Honda CRX Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
289 Posts
lessonsinspeed said:
Who knows, a view to the future? Formula 1 meets rally racing?
Wasn't that was "Group B" rally was? :D

I thought at one point a Lancia rally car turned a lap time on a track in europe that would have qualified it with a formula 1 race held on the same track the same year (sometime in the 80's I think). Further details can be googled I'm sure.

Ah, here it is: http://home.planet.nl/~koper193/groupb.html

·
Registered
734 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
'9445 said:
That website said:
Henri Toivonen drove an S4 around Estoril, the Portuguese Grand Prix circuit, so quickly that he would have qualified sixth for the 1986 Portuguese Grand Prix.
Wow, and 1986 was the peak of F1 horsepower. That was when the cars were running little CRX-sized engines that were turbocharged and making well over 1000HP...I think the 1986 Benneton BMW had a 1.5 liter turbocharged engine that, in qualifying trim, made close to 1500 HP (1000 HP/liter is pretty amazing -- and to think we're generally happy with around 10% of that!). In 1987 they decided to restrict the boost levels to 4 bar -- or 58 psi -- so you can imagine how much boost they ran in 86.

To imagine a rally car that could qualify toward the front of the pack in THOSE F1 years is nothing short of amazing.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.