Honda CRX Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9,746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Played with the timing again today and you guys were right, it was half a tooth off. All the swap guides say that won't happen with the Y8 but it seemed to be the case. Got the timing set right and it idles smooth. The problem is, I have a mix of 93 and 87 in the tank, and when I rev it much it knocks a bit, so I have to go get some more 93 in a can and bring it to the car. I was thinking about grabbing some octane booster too, but I'm not sure if it actually works... anyone know?

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
Congrats man. I'm not sure about those octane booster products. Just keep topping it up with higher octane gas, and the problem will be gone in no time.

·
Registered
9,746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I put a few gallons of 93 in a little while ago. It's running rough, doesn't like to start unless it's pretty advanced, and because of the high compression I'm a little worried about it like that. Could the starting issue be because I've bypassed the FITV, I thought that would just create a cold idle. Also, how do you bleed the coolant on an engine without the bleeder screw? Based on the compression calcs I've been using, I'm at about 12.6:1, just on the limits of pump gas (93/94).

·
Registered
9,746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ok no more detonation with 93... but....
It was running rough and very rich. While timing it I realized the spark isn't constant, hence the running rich. I can watch it change on cyls 1 and 2 as the motor idles from bad to smooth. The dizzy isn't bolted down quite all the way, but that's the only thing out of the ordinary. I don't know what to do... the cap, rotor, and ICM in the dizzy are all new, I tested the ignitor and it's fine.

·
Registered
9,746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
A friend of mine suggested changing the spark plug gap because of the high compression (I guess it's done for FI motors). We quickly gapped each one at 0.035... and it started up fine. The idle was much smoother too. Still the timing is a little off and I pulled the throttle a little too fast and it died... wouldn't start back up easily. Anyway though, should I get new plugs tomorrow with a smaller gap?

·
Registered
778 Posts
mine idles fine with 93 octane. i never got any pinging or anything. it ran great after i set my valve lash to the propper gap. i may re-gap my plugs if your friend recommends it for high compression. i my be running rich too, i don' know my fuel pressure yet cause i haven't received my damn fuel gauge in the mail yet.

at least you got her running!

i have the vacuum line where the charcoal canister/purge solenoid connected too open. it idles better with it open. don't know if that's a problem or not.

you also may want to reset the ecu and let it idle to relearn. i did that a few times to get it to idle fine. good luck man. almost there!

·
Registered
9,746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I ended up getting new Denso plugs today, gapped them to 0.035 and it fired right up, no stumbling or hesitation. It's really loud and seems to bog a little under throttle, I need to wait for it to cool down now and readjust the valves.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.