=8033693361

::sigh::

By the way, here's a thought.. what if two people are using the same sniping program, but the program "guatantees you the victory" ?? lol...

·
Premium Member
2,047 Posts
OH....MY...GOSH! :shock:

Nice find, and nice snag! That setup is going to be a rare and beautiful thing.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Over $600 PLUS $80 to ship. Holy cowabunga dude! They look nice though. Do you have the mechanical parts for the inside of the doors?

·
Registered
2,801 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
fisher: I know of only one other car in the area with these door panels... theyare the rarest of rare... probably not TOO hard to get if you have buddies in Germany, but i don't, so i get to pay a premium :( ah well... its still worth it to me.

BoostX: Could have been worse. I was prepared to spend upwards of $900 for them... so in my mind, i got a HECK of a deal. I offered the seller $800 shipped for the panels if he would end it early, but he didn't.. hehe.

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
Nice find but not exactly a bargain. I'll admit it, I snipe (make last second bids) on ebay. I don't think that's what they intended but it's pretty much the only way to still get bargains there. I know sellers that have their friends run their items up. I'll watch items then if they haven't been run up to ridiculous amounts I'll bid. Too many times the stuff I'm interested suddenly shoots up to those ridiculous amounts. At times equal too or higher than you can buy them retail. Bid fever, people get caught up in "not losing" and run bids up. I've gotten incredible bargains and also lost stuff I've really wanted for a couple of dollars more than my highest bid by sniping. Ebay's still a great place to find rare items, like your door panels.

Two areas were ebay could improve are 1.) item descriptions - sellers often describe items with inappropriate terms. Ex. I bought a set of door panels described as "Mint, like new", "with no seat marks". The panels were hardly "mint". They were scratched, dirty, and while they had no holes from the seatbelts they had two very deep punch marks from them. Ebay should demand proper descriptions from sellers and punish those who misuse descriptions. 2.) shipping and packaging. Ebay should assure that seller properly package and ship items. Ex. I won a set of 88-89 OEM tail lights from a seller in Canada. Shipping was a flat $25 fee. I recieved then several weeks later wrapped only in paper, taped together. Only one tail light was salvagable, the rest were pieces. How any sane person thought you could ship fragile plastic packaged so piss poorly across not one country but two I'll never know. They refused to give me a refund.......

·
Registered
2,801 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
BoostX: You've got PM ;)

Ti: I agree, definitely not a 'bargain', but i haven't seen these panels in a while, and quite frankly, its worth it to me to have them. Although now i have to sell a couple of things to offset what i paid for em... lol.

But anyway, i will always be a 'bid sniper'... especially on something this valuable. I'm not going to leav it up to eBay to bid for me, except for the last couple of seconds. Of course thoguh, with these panels, i'm probably the only person out there that would consider $900 an 'acceptible loss' to get these panels.

For whatever reason, i've been in the mood lately to buy rare parts for my new car i'm building. Rather than buying big huge turbo's and big expensive computer systems for them, i'm buying 'nice' stuff... For instance, the JDM maplights, the JDM AirCon automatic system (complete with all components needed to operation), EDM glass stanley SiR headlights, CRX Center console armrest, and these door panels. I'm not stopping there of course ;) next up is more interior enhancements, more exterior enhancments, and even some custom trick stuff here and there :)

·
Registered
9,746 Posts
John you should stop reading the EF board on Honda-Tech... you're getting the disease :)
Anyway, I don't think anyone here would accuse you of having more "show" than "go" when all is said and done with your turbo-K20 CRX.

·
Registered
2,801 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Bah!.... lol. I don't personally care about JDM, WhoDM, EDM, or any of that crud...

HOWEVER< i will say this... having a 'goal', or a plan like that is a good thing to have. Otherwise you end up with a clusterf--- car with no real identity and no defined purpose. Now, that may not be a bad thing, but like street rods for instance... taking a 32 ford, dropping in a smallblock checvy, and installing a '34 grill.... it doesn't make sense, and will never make sense. There are a LOT of people that have that setup, but i'd rather have a 32 ford with a ford flathead v8, and the proper 32 grill.

If i was building a car to be a certain 'style', you bet i'd be all over that stuff.

However, this car has a different purpose. I am not buying these door panels just because they are EDm.... i don't care. I want to have the functionality of an OEM power window kit that is left hand drive.... period.

I want the map light, because i like having map lights in my cars... they make the car more enjoyable, and easier to see things at night. The air conditioning system is a luxury item.... i want it to be automatic like many of todays cars are.

