Honda CRX Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
revving a stock a6 will only get you one thing.... an engine that scatters more quickly... .
yeah the pr4 integra ecu has a little righer fuel map ( heu turned me onto this) and can burn a little more fuel.... but it is by no means " tuning" just burning more gas.... If your primary objective is to bury the tach to impress your self or your friends.. . . Think if this. . .

They'll be alot more impressed a month from now when you can still drive your car around with out a rod sticking out of the side of the block... the a6 revs plenty high enough in stock form to reach the horsepower and torque peaks... .

Chris

·
Registered
9,843 Posts
the PM7 has a little more aggressive fuel/timing map, but the PM7 ran the DOHC ZC. The PG7 is from the 86-89 tegs. It has a slightly less aggressive mapping than the PM7. Again though, its for a DOHC engine, so the cam timing will be different than on the SOHC engines.

so... You can run the A6 on a PG7, and it will have a more aggressive map, but due to the differences in cam timing, I can't say if you will actually see more power.

Raising the redline will only help you float valves, throw rods, and cause other internal engine carnage. The A6 loses power before it hits redline, so, no sense reving past it unless you have an upgraded cam and valve train.

·
Registered
2,605 Posts
rex2nr said:
The PG7 is from the 86-89 tegs.
'86-87 Integras used vaccum advance. You want the ECU from an '88-89 Integra - they used electronic advance just like the D16A6. The PG7 is a plug'n'play replacement for the PM6 - I've tried it myself.
As I recall, the PR4 is for a B18A1. It's mapped to run a 1.8 liter engine (compared to 1.6 for the PG7 and PM6) so it will definately run richer... I'm not sure if that will net you more power, or just hurt your fuel economy.

·
Registered
79 Posts
if you have a 90-91 pm6 you are better off chiping/socketing the ecu and make your own custom bin

with a custom bin you can add/subtract timing and fuel where ever you want

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
The ebay Jun, spoon, And mugen chips all basically do 2 things the same..... . .dump more fuel and raise the redline.... none of them are actually tuned to your current combo.... there basically sold so that you can go around saying that you have a "chip" and " impress" your friends... by buring the tach at 8 grand.... . thats about it... . . there are many other things that you could do for the same money to actually make a " real difference" with out sacraficing fuel economy. .

Chris

·
Registered
731 Posts
Be on the look out for a field test report in the near future if interested...

I will be experimenting with various ECUs in my a6. How? Simply by running different ECUs in my rex and posting best quarter mile times. To be included are pr3, pr4, pm6, and what the heck - a pm8 just for kicks as well. I don't have a pg7 so we'll never know.

Pertinent to this thread, I have run the pr4 and pm6 one after the other over and over and over and over once long ago. The pr4 definitely pulled significantly stronger than the pm6 all the way to redline. The pr4 also has alot more low end torque. I regret to say I never took the car to the track to make comparison runs.
What the guys are saying though is true. You will run rich. Valves will float. Rods can come flying through the block. Given this why have I and will I run these tests? Well, the d-series motors are cheap and pretty readily available. Got a few laying around in case things go kaplooowie anyway.

-Heu

·
Registered
79 Posts
dohcrxl said:
Be on the look out for a field test report in the near future if interested...

I will be experimenting with various ECUs in my a6. How? Simply by running different ECUs in my rex and posting best quarter mile times. To be included are pr3, pr4, pm6, and what the heck - a pm8 just for kicks as well. I don't have a pg7 so we'll never know.

Pertinent to this thread, I have run the pr4 and pm6 one after the other over and over and over and over once long ago. The pr4 definitely pulled significantly stronger than the pm6 all the way to redline. The pr4 also has alot more low end torque. I regret to say I never took the car to the track to make comparison runs.
What the guys are saying though is true. You will run rich. Valves will float. Rods can come flying through the block. Given this why have I and will I run these tests? Well, the d-series motors are cheap and pretty readily available. Got a few laying around in case things go kaplooowie anyway.

-Heu
will you be trying these all in the same night back to back?
there are other factors what might effect the trap speeds such as air temp and what not

but i am also curoius myself

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
Heu- had turned me on to the pr4 for the si engine a while back heck back in the resource.org days i have ran one and the butt dyno seems a little better but its hard to say....
i am going to have to look over the stock rom maps and see how much of a difference there really is...

Chris

·
Registered
731 Posts
yes pr4 is a direct plug in

BlackCRX said:
will you be trying these all in the same night back to back?
there are other factors what might effect the trap speeds such as air temp and what not
Oh, definitely. I figured air temp affects on ET right down to a single degree. Same with elevation to the foot. It's not dead nutts but gets you pretty close. Check out the quarter mile and 0-60 mph calculator below that I devised.

http://www.angelfire.com/alt2/crx/

Chris, by mashing on the pedal you will not notice the difference as much. It's part throttle that the pr4 shines over the pm6.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.