Honda CRX Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New to this whole thing but here we go. Just recently acquired myself a '91 CRX Hf. Now this car was a step down from my 4.6L Mustang =/. So needless to say i'm looking for more power out of this car. I've been told the safest route to go with the highest power to be had is a b16a1.

If you guys could enlighten me on to different engines that are compatiable with my car. also Also i hate to say this. but the cheapest and the fastest(i.e. easiest to modify/turbo/etc.)

Thanks alot.

· Registered
7,426 Posts
baker423 said:
PandaExpress said:
Now this car was a step down from my 4.6L Mustang =/.
That depends on how you look at it. :lol:
Exactly what I was thinking. I'm sure you like not having to visit the gas pump as much with the stock HF. :D

You've got tons of possibilities with it, but definitely do some research first...

· Registered
779 Posts
PandaExpress said:
New to this whole thing but here we go. Just recently acquired myself a '91 CRX Hf. Now this car was a step down from my 4.6L Mustang =/. So needless to say i'm looking for more power out of this car. I've been told the safest route to go with the highest power to be had is a b16a1.

If you guys could enlighten me on to different engines that are compatiable with my car. also Also i hate to say this. but the cheapest and the fastest(i.e. easiest to modify/turbo/etc.)

Thanks alot.
Cheapest = What you currently have.
Best = What doesn't exist.
Worst = Nothing at all.
Fastest = The one you are willing to dump the most money in.

Is that clear enough for you?

I suggest a simple A6 with Si tranny swap to start. Easily bring the car down into the mid 15s 1/4 mile time. Will still get 30mpg, will only cost 500$ for the whole thing all said and done, and will still kick the **** out of alot of cars on the road.

Plus the A6 has room for potential, and it's still 100% stock (no mounts/wiring/special anything required really).

B16 are indeed overrated, they are just as slow as a DOHC ZC. But they sound better in my opinion, and is a better starting point in my opinion. I have a B16, and I like it. I had a SOHC ZC w/ Si tranny (same as A6 engine) and I LOVED it.

· Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ludesrv said:
PandaExpress said:

Thanks alot.
Cheapest = What you currently have.
Best = What doesn't exist.
Worst = Nothing at all.
Fastest = The one you are willing to dump the most money in.

Is that clear enough for you?

I suggest a simple A6 with Si tranny swap to start. Easily bring the car down into the mid 15s 1/4 mile time. Will still get 30mpg, will only cost 500$ for the whole thing all said and done, and will still kick the [crud] out of alot of cars on the road.

Plus the A6 has room for potential, and it's still 100% stock (no mounts/wiring/special anything required really).

B16 are indeed overrated, they are just as slow as a DOHC ZC. But they sound better in my opinion, and is a better starting point in my opinion. I have a B16, and I like it. I had a SOHC ZC w/ Si tranny (same as A6 engine) and I LOVED it.
As far as a motor/tranny goes itself. I was thinking around ~1,000. Somewhere in the ball park.

I also need some suspension work (for some reason the previous owner put a small lift kit and 18's on it =/ )

But as far as the engine goes. Like i said, Im wanting something with a decent amount of HP with not a whole lot of modding to start off with(this will change once i get my raise =] )

· Registered
7,426 Posts
OK???????????????? Not to be a dick, dude, but read...

downest said:
FROM THE LINK ABOVE said:
B18A
Found in: 90-91 Integra (92-93 versions are also available, but they are OBD-1)
Power: 130 hp
Stock ECU: PR4 (OBD-0)
Estimated Cost: $800

B18B
Found in: 94-01 Integra
Power: 140 hp, 127 tq
Stock ECU: P74 (94-95 OBD-1) P75 (96-01 OBD-2)
Estimated Cost: $1500

B17A
Found in: 92-93 Integra GS-R
Power: 160 hp
Stock ECU: P61 (OBD-1)
Estimated Cost: $2000
Note: This is a rare, hard to find engine.

B16B (JDM)
Found in: 98-01 Civic Type R
Power: 185 hp, 117 tq
Stock ECU: PCT (OBD-1)
Estimated Cost: $3700

B18C1
Found in: 94-01 Integra GS-R
Power: 170 hp, 121 tq
Stock ECU: P72 (OBD-1 and 2 versions available)
Estimated Cost: $2800

B18C5
Found in: 97-01 Integra Type R
Power: 195 hp, 130 tq
Stock ECU: P73 (OBD-2)
Estimated Cost: $4500

B18C (JDM) Blacktop
Found in: 94-01 Integra SiR-G
Power: 180 hp, 126 tq
Stock ECU: P72-J (OBD-1)
Estimated Cost: $3200

B18C (JDM) Redtop
Found in: 96-01 Integra Type R
Power: 200 hp (96-97) 205 hp(98-01) 134 tq
Stock ECU: P73-J (OBD-1)
Estimated Cost: $4000 (96-97) $4500 (98-01)

B20B/Z
Found in: 97-01 CR-V
Power 126 hp (97-98) 146 hp (99-01) 133 tq
Stock ECU: P75? (OBD-2)
Estimated Cost: $1000

B20A, B21A
Found in: 89-91 Preludes
These engines are not suitable for CRX swaps, the mounts and transmission bolt patterns are different from other B-series engines.

· Registered
20,445 Posts
My opinion is th only b series worth getting is any one of the b18's.
For the money and ease of swap, the d series or Zc will be the best bet.
There is lots of support for the D and as of lately seems like lots of folks are reverting back to this motor.

I have had and driven a DOHC Zc, a SOHC Zc, d16z6, b18c5, & out of all of them, the most fun for me was when i had my 2 cam Zc.

The d series and ZC are similar, generally speaking they share lots of parts and can handle boost if you choose to later on down the road..

· Registered
9,754 Posts
PandaExpress said:
I've already browsed that , I was looking for more personal input then reading charts and schematics
What are you looking for specifically? You asked a vague question, one that the linked thread was meant for, and everything you asked is in there. Be a little more specific and we can help.

BTW, where are the charts and schematics?

· Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
downest said:
PandaExpress said:
I've already browsed that , I was looking for more personal input then reading charts and schematics
What are you looking for specifically? You asked a vague question, one that the linked thread was meant for, and everything you asked is in there. Be a little more specific and we can help.

BTW, where are the charts and schematics?
What i meant by charts and schematics is looking at a list of engine statistics and what not.

· Registered
20,445 Posts
PandaExpress said:
jfrolang said:
PandaExpress said:
I was looking for more personal input
There are so many options it's really impossible to say what's best. What's your budget and how fast do you want to go?
To start, looking to drop a grand.
Does that 1k include labor, or will you be doing the work yourself?

Either way, $1000 can easily get you any of the d-series or Zc swaps which are the d16a6, d16z6, d16y8 or a SOHC/DOHC Zc swaps.

· Registered
253 Posts
is a grand total of what you have to play with or just your starting base. hf front knuckles have to go. i like my zc it's fun cheap and leaves you with money for upgrades. you could always go with a d16a6 bottom end and a z6/y8 head. that will bump the compression and give you vtec on the better bottom end. just have to look at what you want the car to do and how much money you are willing to invest.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.