Honda CRX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
4,384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't kno wwhat other people's views is on this, but I'm slightly concerned with the increase in new users (1 post) only signing up to sell a car.
Most of them never return to reply any questions, thus this would be considered to be SPAM.

I would encourage the idea to a 15-post minimum and 2 week membership before users are allowed to post in the for sale section.

This is a bit on the conservative side. But it weeds out the spambots and ebay scam...uhm..users.

·
Registered
20,278 Posts
SETI20 said:
I don't kno wwhat other people's views is on this, but I'm slightly concerned with the increase in new users (1 post) only signing up to sell a car.
Most of them never return to reply any questions, thus this would be considered to be SPAM.

I would encourage the idea to a 15-post minimum and 2 week membership before users are allowed to post in the for sale section.

This is a bit on the conservative side. But it weeds out the spambots and ebay scam...uhm..users.
I def do agree, even with the short time that i have been here.
I have noticed this happening and it bothers me when ppl do this on other boards as well.
I say 25 posts count and 1 month membership.

·
Registered
20,278 Posts
jfrolang said:
A minimum post count will cause more spam, not less, and it's redundant with a wait period. Two weeks without being able to post in the classifieds will clear things up, without being a huge intolerable wait for genuine new members.
Ok scrap the post count, I still say a solid month then.

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
I'm going to take the devil's advocate side of this argument... so, you guys are saying that you'd only like to buy CRX's from within our little group? No fresh CRX's from the general public?

I think most of us know to be careful when buying anything off of the internet...especially when dealing with newbies with 1 post on the forum.

·
Registered
912 Posts
but theres also the issue with spam. Ive always thought of this place as an info source. If someone needs a new car from someone outside the community, thats what ebay is for.

·
Registered
4,384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
stickershop said:
I'm going to take the devil's advocate side of this argument... so, you guys are saying that you'd only like to buy CRX's from within our little group? No fresh CRX's from the general public?

I think most of us know to be careful when buying anything off of the internet...especially when dealing with newbies with 1 post on the forum.
If you're not enthousiastic enough about taking the effort to post, for instance, merely 15 posts, and show some involvement.
Then NO. I most likely won't buy your car.

If you're just here to get rid of the thing, and not even going to bother with responding to questions. Then don't bother coming here at all.

Especially since it's harder and harder to trust people over the net.

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
You guys make some good points. I'll have to talk to Tom though, because a permissions mod would probably need to be installed on the server in order to implement this kind of feature.

·
Registered
20,278 Posts
SETI20 said:
If you're not enthousiastic enough about taking the effort to post, for instance, merely 15 posts, and show some involvement.

If you're just here to get rid of the thing, and not even going to bother with responding to questions. Then don't bother coming here at all.

Well put and i agree!

Those are both of my biggest complaints/concerns.
If you just sign up here to post up something for sale and are not going to participate, then i really have no interest in buying anything from that person. Also makes me very weary of from purchaing something from someone that nobody really knows, either from the board or actually in person.

·
Registered
2,801 Posts
SETI20 said:

I don't agree with this at all... We aren't an a$$hole-elitist site here... we're friends, and this is a community who welcomes people at all times...

if joe-blow has a CRX, and he's never been on a CRX website before, because he's just been a private owner, but a friend of his says "hey, you know there are sites online that probably deal with that car, try selling it there", and joe-blow does an internet search to find sites... and lo-and-behold, there he finds this site, and wants to present us with a perfect CRX with nothing wrong with it. He's not going to waste a month of time just to post his car.

SPAM is not one freakin guy coming on here and selling a car... spam is a BUSINESS coming on here with one post, and spamming their wares. I say as long as it is not a commercial post, they should be allowed...

I.E. The system is fine AS IS...

I'm not bothered by it one bit personally, and i think its great that we have people coming onto our little hole in the web, and posting their cars... if they didn't, you'd never know that car existed. I meet a LOT of people who have beautiful CRX's, and have no idea this site exists, and when i do tell them about it, aren't all that interested in posting on it.... and thats fine, thats their choice... a lot of people don't like forums. But i do always say "hang onto the card, because if you ever want to sell it, you'll find someone there who WILL take care of it"... this is said after handing them a Community business card of course... And with the proposed rules, owners like that will be locked out.

Its retarded... let them post, and do your own due-diligence on the purchase to make sure its ok, and real. "Buyer Beware"... But just because you have a personal peave with Spam shouldn't prohibit me or anyone else from seeing posts about cars we may want to buy.

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
The plot thickens. Another point that comes to mind is that a lot of dedicated members are without a CRX. Unless we bring in new CRX's from the general public, we aren't truly expanding our CRX-owning member base.

It is still true that it is a buyer beware market...but it's always been that way with used cars. Even with all the shady deals out there, there are still a lot of top notch cars to be had.

·
Registered
2,801 Posts
Baker: I agree, it does look kinda shady... buuuuuuuut... let em post their one post, and never be heard from again... i'd rather they be allowed to make the one post, and if that allows another member of the community to purchase a sick car, then so be it.

