Honda CRX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

· Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just wondering what is the fastest streetable CRX built so far? What kind of time it runs, and what it's setup is. I'm trying to do some research on what would be possible to do and what all it'd take. When i'm done with college i'd like to start building my crx a lot more than it is already, and my goal is to have one of the fastest streetable fwd's in the area, and was wondering how probable it is. Currently we have a 98 turbo'd GSR that runs 10.8, and a Eg hatch with a turbo'd D16 that runs 11.2

· Registered
188 Posts
Hey man,

Just wondering what college or University you going to?

I was in Valley for a year.

You at UND?

Also in my opinion if you want to make a crx fast, get a K20A, boost it, and you'll run **** in your area for sure. I'll come down with mine and we'll race. I'm currently sporting a D16Z6, its pretty sweet.

· Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I go to NDSU. Right now I have a B18A, and i'm building a B20/vtec for this summer. I know there's a K20 CRX being built in Grand Forks, I'd like to stay B-series though if possible.

· Registered
2,806 Posts
bubba said:
Do you know what he was using as a set-up
\

He was using a VERY smart, and VERY well thought-out setup... he didn't just bolt random parts on that everyone said were cool, and go run a 9...

He also didn't advertise much about what he exactly had, but i can guarantee you that it was nothing overly elaborate.

FWIW, the guesstimated HP he had when he first started hitting the 9's was only around 500whp. When Ed Bergenholtz broke into the 9's with their Hot Rod car, it had even less HP.

So just remember, with that being said, that it is NOT only about HP and big turbo's, and bandwagon parts... think SMART about everything from the engine setup, to the chassis setup, and even about (*gasp*) driving ability..... no, not everyone is a good driver (being a good driver extends beyond turning the wheel and shifting as well of course), no matter how much they think/wish they were.

8)

· Registered
6,568 Posts
thats how ryans car is, people always are like WOW whats in that thing. and then they are underwhelmed by the parts list.

turns out he bought hte right parts, put them together with a plan and bam, hey look, a 9 second civic.

[email protected]

· Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I know, i've realized it's not just about hp and stuff to make for a good time. Is there any information out there on what you all need to look for in a good set-up and what parts are the best to use, etc? After i'm out of school I plan on turning my CRX into more of a track car, but still want it to be streetable. Also does anyone know what the rules are for having a sunroof, i've been trying to decide if I want to get an Si for the comfort or stick with a Hf, and does weight really matter that much when you're putting that kind of HP down?

· Registered
78 Posts
Everyone has different setups that work. I'll say you can never go wrong with stock honda parts! Seriously you want a "streetable car" streetable being the keyword, allmotor is in my opinion the right way to go. Some will disagree but if you setup a type R block b16 head and its tuned properly in a crx its an easy low 13s high 12 second streetable car. Of course there will be people who disagree but theres a few out there I'm sure will understand what im saying. Honda does it right ..i.e. honda block pistons cams head intake trans ...aftermarket clutch header cam sprockets exhaust and so on you get the point i think. Just going off past experience and what has worked for me. Spending a ton of money on boring blocks and aftermarket piston and cams and this that and the other thing that the magazines where paid to tell you will give you 100 horsepower isn't always (if ever) the right way to go. Either way man do something that you can handle (driving wise) and dont do it all at once. Alot more joy comes out of doing a stock swap then adding as you go and test and tune a part at a time. enjoy the experience of building a car!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.