Honda CRX Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9,844 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Monday night 4 men entered a jewelry store, and left with over a million in merchandise. Two officers responded to the robbery in progress. The robbers fled in a car west, where they crashed into a gas station pump. Luckily, the pumps fire protection systems worked, and limited damage. The robbers then attempted to flee on foot, however not without a gun fight with the police. One officer was shot in the neck, and died on scene. One of the robbers was arrested at this point. The shooter then hijacked a tow truck, and used it to travel from the Utica, NY area to Allenstown, PA. He released the tow truck driver and truck that night, and continued on to an area south of Philadelphia, PA where he camped out in a house. Another gun fight led to a US Marshall being injured, and the suspect killed.

My parents said that state police choppers were searching their neighborhood with spot lights. They were also caught up in a few roadblocks. Apparently, my Dad decided to look overly suspicious, and tried to evade the block, lol. The cops ran over as he tried to turn around, only to find out my Dad can just be severly impatient with stuff like that, lol.

I guess this afterrnoon, there was a bank robbery in Elmira, NY (about 3 hours from Utica), which it is believed (according to the TV news) the two fugatives were a part of. One state trooper was shot and killed.

Utica, NY news
Elmira NY news

I know for some areas of the country, this is somewhat commonplace, but I've never heard of anything of this magnitude back home.

RIP, Officers

·
Registered
3,695 Posts
damn, that's horrible. sometimes I think law officers should be trained to shoot first, ask questions later, but then you get those shootings where a guy has a pear in his hand and an officer thinks it's a grenade and fires. I heard that happened a while back. Anyhow, truely some sad events in NY.

·
Registered
9,844 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think I may have some events slightly out of order. I think the one arrested was arrested after a footchase from the jewelers, before the car chase/shootout occured. Either that, or the one who was arrested was enough of a deterent for the shooter to get into the woods.

I did read only 2 cops showed up at the store at first. The dept is limited in size... only 26 cops. I'm not sure how many officers were brought in.

The local officer, Officer Corr, was wearing a bullet-proof jacket, but was shot in the neck. He was a cousin of my sister's friend. The other officer who responded initially, was another friend of hers' dad, or something of the sort.

His funeral is tomorrow.

I also read these guys had deactivated the security system in the store, no video, no alarms.

They came from Pa too. It seems really random though since New Hartford is such a small town.

·
Registered
62 Posts
damn your towns interestin. nothing like that happens here all we hear about is drug bust last week the stereo place called Stereo Town was busted with 5 kilos of coke and 1000 kilos of weed. yess i said 1000 kilos thats more than a rex weighs . they also confiscated the stretch hummer limos, the limo drivers were charged to. they confisated in total like 45 mil in cash from the 3 guys that got busted. i guess they had money just bareed under ground all over thier yards .i skipped class to see the U.S marshals take his $45,000 bike from an exhibit at our art center it was next to one of my friends bikes he built.

·
Registered
9,844 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
In the 24 yrs I've been around, I only remember 22, but nothing like this has ever happened. I don't even think we've ever had a drug bust... not that its not out there, theres just never been anything significant, so, its a big shocker to me, at least that it happened back there.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts