Honda CRX Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to know what this actually is capable of. Y does everybody talk about ecu but i dont understand y they send then to get chipped or somethig like that. Does it increase the horsepower on the car or what. Also what are some websites to have this done and how much does it cost to get it done.

·
Registered
916 Posts
Chipping your ECU allows you to run a custom program to tell the car how much fuel to add and when. You need to do with if you need to tune the car because of turbo/supercharging/cams etc.

Strictly chipping the ECU without a need to will give you no power gains whatsoever.

·
Registered
9,843 Posts
baker_jeff said:
Chipping your ECU allows you to run a custom program to tell the car how much fuel to add and when. You need to do with if you need to tune the car because of turbo/supercharging/cams etc.

Strictly chipping the ECU without a need to will give you no power gains whatsoever.
I wouldn't say chipping will give you NO gain what soever on a stock engine. The factory generally tunes them for fuel economy, so I would think with a good amount of dyno time, you could pull another 5-10hp off a stock engine... is it worth the cost of dyno time? probably not, but I'm sure a good tuner could.

·
Registered
779 Posts
rex2nr said:
baker_jeff said:

I wouldn't say chipping will give you NO gain what soever on a stock engine. The factory generally tunes them for fuel economy, so I would think with a good amount of dyno time, you could pull another 5-10hp off a stock engine... is it worth the cost of dyno time? probably not, but I'm sure a good tuner could.
Or you could save your money and dyno it after a few upgrades. Be more worth it. I chipped my OBD1 ecu because it was cheaper then buying the proper obd1 ecu from japan.

·
Registered
20,417 Posts
jesustirado6 said:
I want to know what this actually is capable of. Y does everybody talk about ecu but i dont understand y they send then to get chipped or somethig like that. Does it increase the horsepower on the car or what. Also what are some websites to have this done and how much does it cost to get it done.
If you are running a stock motor, i don't think chipping the ECU would be worth it, but as stated before, if you have work done to the motor, turbo, supercharger etc., then chipping the ECU would be another thing to do.

As for price, i know a few ppl that chip ECU's, i have seen ppl charge anywhere from $50 -$100 to have it done.

·
Registered
779 Posts
baker423 said:
jesustirado6 said:
If you are running a stock motor, i don't think chipping the ECU would be worth it, but as stated before, if you have work done to the motor, turbo, supercharger etc., then chipping the ECU would be another thing to do.

As for price, i know a few ppl that chip ECU's, i have seen ppl charge anywhere from $50 -$100 to have it done.
The price sounds right. I paid 200$ for a P28, for a company to chip it and to have them write me 2 chips. 1 P30 and 1 P73.

·
Registered
20,417 Posts
ludesrv said:
baker423 said:
jesustirado6 said:

The price sounds right. I paid 200$ for a P28, for a company to chip it and to have them write me 2 chips. 1 P30 and 1 P73.
Yea, there will def be a difference in price if you have an individual do it, compared to a company.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.