Honda CRX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
There's a lot of keyboards and peripherals for computers that are now coming out with "Bio-metrics" (finger print swiping). Perhaps you could get one of them and take out the scanner part and circuitry and utilize it for your application.

·
Registered
2,806 Posts
I look at things like that like "Sure, its cool, but they still only need a tow truck"

Especially with cars like ours that aren't exactly 'fort knox' in the first place... Just get a good alarm, and a non-apathetic installer who'll take the time to hide the stuff right, and make it very difficult to get to ,or cut wires, and just be careful with your car and where you leave it.

A small $1.00 kill switch could also be easily used and very well hidden as well... actually, it'll be able to be hidden better than that fingerprint scanner thing... Sure, it wouldn't be nearly as cool i guess, but who cares. You're just trying to protect your car, right?

I've seen some VERY creative kill switches in my day... the most creative, and the one i liked the most, was a switch that you had to have the ashtray open with lights on for it to start (i.e. relay off of the bulb in the ashtray allowed the car to start)... and it was wired into the factory harness nicely and down-stream, so you'd never know it was there. Not in a Honda, but still creative as hell :p

·
Registered
9,754 Posts
I agree with that John. One of my favourite parts about the kill switches was finding cool places to put them. I have mine set up so if I let someone else drive the car, they wouldn't even know they're there.

·
Registered
320 Posts
downest said:
I agree with that John. One of my favourite parts about the kill switches was finding cool places to put them. I have mine set up so if I let someone else drive the car, they wouldn't even know they're there.
How hard is it to install these kill switches...costs?

·
Registered
711 Posts
jaowli said:
downest said:
it is not that hard and the cost is cheap! :wink:

·
Registered
916 Posts
jaowli said:
downest said:
It's just a switch to "kill" power to something that the car needs to run, such as ignition or fuel pump. You splice into the power wire to the fuel pump lets say, and add a switch that will cut power to the pump, so the car won't start unless the switch is turned on.

·
Registered
711 Posts
I think i can figure that out :wink:
You have a constant internet connection in your car Synoptic? I'm curious what you did for that setup... GPRS? or Cellphone as a modem with a dial up plan?

I can think of a few ways this could be done...

·
Registered
274 Posts
ok it is much easier than you think. I have a tracking devince, similar to the boomrang device. This device has outputs that can be activated from the company's website, when logged into my account. The Device currently communicates using CDMA. That's it. I'm going to get the new technology of tracking device next month. GPRS + GPS, shoud be better ! Less outputs, but I dont care since I only need 1 or 2.

IT costs me 15$/months.

·
Registered
778 Posts
I'm going to have my Si set up so you don't need the key and i'll just take off the door locks. those are all pointless since they are very easily circumvented. the only way to steal the car will be with a truck...which really isn't that hard if you think about it.

best thing is to just be smart. don't advertise (stickers, internet, etc) Be careful where you park the car. if you take your car in anywhere to get it worked on or have tires put on, oil changed or anything similar do not give them any of your personal info and pay with cash only (or give them fake info like i do =) zip code 12345 is for schnecetady NY. trust me on this one. they can log into the computer, figure out what car you had, where you live. the place where i bought my CD player did this and stole it from me and several other cars who had stuff installed there. those guys knew exactly where to find the cars and what each car had in them and they installed it all so they made it easy to uninstall.

i caught a kid peeking under my car in a parking lot once. i tailed him and got his plates. he probably was just admiring/checking out what i had as i have done before, but you never know. if it ended up missing i would have turned in the plates of his car as a possible suspect.

·
Registered
711 Posts
Dren said:
I'm going to have my Si set up so you don't need the key and i'll just take off the door locks. those are all pointless since they are very easily circumvented. the only way to steal the car will be with a truck...which really isn't that hard if you think about it
I got on the whole removing the locks bit. Best way is to get the rear door handles from the EF 4 dr. sedans (if i'm not mistaken)... i'm just worried about my remote running out of battery/my battery dying in the car :lol:.. might need an alternative method to get in, incase...

Interms of my car being stolen by a truck...
man thats really one thing that makes me nervous...

·
Registered
778 Posts
you can get in the car very easy with it locked with a license plate

i've gotten into mine with a screw driver and long thin stiff piece of metal

i was just eliminating the locks since i'm stripping my car down anyway, the more i can take off the better. i'll just have the car wired up so that i will be the only one who knows how to start it. that protects it from some theft. plus i won't need a key for anything

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.