You'd be surprised at how many people out there just don't GET the whole forum idea/concept... they make a post, thinking of it like a bulletin board, and thats that.... they don't even THINK about replying, because they were lucky enough to just figure out how to sign up, let alone whatelse they can do here... they put their email addy in there for you to contact them, and thats it. Sure, they may be cross-posting from site to site, but they're just trying to sell thier car. And if they don't put their email addy in there, and they don't reply back, then they won't sell their car, and they won't scam anyone that way either... lol!

If it was a dealer or something, again, that is commercial, and this site already has rules in place for this.

Without going to a physical location, and seeing the car in person, NO DEAL is safe, no matter how long someone has been a member... i had a long-distance transaction for a car a long time ago, and i didn't count mychickens until the guy actually physically showed up with the car.... he drove from Texas to deliver my old yellow CRX to me, and he took a bus back, trusting me to finish my end of the deal... but up until he showed up with the car, i didn't know what to think, or if the car would even be worth the trade. It wound up being well worth it, and everyone was happy. But i just watched my back, as did that guy by checking out what he was getting in trade for the car and making sure i'd come through on my side of the deal.

Are there scammers out there? Absolutely! But if you are careful, then you won't get bitten...

I say leave things as they are, and let them post their one post if thats all they want to do (in case anyone missed that point in all of my rambling ;) )

·
Registered
4,384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
ComposiMo said:
Its retarded...
Gee John...thanks. :lol:

I've seen this go wrong on too many forums too many times.
More often than not these people simply don't -care-. Yes we're friends. And I'd like to look out for my friends a little more.
It's great to see you have so much confidence in your fellow man. But I hate to say...maybe you're a bit too gullable for 2006. :wink: There. We're even. haha.

No seriously tho.
I'm all for the freedom of speech, and the right to blah blah and all. But even in our little relatively drama-free hole in the web, we see an increase in POS alerts.
Buyer beware is a really good advice, but alot of people on here simply don't know as much as you or me, and are easily fooled.
It's hard to believe this day and age that you can sign up to a forum not knowing what you're getting yourself in to. Especially with the general CRX owner age.

Plus, it's simply annoying as hell for someone to post a topic, often without email address, you asking a question, and him bumping the thread a month later without answering any of them.

I haven't made my mind up about how that looks to outsiders yet. But I'm leaning towards "oh, it's one of those sites again".

·
Registered
2,801 Posts
"Gee John...thanks."

Hey, no problem Bas... glad that i could contribute :p hehe...

They simply may not care, and there may be a few bad apples in there, but that will happen no matter what for the most part... I think that we'd be cutting ourselves off from some great deals out there if we disallow that sort of post... fear of outsiders will only have us living in a "The Village" society on this site, and quite frankly, that kinda sucks, especially when it comes to things for sale... what if a guy who was in his 80's happened to buy an 89 Exclusive back in the day, and drove it to and from church on the weekends... then, it comes time to sell, and he has a friend hook him up to this 'internet thing', and finds some sites to post the car on. It'll get posted everywhere else BUT here, because we don't allow his kind here... so one of our members might miss out on the deal of a lifetime.

As for people potentially getting screwed, because they don't know as much as you or me or anyone else around here... well, that'll happen regardless of whether we allow a post here or not. If they aren't smart enough to take the advise of the people on this site, and ask questions, then they'll learn the hard way... thats the way of life... if we start trying to protect them from themselves, now we're like a mini-government, and we'd better start paying attention to other things that go on around here, and control more of it, like what happens in PMs... we'll have to keep better track of sales that occur, and try to enforce shipping rules and crap.... its a vicious cycle.

Its ALL "Buyer Beware", and you are responsible for your own actions, the site is NOT. Sure, we can look out for each other, and if we see something wrong with a car for sale, maybe post in the thread... but don't keep that car (or any other item for sale) from being posted in the first place...

Oh, and i don't think its difficult to believe at all about people not getting into web forums, and someones lack-of understanding of how a forum works... you DO realize, that just because you understand a forum, doesn't mean most other people do? I know a LOT of people, young and old, who have never visited a forum, and don't really care... they also don't quite understand what i'm talking about when i describe it to them.... most comment on how complicated it sounds... even people my age! The internet is probably AT BEST a 10% representation of what really is out there in any given special-interest group. Maybe its different over there, but here, there are a lot of people still that don't care about the internet other than email.

Maybe a better idea, would be to implement some sort of required email in the post... an added field, or just a requirement. Maybe it is something that could be coded with a verification step, where the post is set into limbo until a link is clicked that gets emailed to the user? then, that working email is placed onto the post... i'm sure there is someone in here good enough with PHP that could make something like that happen... i could be wrong though, who knows.. lol!

·
Registered
952 Posts
An idea could be made that if you want to sell a car on here, come on as a guest, so we dont have all these members that just want to sell something; The guest would then have to be approved by one of the moderators on here. Once approved, Have them leave what there are selling, how much, maybe a picture, and a way to get a hold of them if someone does want to buy it. Then you can put a thread up, that is locked, for us to view. After awhile, the thread could be deleted from the site to keep thing looking nice and clean.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.