Honda CRX Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok I have a friend who is a mechanic, but he has never had to deal with a "modified" honda.

Here is whats going on..

its a 88 civic hatch, it has had a dpfi to mpfi swap done to it.. I dont know all the details, but this is whats going on so far..

the wiring looks to be ok, but in this swap, they are using and OBD1 or obd2 distributor, and they have re-pinned the main plug from the dizzy.. from obd0 to obd1 or 2... its a gray plug.. I think thats obd2?

he was getting fuel and spark, but the car was not firing.. so I said it was a timing issue.. sure enough timing was off by 5 teeth.. he put on a new timing belt, and now.. he has no fuel, and no spark, and no injector pulse...

when the key is in the ON position, the fuel pump stays running... you know that short 2 second buzz you hear when the fuel pump primes itself... well it just continually does it now...

I think maybe his ecu is wacky... im giving him a pm6 to try.. other then that all i can tell him right now is to go back and check all the ground, re check his timing.. etc..

I would like to put in a obd0 dizzy, but the original plugs are gone...

I need some imput asap..

thanks guys I know Ill get help here!

later

Sneak

·
Registered
428 Posts
Well, if that MPFI was misswired, you can burn out your ECU... don't ask me how I know this!

·
Registered
731 Posts
sneaky_pete said:
when the key is in the ON position, the fuel pump stays running... you know that short 2 second buzz you hear when the fuel pump primes itself... well it just continually does it now...
That's kinda what happened with the last investment purchase I made. The mpfi conversion was done incorrectly so the injectors were wide open as soon as you go to crank the engine. I redid all the wiring from scratch and problem fixed. I highly suspect the same in your friend's case.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ok guys, I did some asking around, about who did the swap.. funny thing here is.. this particular car USED TO BE MINE!!! it was my 88 hatch that I ended up trading for my 91.. lol thats what happens in a small town...

Ok so here is what I now know...

The gray plug on the dizzy, turns out that it is actually a headlight plug from a 240z.. they used an obd1 dizzy, but didnt have any harness plugs.. so they used what they had to make it work... and it did work.. for a few years now the car has been running.. but just recently they couldnt get it to start...

so I got to thinking.. ok, the timing was was off, but they had injector pulse, spark, and fuel... all the things you need to start.. but the timing was just not right...

so if it was all good before... then.. I would say, that the problem is most likely a bad ground!

so tomorrow im going to tell him to put everything back to the way it was before... and set the timing... everything a zero.. just set it all back to factory specs.. (as close as that can be..) because it WAS running..

then im going to have him redo all the grounds...

how many times have you found yourself beating your head in, because your rex wouldnt fire.. and it was that ground down by the thermostat.. or the one under the battery tray...

thats going to be my suggestion...

thanks for the imput.. ill let you know what happens...

any other ideas are welcome!

later

Sneak

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.