Honda CRX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
9,746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well... racing around with a friend tonight... I guess the D has tq... cause I broke my driver side engine mount... sheared in 2, the engine is held up by the AEM cam gear...

im pissed... time to break out the home brew...

·
Registered
779 Posts
downest said:
I just went out with a couple of friends and looked at it... the mount strippped the aluminium out of the block!
Hey, same thing happen to me and my B16!!!

I don't know how to fix it, do you? Mine had it happen once and it was fixed and now the hole is huge too. I wish they could fill it with aluminum and tap it again.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Sounds like it's swap time. If you pulled metal out of the block then you're at least looking at a new block, you don't want to be driving around with an improvised motor mount.

·
Registered
779 Posts
tubafreak said:
Sounds like it's swap time. If you pulled metal out of the block then you're at least looking at a new block, you don't want to be driving around with an improvised motor mount.
He's right about the mount. You don't wanna be messing around with that. Try asking a machine shop and see what they can do. Or a welding shop and see what they can do. I only have 2 of my 3 holes damaged. The other one has that grade 8 honda bolt stuck in it and I cant get it out.

·
Registered
9,746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well I got it up to the shop (towed with a Festiva!) and checked it out. I removed the mount, the motor didn't move much more so it wasn't supporting a lot of weight on the cam/gear. The gear looks ok, the outer edge is worn a little but overall it's good. The upper bolt holding the mount to the block is gone, and it took out a big chunk of aluminium with it, it's beyond retapping. The lower bolt was in the mount stilll, a little wedged on the block so I didn't lose it. It pulled out almost all the threads, there's aluminium in between all but the last couple mm of the threads on it. Everything else looks ok, I turned the key to on and it's not throwing a code anymore, I didn't check it last night to see what it was throwing when the CEL came on. No, I wasn't running that front piece, with the mini-me it's too close to the timing belt for comfort.

·
Registered
9,844 Posts
No A6s in my yard, but there is a fairly complete Z6, and a Z6 bottom end, both attached to autotragics.

There is another yard on the other side of town that I didn't think I'd have time to get to today.

·
Registered
9,746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Don't worry Mark...

I was fooling around with my friend in his Volvo, I just launched really hard and that was it, no traction and a lot of wheel hop. Pretty embarassing, damn Volvo!

I learned my lesson about street racing a while ago... no need for that!

·
Registered
9,746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
So the CRXCommunity comes through again... another reason I love this place...

Scott (rex2nr) is coming out here this weekend with a fresh block for me, so I'm planning to be back on the road by Sunday evening. I'm taking the motor out tonight/tomorrow and stripping the block down, so when he gets here it should only take a few hours to assemble everything and get it in the car.

·
Registered
9,746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Ragnaarok said:
oww, sorry to hear, man. seems your engines like to destroy themselves.

be easy on that new block this weekend! :p
The other one I can understand... this one though... I don't know. Must have been a manufacturing defect OR my SOHC makes just too much torque :twisted:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.