Honda CRX Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1990 CRX with a 1993 D15b7 engine swap.

The engine pings in all gears under anything more than 1/2 throttle!

I have changed the computer from the stock A8 to a A6. No diff.

I have changed the plugs and air filter. No diff.

I just had the timeing belt changed, timing and valves adjusted.

The Car idles better now but the pinging is still there just as before.

What should I look at next?

Dirty Injectors or ?

TIA

Bob

·
Registered
154 Posts
therobesons said:
I have a 1990 CRX with a 1993 D15b7 engine swap.

The engine pings in all gears under anything more than 1/2 throttle!

I have changed the computer from the stock A8 to a A6. No diff.

I have changed the plugs and air filter. No diff.

I just had the timeing belt changed, timing and valves adjusted.

The Car idles better now but the pinging is still there just as before.

What should I look at next?

Dirty Injectors or ?

TIA

Bob
Try upping the octane of your fuel

·
Registered
191 Posts
Seafoam can be found at NAPA and maybe advance auto/auto zone. You follow the instructions on the back of the bottle and it cleans out the carbon from the motor. It really works nicely. Don't worry about the smoke, that means it's working, when you use it you'll know what I mean.

·
Registered
965 Posts
Its pre-detonation, where the compression of the pistons is enough to cause the fuel/air to combust before the spark ignites it.

I would double-check the cam timing, then the distributor timing, and just to be sure, test the spark plug wires with an ohm-meter.

·
Premium Member
4,516 Posts
90crxhf_w/ZC said:
the pinging is called detination!!!! too much fuel or not burning hot enough to burn the fuel if you continue to drive it it can blow your motor so i have hurd!!!!
No offence 90,but "too much fuel or not burning hot enough to burn the fuel" has nothing to do with detonation.
Like FA said pre-ignition is where the octane is low enough that the fuel mixture pre-ignites and causes a shockwave in the cylinder or the "knocking" sound.
Heres a good quote for a simple explination.."Simply put, the octane rating of the fuel reflects the ability of the
unburnt end gases to resist spontaneous autoignition under the engine test
conditions used."

..But to answer the OG poster's question:You may want to back your timing off a bit and see if that helps.Also try upgrading to a better octane of fuel and your noise should be gone.

·
Registered
6,568 Posts
to clarify any confusion

pre ignition is ignition at any point in the engine cycle caused by anything but the spark plug. excess heat, carbon buildup, random piec eof metal whatever. its extremely thermally violent adn can melt your pistons like that. it can also kill your motor in one engine cycle due to its self propogating nature

detonation is when you reach full combustion on the upward stroke of the piston adn are trying to force it back down prematurely causing extremely high cylinder pressures.

<---EFI 101 Graduate

[email protected]

·
Registered
2,605 Posts
I think you've still got those a little mixed up matt.
As I understand it, Pre-ignition would try to spin the engine in the wrong direction. Bearing damage and high combustion chamber temps (possibly melting components) would make sense here.
Detonation is when the air/fuel mixture explodes (generally requires a slightly lean mixture) rather than burning in a predictable fashion. Detonation causes spikes in cylinder pressure and tends to pulverize components in the combustion chamber and drive line... Bent/broken sparkplugs, broken ringlands, bent connecting rods, bearing damage, that sort of thing.

Wikipedia seems to have a pretty good article.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.