Honda CRX Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a 90 honda crx 1.5 with a full bodykit. . it has a 4 piece bodykit and f1 fenders, it has AEM cold air intake, muegen chrome headers with down pipe, full exhaust system, muegen spoiler, 17in falken rims wit brandnew tires, reverse indiglo gauges, carbon fiber head and tail lights,alarm,spoon sports steering wheel, custom interrior.the car is currently black primer but i do have the paint for it. the paint is a dark candy purple...the interrior is also purple but its playa haha... the seats are carbon fiber design material and the headliner too...the carpet is also a plum purple...

I want to know what engine swap would be best and also the turbo..

I was going to originally get a 240 sx and do a s14 convert. the sr20 det engine swap and pimp that out but i couldn't pass up a crx for only 2k that was already kinda moded

please let me know

thanks

·
Registered
20,303 Posts
These type of questions, "engine swaps, which is the best one but for a moderate price" bother me.

It is so open and vague.

1. Figure out you're budget,without $ you're not swapping anything. How much do you have to spend?
2.Will you be doing the work yourself, or will there be labor costs involved that you would need to figure in.
2. What do you want/expect for the car, performance/hp wise?
3. Is this a track car, or daily driver?

These are all variables that you should think about.

·
Registered
473 Posts
New Crx Buyer!!! said:
i have a 90 honda crx 1.5
Screen doors FTW! Seriously, enter keys are useful. More on to swaps: Baker offered a good suggestion, having a budget is key in properly managing the money and usefullness you'll get out of your car. Not to mention the enjoyment.

You have a few options and all this information can be had by searching but I'll placate your desire a little bit:

1. B series - 18A, 16, 18C - Tough little SOBs, and pretty damn good power on the highend. The 18A is the non-VTEC one and has the ability to push out good torque numbers and takes great to a turbo. The b16 is kind of a worthless swap, as the D15 you have in your car can be built up to have better power across the band than the B16 will experience - which is really just top end performance. The B18C series is my engine of choice, being out of GSRs or Type-R in the B18C5 case. These engines have pretty good torque, nice hp numbers, and can swap in without much weight issue.

2. H series - H22, etc. - Monsters, not much heavier but you're talking ~200 hp and close to that in torque (not at the wheels) from a honda I4 displacing 2.2 litres. One of the nicest options out there beyond K series. Once again, great motors, VTEC also.

3. D-series mini-me (frankenstein motor) - Headswap for a Vtec head, which isn't great when you have a 1.5 bottom end so I'd say just swap the whole engine. Not great as its still SOHC but you can see some real nice power numbers and from what I've heard boost up to 200 hp pretty reliably.

4. K-swap - Probably far too much money for your budget, I know it is for mine. You've gotta have fab skills, know your ****, and be ready for hassles. Arguably the best engine swap availible to a CRX owner, it isn't for the faint of heart. Not that its terrible, but you will be spending time on it. Talk to Bart or Krix about this one.

5. LS-VTEC / CR/VTEC - B20 or B18A bottom end with a VTEC head (usually GSR or b16 head). Brutal combination for power but pretty involved in making sure everything is clearing whell and the whole thing isn't just going to take a dump on your chest. One minor screwup in building a good LS-VTEC engine can send your effort down the crapper.

6. Keep the stock engine, sell some of the rice, and turbo that baby. Ebay turbo kits aren't too expensive and while made like crap, reinforcing the welds and getting a new turbo elsewhere (thus just using the intercooler and piping) can be relatively cheap. If you know someone who can tune with Crome or Turboedit you can be set for nice HP numbers on a light motor setup that could be tons of fun for cheap.

Hopefully that helps a little.

·
Registered
779 Posts
Your 100% CHEAPEST upgrade would be MPFI, then D16A6 or SOHC ZC, then DOHC ZC, then D16Z6 with OBD1, then it would be a B series. Those are also listed in the pricing as a B series tends to get pricey and complicated (even if you stay obd0 it's still a good bit of money for all the added parts) and a D series is usually cheap and simple.

With a 500$ budget say, I'd go D16A6 with an Si tranny. You will feel a huge difference and you can keep most of the upgraded parts you have now.

·
Registered
473 Posts
ludesrv said:
Your 100% CHEAPEST upgrade would be MPFI, then D16A6 or SOHC ZC, then DOHC ZC, then D16Z6 with OBD1, then it would be a B series. Those are also listed in the pricing as a B series tends to get pricey and complicated (even if you stay obd0 it's still a good bit of money for all the added parts) and a D series is usually cheap and simple.

