Honda CRX Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
229 Posts
These ECU pictures are great, they tell us a lot about your issue.

First, your original COP ECU is not a P28, it is a P75. You can see this clearly on the label for the motherboard tucked in the edge in your photo.
Additionally, although P75 can be converted to support VTEC, I can see that this one has not had that conversion at all. That explains why you don't have VTEC. Considering that someone went through the effort to do a COP install but then didn't know what they were doing adding VTEC to the P75 ECU, I consider this entire ECU suspect. I can even see what look like poor desolder marks where the VTEC components are supposed to be on the board.

I personally would consider this ECU trash, just too many unknowns.

If you look close both of them have the socketed "SST" chip in the upper left in your photos as attached. This chip is what contains the tune. If you really had a P28, you could just put the SST chip from your P72 tune into the P28 chassis and you would be all set, but because the P75 ECU doesn't have the VTEC components this is not going to work.

Adding the COP to your P72 ECU is one possible solution. It would require swapping the ECU "chassis" to get the P72 board into the other chassis so you don't have to notch the P72 chassis (unless you are comfortable notching the P72 chassis, then you can just do that), then soldering those two wires onto the new board.

Just running the P72 as is and converting back to spark plug wiring and removing the COP setup is another solution.

Passive circuit component Circuit component Hardware programmer Electronic component Microcontroller

·
Registered
229 Posts
which leads me to a follow up question.
as i mentioned, the person that i bought the chipped 72 from loaded a tune for what he said was relatively a stock base map. and said it should work. he mentioned bypassing the oil pressure switch? rev 8,100 and VTEC at 5,000? i bought this CRX already engine swapped, and it was originally intended to be a track car. i am wanting a “comfy” daily driver.

does that rev and VTEC numbers sound good/normal for a b18c tune?
is there a way to “see” what’s been mapped on the chips i have? especially since i have two of them?
knowing i am wanting a daily drive rather then a power beast, what kind of tune should i be aiming for?
not having many bolt on’s or “upgraded” engine parts and not planing for turbo or supercharger anytime soon, is it worth going and paying $300 for a full tune?
VTEC at 5K and Redline at 8,100 are fine for a B18C tune.
The only way to see what map is on the chip is to read it through a Chip reader/ROM tool. The website PGMFI.org has much info on this but it is sometime quiet over there these days as most tuners have moved on to Hondata S300 or other paid for solutions.

When a chip is burned by a tuner they can turn off certain features. The feature of bypassing the oil pressure switch I assume means the VTEC oil pressure switch. Not sure why they would disable this but if there is sufficient oil and the VTEC solenoid screen is clean this is a non-issue. Normally the P72 when chipped would also have the knock sensor disabled so you don't have to wire that up.

Looking closer, I believe your replacement ECU cannot be a true P72 as it doesn't have the daughter board most P72 have. You can google P72 ECU an see some photos and get a better understanding of what I mean by this. Its probabaly an actual P28 with a P72 "tune' installed on the chip. This isn't a big deal, just wanted to make note of it.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts