Honda CRX Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
913 Posts
I did this yesterday. I tried all sorts of engine cleaners and engine degreasers on an old B16 block, nothing would pick all the grease off. I used a screwdriver and toothbrush, but it still couldnt get all the little bits. I ran out of brake cleaner, and found some "Distributor/Spark Plug Wire Quick Dry" fluid, sprayed it on, used the toothbrush, and it ate through anything I put it on... freaking amazing. :D

·
Registered
190 Posts
Aero-grade Simple Green (full-strength) has cut through all the grease I've run into. Try Carb Cleaner, that should cut through pretty much anything.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Brake cleaner will get rid of pretty much everything, that's what I would recommend. Maybe a wire brush on a dremel tool, or wire wheel on a angle grinder.

·
Registered
3,695 Posts
bubba said:
Brake cleaner will get rid of pretty much everything, that's what I would recommend. Maybe a wire brush on a dremel tool, or wire wheel on a angle grinder.
Be careful before spraying brake cleaner all over. It will attack plastics, and harm other materials as well. Definitely read the label, it's strong stuff for cleaning everywhere.

On a local area like the side of the block / trans,use it, or even better - carb cleaner really cuts through grim.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Is it in the car or out of the car. I was thinking it was out of the car, sorry. If it is some sort of wire wheel would work great to get most off, then use a buffer. That's always how i've cleaned aluminum up when I was in metals class.

·
Registered
190 Posts
A chemical car polish (or chrome polish) should get the oxidation off. It's usually called paint cleaner. Just use it with some steel wool (fine stuff, not brillo pads) and you can bring the shine up a LOT (depending on your patience).

·
Registered
4 Posts
For a on-the-cheap solution try 80% ammonia/20% Mr. Clean floor cleaner in a spray bottle. I used it first at work to clean the grease off of the exhuast hood screens (pizza place) and the stuff literally melts nastiness away...also I cant prove chemically that it wont hurt rubber or plastic but I havent experienced any ill effects. Im using that combination in my "parts cleaner" now and it rocks, melted years of grime off of some 240sx parts I had around, and the rubber bushings were in perfect shape after soaking for a couple days.

Plus a gallon of ammonia and the bottle of Mr. Clean are under 5 bucks from WalMart...the other stuff is usually at least twice that...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.