With a 500$ budget say, I'd go D16A6 with an Si tranny. You will feel a huge difference and you can keep most of the upgraded parts you have now.
He could even get most of the power of a D16 just by swapping in an Si trans, a new clutch, and cams. Even better off with the SOHC ZC cams. I've got the Si tranny on my d-series now and I can definitely feel the difference. Still saving to go B :)

·
Registered
779 Posts
JustAnotherRex said:
ludesrv said:

He could even get most of the power of a D16 just by swapping in an Si trans, a new clutch, and cams. Even better off with the SOHC ZC cams. I've got the Si tranny on my d-series now and I can definitely feel the difference. Still saving to go B :)
Lol...cams eh? It's a Single Over Head Cam (SOHC) engine, it has 1 cam. And any aftermarket cam is better then a SOHC ZC cam, that's just the best OEM cam you can get. I went B series. It was fun, it broke tho and was too costly to fix. My fix is now a GSR block with the B16 head. Sometimes I wish I would of left my SOHC ZC in there. It was mint and never gave me any issues.

·
Registered
473 Posts
ludesrv said:
Lol...cams eh? It's a Single Over Head Cam (SOHC) engine, it has 1 cam. And any aftermarket cam is better then a SOHC ZC cam, that's just the best OEM cam you can get. I went B series. It was fun, it broke tho and was too costly to fix. My fix is now a GSR block with the B16 head. Sometimes I wish I would of left my SOHC ZC in there. It was mint and never gave me any issues.
Replying too quick! You got me, two cams won't help much in a SOHC :D. Duh. What happened to your B exactly? I'm always curious about problems since I'm slowly working up the cash and cajones to get one.

BTW On an unrelated note - HST is second only to Lemmy.

·
Registered
779 Posts
Well, my B16 had been hacked before I got it. Whoever had the engine before me had stripped the drive side mount holes. Instead of doing it right, they stuck in a ghetto ass stud made of ****ty steel. Well on my way to ohio it snapped about 50kms from Bart's house and it only failed minutes after meeting up with everyone. It more then likely won't happen to anyone else. It's just my luck to have anything nice break and I've accepted it. As much as I try to get something nice, it never works out lol.

·
Registered
551 Posts
1. B series - 18A, 16, 18C - Tough little SOBs, and pretty damn good power on the highend. The 18A is the non-VTEC one and has the ability to push out good torque numbers and takes great to a turbo. The b16 is kind of a worthless swap, as the D15 you have in your car can be built up to have better power across the band than the B16 will experience - which is really just top end performance. The B18C series is my engine of choice, being out of GSRs or Type-R in the B18C5 case. These engines have pretty good torque, nice hp numbers, and can swap in without much weight issue.

2. H series - H22, etc. - Monsters, not much heavier but you're talking ~200 hp and close to that in torque (not at the wheels) from a honda I4 displacing 2.2 litres. One of the nicest options out there beyond K series. Once again, great motors, VTEC also.

yeah i agree about your ideas but personally if you have the money go with the jdm h22a it has like 220 stock, just better over all. and the type r b series like the b16a.......... all the choices you have told the guy, but me personally just turbo the stock motor because can build it and then turbo it that would be pretty bad, every body correct me if i am wrong, but i think you can build a single cam to just as fast as a dohc motor, but alot more work needed!!!!!!! so i have heard from one of my friends :?:

·
Registered
20,303 Posts
New Crx Buyer!!! said:
my budget is goin to be around 2500
Ok so we have a dollar amount.....now you need to figure some more things out....

baker423 said:
2.Will you be doing the work yourself, or will there be labor costs involved that you would need to figure in to your budget.

·
Registered
122 Posts
hmmmmm, 2500 bucks? Sell the car you have now... find another crx with a b18 or b16 swap already in place for 3 to 35 hundred and ull still have money left over after dumping off the one you have for 2 grand or so. Total cost for swap would be around a grand, then take the money left over and put into a turbo set up, or interior/body restoration if there is any needed.

·
Premium Member
4,512 Posts
baker423 said:
New Crx Buyer!!! said:
my budget is goin to be around 2500
Ok so we have a dollar amount.....now you need to figure some more things out....

baker423 said:
2.Will you be doing the work yourself, or will there be labor costs involved that you would need to figure in to your budget.
Agreed #2 will decide what is possible for your swap
If your going to pay someone else to do the work its a whole new ballgame.
I say that because I have 1K in machine work in a 12:1 A6 for my DD.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.