Getting a good picture here? I'm after interior 'convenience', not a "style"... I am planning on dynamatting the car, undercoating it with Rhinoliner, and installing springs and shocks that enhance the ride rather than detract from it... and i mean 'ride', not 'handling'. And yes, i will have a separate set of motor mount bushings, shocks/springs, and intake/exhaust for racing purposes.... 90% of its life will be spent being a DD, not racing.

I'm after a car that feels as much like a lexus as it can when you're driving it ;)

But of course it'll have a fully built K20 turbo motor in it... hehe.

·
Registered
364 Posts
MMMM nice buy john.. I love my LHD power windows. The VT door panels are on my list. But I'd have to get pillar mounted belts to so I'm still waiting in them....Plus I'm a poor college student so we all know how that goes. I just recovered my panels with some black cloth and leather.

-James-

·
Registered
364 Posts
ComposiMo said:
BoostX: You've got PM ;)
For whatever reason, i've been in the mood lately to buy rare parts for my new car i'm building. Rather than buying big huge turbo's and big expensive computer systems for them, i'm buying 'nice' stuff... For instance, the JDM maplights, the JDM AirCon automatic system (complete with all components needed to operation), EDM glass stanley SiR headlights, CRX Center console armrest, and these door panels. I'm not stopping there of course ;) next up is more interior enhancements, more exterior enhancments, and even some custom trick stuff here and there :)
I love my Glass headlights.. I only wish that i can fix the leak on one of them.. I've resealed it like 3 times already.. :cry: oh well good luck with your car. It's all about making the car comfortable for you..

-James-

·
Administrator
16,562 Posts
$712 eh? more than I would spend, but I guess since I've got a blue interior and I'm staying with it, that kind of stuff just isn't available. :(

Oh yeah, and people scoffed at me when I paid $220-something for NIB floormats! :)

·
Registered
9,844 Posts
what kind of cloth did you use? I got some headliner material, but with the current state of my car, its one of the last things on my list to complete

·
Registered
2,801 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Youi paid $220 for FLOORMATS?!??!!?! OMIGOSH!!!!

LoL :lol: just kidding...

The reality of it is this... an item is -always- worth what someone is willing to pay for it. I see this in the collector toy car world all the time (side-hobby i don't talk about much... so don't mind me :) )... but anyway, if you have something that at least one person feels is valuable, or if that person feels that either 1.) they will never see another one in that condition or 2.) wants that -exact- thing right now, and doesn't want to wait for a better price that could be next month or next YEAR.... in both of these cases, the item will be 'worth' much more.

In your case, you wanted a set of perfect OEM floormats. What it sold for new doesn't matter anymore, because that option is no longer available... so people can shove that excuse... now the next thing, is how often do you see them, and what is it worth to you to have them? $220? Yea, i think i'd pay that if i was building a car with OEM-restoration in mind. Would i pay that for my current build? No, because that is not the most important thing about my build.

However, as the constant collector, i WOULD pay $220 for them and then put them on a shelf in their box, because that price is likely to never go down... so it would be worth more for them to sit on a shelf than it would be to put them in a car (imho)

azulito: definitely... oem is a really nice way to go. However, i am also investigating, and will be testing out another option on a customer car that may work as well, if not better than OEM. I'll keep ya posted ;)

James: Yea, thankfully this happens to be an '88 i'm building.. hehe. That way i won't have to change doors or anything. How smooth is your operation? Does it go up and down pretty nicely like a new car, or does it act like it really is from the late 80's, early 90's? hehe. I want it to run up and down like a brand new car 8)

But yea, comfy car is the place for me... my last car had no a/c, and no real creature comforts. It DID have a full interior, even a/c stuff under the dash, and it just 'felt' better with all that stuff in there. So now i'm going to fix road noise, door noise, a/c functions, engine noise, sound system noise, and make it a nice comfy place to inhabit... and maybe still run like a scalded ape when it needs to... haha! Not too much to ask for, eh?

·
Registered
364 Posts
ComposiMo said:
James: Yea, thankfully this happens to be an '88 i'm building.. hehe. That way i won't have to change doors or anything. How smooth is your operation? Does it go up and down pretty nicely like a new car, or does it act like it really is from the late 80's, early 90's? hehe. I want it to run up and down like a brand new car 8)
Its not to bad. They go down as well as any new car I've been in... motor sound a little old.(but they are) The pass side is a little slow coming up. Not sure why that is. But I can say that power windows are the best investment I ever made.

-James-

1 - 20 of 25 Posts