Honda CRX Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I recently bought an exhaust and installed it, it didn't fit really well and the muffler was too big and was scraping. That was not a big problem. THe problem is when I drove it, and when it reaches 3000RPM there is a distinctive rattling noise that is coming from the back. My friend told me it was because I had no cat, but the sound sounded like something is loose or metal hitting metle. So today I got rid of the badly made exhaust, from the axle back and up, I've replaced the muffler with a magnaflow, and the axleback was customly welded and bent so no metal is touching. But same problem still exsists. Everytime it hits 3000RPM the sharp rattling noises comes back and it goes away after it clears 3500 RPM. I told my friend to listen to the noise while I drive, and it sounded like it did not come from the exhaust instead it came from something inside of the car. I was wondering if you guys can help me out. What can possibly vibrate or come loose in the back? The sound is driving me absolutley crazzzzzy. Thanks
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
734 Posts
shanghaining said:
I was wondering if you guys can help me out. What can possibly vibrate or come loose in the back? The sound is driving me absolutley crazzzzzy. Thanks
Heat shield on the cat? I dunno...I've had more than one exhaust (Invidia catback, custom welded exhaust) with a header that gets really buzzy at certain RPMs and then smooths out -- my car does it right now, actually, right around where yours does in the RPM range. It may just be the stereotypical Honda ricer exhaust buzz, where your car sounds like a pissed-off weed whacker.

Make sure you have a donut gasket between the header collector and the cat or test pipe (a straight pipe in place of the cat will make it worse, btw), and if all else fails take it to a muffler shop and have them weld in a resonator (like a cheap glasspack/cherry bomb muffler) in-line before your normal muffler. This worked like a charm on my old car, totally killed the buzzy sound and made the car 100 times nicer to drive. I'm going through the same thing right now on a car I bought with an exhaust already on it. It had a test pipe with no donut gasket, sounded like crap -- it's a little better now but I might have to have a resonator put on this one too, i HATE the buzz.

Good luck man and let us know how it works out.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,746 Posts
Ok man, I'm sorry, with that title, I had to...

A pirate walks into a bar with the wheel from his pirate ship shoved down his pants. Clearly this is very uncomfortable, so the bartender, trying to make casual conversation with the pirate any way he can, says "hey, why do you have that huge wheel in your pants?" The pirate replies "ARRGH, IT'S DRIVING ME NUTS!"
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
952 Posts
I have the same rattling in my stock exhaust. It does drive you nuts.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
734 Posts
downest said:
Clearly this is very uncomfortable, so the bartender, trying to make casual conversation with the pirate any way he can, says "hey, why do you have that huge wheel in your pants?" The pirate replies "ARRGH, IT'S DRIVING ME NUTS!"
Bartender instead says, "Hey, doesn't that wheel in your pants bother you?"

Better setup for the double-meaning of the punchline. This has been today's installment of "Ryan's Joke Repair".
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
267 Posts
before my exhaust actuly rusted off the muffler had holes all in it and lil pepples from dirt roads it rattled like no other...

then it rusted off and i got the super loud no exhaust noise

now im going to try to get an exhaust set up

im really intrested to know what i will sound like now lol since ive never had a nice exhaust

thats what you get for 400 dollars though right?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,746 Posts
ryan_long_01 said:
downest said:
Clearly this is very uncomfortable, so the bartender, trying to make casual conversation with the pirate any way he can, says "hey, why do you have that huge wheel in your pants?" The pirate replies "ARRGH, IT'S DRIVING ME NUTS!"
Bartender instead says, "Hey, doesn't that wheel in your pants bother you?"

Better setup for the double-meaning of the punchline. This has been today's installment of "Ryan's Joke Repair".
Thread Jacker.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
778 Posts
Man, stupid pirate jokes are great.

This is one of my favorite jokes just because it is so bad...

What was the pirate movie rated? ARRRRRRRRRR

PS: My car has the same sound at a certain RPM too. It is resonating/shaking something and the pulses at that RPM hit just right. Kind of sucks but is kind of cool if you think about it.
 
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top