Buy it or save for something else?
Buy it!250.00%
Run away!125.00%
What the heck do I care??!125.00%

·
Registered
3,709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Saw this kit on sale at the tire rack, and was starting to consider it. It's about 700 bucks.

Link here: Coilover Kit

Would like to know about it from anyone with it on their car, or have known / seen it in action.

I was considering GC coilovers with koni yellows, but that seems overkill for how much I daily drive my car. (and it costs more)

Thanks in advance guys (and girls).

·
Registered
3,709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
baker423 said:
What do you do with your car?
Auto-x or just to make DD a little more fun/ better handling and for looks?
Like I said above, I daily drive my car.
I'd say it's 90% of the time.

So fun, looks, and slight handling improvement would be great.

I like the idea of the H&Rs since it's all in one, unlike the never ending combos of springs and shocks I could piece together. Plus I've read the preload that's always on coilovers makes the ride smoother for a daily driver.

Also, the adjustable features of separate shocks would be wasted on me, I'd probably set it once and forget it, so it doesn't bother me so much that the shocks in the H&Rs are not adjustable.

Now what advice can ya give me??
:p

·
Registered
4,386 Posts
I used to have a different type of H&R full body coilovers, and I hated the poor workmanship and quality. And their service even more when one broke.

Altho that was years ago, and north america probably has an entirely different customer service.

These coilovers seem to be progressive, as opposed to linear.
I personally hate prograssive springs. But to each his own.

·
Registered
6,568 Posts
My roomate and my cousin both have H&R coilover suspension. That kit you are looking at is the bargain basement 'cup kit' model, with progressive (read: soft and unpredictable) springs, designed for street comfort. In that vein, your probably gonna get a higher value out of the similair tokico all in one setup (though I still advise against that).

My cousin purely daily drives his car, and he has the next model up with linear springs (though still too soft in my opinion, and getting sprgin rates our of HR is like pulling teeth), but he really likes them.

My roomate has the the next model higher then that even, and he bought the ones for the S4 instead of his A4.....always ahd a problem iwth them being undersprung, come to find out they only have 450lb springs! weve alse had problems with the collars locking up and he had a damper die on him. warranty service was slow, but came through.

I would adivse against that setup personally, and suggest AGXs/HR springs or konis/gcs. If you are on a really tight budget look into the koni specials (reds) they are non adjustable and a little cheaper. I normally wouldnt say to pick them up, but for a non adjustable damper, they are pretty damn good.

[email protected]

·
Registered
3,709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
mattminerDOTcom said:
That kit you are looking at is the bargain basement 'cup kit' model, with progressive (read: soft and unpredictable) springs, designed for street comfort.

[email protected]
Hmm, interesting. It didn't say cup kit anywhere, now I notice it in the picture of the box. I thought these were the regular H&R coilovers, the non-adjustable (not PCS) ones.

We'll see how they are. I've been researching long and hard the past couple weeks, and it seems there are people that praise or rip apart every type of suspension, even ground controls.

I got fed up and ordered them last night (before this thread), due to reading many people that said they are nice for a daily. My car goals right now are to improve the looks with a drop and replace my ancient stock parts, I think the H&Rs are okay for that.

So I'll try 'em out and report what I think. I probably do what most people do, ride on a soft setup like this for awhile, then sell and get a stiffy. :p If I remember right Tyson had a pro-kit at first, now he has mad stiff setup with a big rear swaybar.

I'm just happy that this weekend I can be installing parts rather than reading about them! :D Thanks for the quick replies baker, bas, and matt!

·
Registered
6,568 Posts
youll have to let us know how you like them. i didnt see the price on there, if you dont mind, how much did they cost?

im sure for DD duty they will be more then sufficient and I hope you have good luck with them.

[email protected]

·
Registered
3,709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
mattminerDOTcom said:
...if you dont mind, how much did they cost?

im sure for DD duty they will be more then sufficient and I hope you have good luck with them.

[email protected]
Thanks, I hope they work to my liking! As far as price, they were on special, and that was a big reason I considered them.

Cost was 683 bucks. Normal price on tirerack was listed at 975.

Should be interesting to see what I get, all the tirerack pictures of the H&R coilover types say "cup kit" on the box, with different colors of springs in the picture. They can't all be cup kits, so who the heck knows! :?

The coilovers plus my brake stuff should arrive thurs or friday.

I'll have a low rolling, less squatting, quick braking son of a gun! :p

·
Registered
6,568 Posts
i forgot to mention my other roomate, also with an A4, had the cup kit on his car and he liked them alot. he was into the 'look of low', i always felt tehy were too soft. but they worked great for him. the dampers lasted about 3 years in his case.

[email protected]

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.