Honda CRX Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9,754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well yesterday I got my first race in. My school has a club that runs autocrosses on campus three times a semester, with looser classing than SCCA. We run 3 classes, GT, A, and B, which are loosely based on car and what we (tech/classers) know of driver skill. Usually I run in GT. Since the CRX is down, I drove my friend's car, a 1970 Datsun 240Z with a 82 280ZX Turbo motor in it (the turbo banana). I'll get pics soon hopefully.

Anyway, I went in expecting to have fun, thinking I couldn't really put down decent times in the Z, since I've only fun run it a couple of times, and we were on pretty craptastic tires, not to mention my friend and I were both driving it (he in A and me in GT). I entered in GT so that I could keep my points for the next time when I drive the CRX. Anyway, so Marty and I were talking at the beginning and decided to just go for fun, I tried to get the car a little more sideways each time and I didn't look at my times. At the end, when the times were read off, I was in 3rd place! Jon (rep1icant) won the whole thing in the Silver Bullet, but honestly he could probably put a 2CV around the course faster than anyone could do it in a Caterham.

Driving the Z for the day really makes me want a RWD car. I'm sure I could have been a lot faster in the CRX, but the power and handling of the Datsun was just way more fun. I want to learn to drive it better, maybe on a car that's a little easier to drive. I've been thinking about getting another car for pleasure (read: not highly modified) once I am out of school, I've been looking at first gen RX-7s and 240/260/280Zs.

I'll update with pics as I get them, Jon should post up here too.

·
Registered
20,417 Posts
downest said:
Driving the Z for the day really makes me want a RWD car. I'm sure I could have been a lot faster in the CRX, but the power and handling of the Datsun was just way more fun.
RWD cars are fun, but i don't know if i could do it...I bleeed Honda Red (or blue, depending on your region) :lol:

·
Registered
9,754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Everyone loves the 510... which makes it overpriced. I love the old Datsuns, but they really won't compete with an s2 that has 30 more years of tech put into it, for a cheaper/older car I think a second gen RX7 would stomp on a stock Datsun for less money (if you get the motor to work). The 240 is sitting on Tokicos Illumina/spring package, with a seriously more powerful motor and some other mods, and I think the CRX is a much more capable autocross car (though it is 20 years newer).

·
Registered
437 Posts
autox is all about smooth driving to achieve the best time for your class <--- this is what i am learning and seems to be working

i autox my 91 hatch with the BMW Club and two times a year they have a BMW vs PCA event where I help add on to the female drivers for team BMW by driving my friends 318ti

it is the only time i drive a RWD and its fun but i <3 my FWD

·
Registered
9,754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
PCA events are fun, and they let me collect blue ribbons :p Their classing is silly, they always underestimate the little 4cyl. Last may they asked us if Matt's GSR motor was a 1.3 liter!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.