Honda CRX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When it rains, all my windows seem to fog. I try using the defroster, but it really doesn't do anything noticeable. Am I using the defroster the wrong way, or something? To make things worse, the side rear windows are fogged up too...with no way to defrost them.

·
Registered
953 Posts
That would normaly indicate that there is water in the car. My did it when i first bought it because the guy left the sun roof open in a rain storm. The water gets in to the padding under the carpet and wont dry. I had to tear up the carpet, one because of the smell of mold, and two because it wouldnt dry. But with the carpet out, my windows dont fog up anymore.

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
Have you identified exactly where the leak is coming from? Usually leaks back there are from either the taillight seals, leaking sunroof drain tubes, or a leaky roof along the panel seams.

·
Registered
953 Posts
It could be the weatherstripping around the hatch or it could be the rear window leaking. Weatherstripping is easy to replace, the rear window strip isn't. Hope for it just being the weatherstripping. And its true the most of the crx's start to leak around the rear taillights, I know mine do.

·
Registered
953 Posts
Then thats most likey your problem. Thats faily easy to replace, and I dont know about pricing, but id say its not more then 40 or 50 bucks. Im guessing it would take about an hour or so to do it. I looked but couldnt find anything online for weatherstripping but maybe someone else could help you find some.

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
If it's coming out of your hatch shock mount points, it usually indicates that it's a leak from the roof or rear window squirter. The water runs down inside the sheet metal and comes out there and drips off the shock mount.

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
On a dry day, take a squirt bottle of water, and try isolating where the water is getting in. Squirt some water around the rear washer squirter for a while, and see if it starts dripping down the shock mount points. After that dries, try squirting some water up by the end of the black rail on the side of the roof...sometimes the panel sealer between the two metal panels starts to crack and leak.

·
Registered
734 Posts
Also just make sure your HVAC controls aren't set to recirculate, open the fresh air vent to the left of the steering wheel, and while you are figuring out the problem, go to the auto parts store and buy a bottle of Rain-X Anti-Fog. Unlike regular Rain-X, this stuff is applied to the inside of the windows to prevent them from fogging up, and it works fairly well. Good luck in finding the source of water in your car and getting it fixed.

Ryan

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Dodo said:
Then thats most likey your problem. Thats faily easy to replace, and I dont know about pricing, but id say its not more then 40 or 50 bucks. Im guessing it would take about an hour or so to do it. I looked but couldnt find anything online for weatherstripping but maybe someone else could help you find some.
I have some new weatherstripping I bought for a 1991 Honda CRX off of ebay.com. I just haven't figured out how to actually install it though. Anyone know the ins/outs?

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
jaowli said:
I have some new weatherstripping I bought for a 1991 Honda CRX off of ebay.com. I just haven't figured out how to actually install it though. Anyone know the ins/outs?
Get a broom handle to hold up the hatch because you need to disconnect the hatch struts to install the weather stripping around the hatch opening. Pay careful attention to how the old one is installed, and install the new one in exactly the same layout.

·
Registered
2,037 Posts
Just make sure that the temp is set to heat and put the fan on full blast. The hot air evaporates the condensation that builds up on the cold window. Simple as that.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.