Honda CRX Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First off... HI

Anyway, I have been having troubles with my CRX. It likes to die randomly. I replaced the main relay, spark plugs, wires, cap, and rotor. I was going to replace the igniter and coil but the igniter is stuck all up in there. I was thinking of just replacing the whole distro with one of those external coil units. I'm going to try again to get the igniter out tonight since I pulled the whole distro. So I guess the big question is... is there any benifit to going with the external coil? I know I could replace the unit but if I can upgrade...and save some hassle at the same time... I'm all for that.

I appreciate any imput you guys have. Thanks

·
Registered
529 Posts
The best way to do it is to do away with the dizzy all together. It is pricey though, you will have to switch to a standalone like Haltech, and run a coil pack system. Distributors are archaic technology, and should never be used. They are the weakest link of our cars. Whenever any of my friends has a problem with their car, it is usually the dizzy. External coils are better, but not really noticeable unless you have boost or high comp. Chances are it is your ignitor, change it, and if you want there are kits to convert to external coil. No need to buy a whole new dizzy.

·
Registered
51 Posts
You won't see any advantage to an upgraded ignition system until you're pushing lots of power. There are plenty of guys running over 400hp with stock ignitions. Distributors may be archaic and problematic, but no can accuse honda of under-engineering them.

I would just pick up a used dizzy and slap it on to see if that fixes the problem. It's 3 bolts and a couple of plugs, and will be far easier than any upgrade. If that fixes the problem, then you're still open to upgrade later. I just wouldn't throw money at aftermarket ignition parts if you're not sure that's the source of the trouble.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Just got the igniter replaced (the screws were a PITA) and everything back together. Went for a short drive and so far so good. Hopefully that's the end of my random dead engine. I'm going to replace the coil as well as soon as it gets here. Thanks for the insight folks. I'll just run the stock system for now.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.