Honda CRX Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm having some problems with my 84/86 autox car. On the return voyage roughly a month and a half ago after a day of running great at autox, the battery light turns on, the car loses power, and the tach goes crazy (as reported by my co-driver). I finally got a chance to take the car for a drive today myself, and there is a serious bucking (stumbling) problem around 3000 rpm. Once past roughly 3750-4000, the car pulls strong. In addition to this problem, the car died twice as I was bringing it in, with the accompaning battery light.

To sum up:
Crazy tach (once)
Loss of power (once)
Battery light
Dies
Bucking problem at ~3000 (misfire?)

Any ideas on what this might be? I will be redoing any poorly done wiring in the car tomorrow, checking for good ground contacts, etc. I've heard that the alternator or ignitor may be behind it. Can anyone back that up? (We are running a much smaller battery than stock).

·
Registered
79 Posts
bad alternator?

put a volt meter on the battery and see what it shows
idle should be around 12v and when you rev it, should be around 14v

possible that the bushings on the alternator are worn out

replacement bushings for it are like $5-10

·
Registered
35 Posts
It might be your Dist. like paul said.
Cause when mine went out on me there was definatly hesistation and bucking, and loss of power in my lower RPM's. It turned out to be my CKP sensor inside my Dist. and I had to replace the whole thing.
Also check your Alternator belt, make sure its not to loose. It could be that your battery light may be coming on because your belt is to loose, and the Alt. is not charging the battery.
Also check to see if your ECM is throwing codes.

·
Registered
731 Posts
BlackCRX said:
replacement bushings for it are like $5-10
Do you mean brushes?

Hey Joel, wassup? Been MIA for the longest.

Anyway, I'm leaning wiring first then distributor next.

-Heu

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Not much... school has kept me off the forums for awhile. Looks like the resource is dying out and the community is the place to be, so I'll probably be spending more time here now.

Anyways, anyone got a distributer laying around :wink: ?

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Alright, the update: I got another dizzy on the car. Within 5 seconds of leaving on a drive, the car started bucking again, then promptly died when I put in the clutch. So:

Dizzy/Igniter is out

What else could it be? I'm going to test the battery/alternator tomorrow. Could the coils somehow be at fault? ECU?

·
Registered
41 Posts
The car can run smooth off of just a battery so I don't THINK an alternator would cause the bucking. I had something similar happen when my ground came loose from the valve cover. I'd have a good connection whenever it swung in contact of somethin lol but then I wouldn't when it lost its connection, that creating a bucking with my lights going crazy and my tech.....

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.