Honda CRX Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
734 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone,

When I first started working at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway at the beginning of March, and again back around the time of the Indy 500, there have been some people talking about coming to the USGP this year. Since it's coming up *very* soon, I thought I would start a new thread to "officially" see who is going to come, possibly organize a little mini-CRX Community meet/hangout, whatever. So, if you'll be in Indy next weekend, be sure to post on this thread to let everyone know!

Also, I will *probably* be able to pick up a limited number of media tickets (in addition to the reserved seats I get for myself) -- these are basically general admission tickets for the media but there are generally enough for employees of IMS to snag some. These will get you into the track on race day but they don't get you a seat...but some of the viewing mounds offer pretty good views of the track. I'll have to find out if we get media tickets for the other days to see qualifications and the other races/events (Formula BMW, Porsche Michelin Supercup, and the Indy ProSeries Liberty Challenge, etc). If not, general-admission single-day tickets for Friday are $10, Saturday is $20, and a two-day Fri-Sat pass is $25. Grandstand reseved seats for the race start at $75, FYI. I assume these WILL get you access to Thursday's pit walkabout and driver autograph sessions -- events that are ONLY open to race day ticket holders.

So, here's the deal...first off, I can't guarantee how many tickets I can get until I have them in my hands (and I already have a couple of friends interested), so until I can absolutely tell you 100% that I've got a ticket that you can use, don't count on anything until it's a done deal. If someone here needs a race ticket, I can do my best to get one...but I'll definitely have to limit it to bona fide "regulars" here at this site and people that I've met at CRX meets (xxpaulcpxx's meet in Chicago, N9, etc.), because I don't want somebody seeing this and telling all their buddies that they can get free tickets, I don't need this getting linked on honda-tech and people I've never talked to trying to get tickets off of me, etc. This is for people that I consider friends, which include CRX owners who are regular posters on this site and people I've met in person at CRX meets...not anyone who happens to hear about it singing up for an account here or logging in for the first time in months to try and get a ticket. Those people can buy a ticket from IMS and keep me in a job :)

USGP Weekend Schedule: http://www.usgpindy.com/schedule/

Spectator/Ticket Info: http://www.usgpindy.com/news/story.php?story_id=6921

So, let's see who is coming...and if you've got any ideas on something for us all to do, let's hear them...anything from just meeting up briefly to check out cars to going karting (there are some good indoor karting tracks in Indy) and having some dinner, whatever.

·
Registered
778 Posts
I will be there. I have two tickets I need to get rid of that are around the first turn. They are originally 85 bucks but I got them free because Michelin matched what I bought. Let me know if anybody is interested. I'm only going on race day with a friend of mine. I've been to all of the USGPs except one. It's a good time...well last year sucked.

·
Registered
734 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
SETI20 said:
Damn those tickets are cheap. I paid well over 200 bucks for a ticket at Spa a couple of years ago.
Yeah, it's cheap here in the US. There ARE expensive tickets, but the cheap ones are very reasonably priced. Also, as a side note, the general admission tickets WILL get you an actual seat in certain sections, just not an assigned seat obviously...but it's not just lawn seating. I'll probably have a few of the general admission tickets in addition to my seats.

·
Registered
734 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well I'm off to the Speedway...hope you suckers enjoy watching it on TV :)

If you're there and see me in my black CRX with bronze Slipstreams, make sure to give a honk or a wave!

I'm pretty excited, the first Porsche race yesterday was particularly fun to watch, and the Fomula BMW USA guys put on a good show as well. Saw Bobby Rahal around the track, he was skipping IndyCar quals in Kansas to watch his 17 year old son, Graham, run in the Pro Series Liberty Challenge -- it's the only Pro Series even he can run at being under 18, some stipulation tied to PS/IndyCar Series events...in any case he absolutely DOMINATED the first 3/4 of the race, it was only a 25 lap (around 60 mile) race but by the 3/4 point he was about 9 seconds ahead of the second place car of Alex Lloyd. Amazing for a 17 year old (Marco won it last year at 18, BTW). A yellow flag came out and bunched up the field, and he blew it on the restart and slid through the grass before getting back on track -- but not before giving up first place to Lloyd, which he never got back.

F1 qualifications were really fun to watch as well, the new format makes qualifications actually somewhat exciting. A few close calls and off-track excursions kept things interesting.

Should be a good time today...my money is on Alonso, but anything could happen!

·
Registered
778 Posts
Man...Button involved in the first crash, Sato didn't finish, Montagny was out in the first crash, Villeneuve didn't finish, Barrichello looked to finish 5th or so and ended up 6th only because a Ralf didn't finish. It was a hot day, but not too bad, better than last year.

·
Registered
734 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Dren said:
Man...Button involved in the first crash, Sato didn't finish, Montagny was out in the first crash, Villeneuve didn't finish, Barrichello looked to finish 5th or so and ended up 6th only because a Ralf didn't finish. It was a hot day, but not too bad, better than last year.
Hey Dren, I was sitting in the grass by the helicopter-landing-area fence near Corner 10 Terrace (eating a cheesesteak and drinking a Foster's) a little after noon when I saw a dude with long dark hair and a beard in a blue button-down kinda work shirt (I think)...was that you? Dunno why, but the dude reminded me a lot of your avatar image and I thought it mighta been you.

·
Registered
720 Posts
So 9 cars finish this year to the 6 we had last year. 8 cars out in the first corner!? I was very dissapointed.

Great drive from Toro Rosso's Liuzzi, 8th, scoring thier first points and from Trulli, 4th, who started from the pits.

I had non-F1 company over to watch the race because they were curious about it and it was in the States. All the drivers they had an interest in were out so early (Scott, and Juan) it was impossible for them to stay interested after a few laps! I was a little excited until Villeneuve had engine failure. Back to early Sunday morning coffee and F1 for me.

Looking forwards to France now.

·
Registered
778 Posts
ryan_long_01 said:
Dren said:
Hey Dren, I was sitting in the grass by the helicopter-landing-area fence near Corner 10 Terrace (eating a cheesesteak and drinking a Foster's) a little after noon when I saw a dude with long dark hair and a beard in a blue button-down kinda work shirt (I think)...was that you? Dunno why, but the dude reminded me a lot of your avatar image and I thought it mighta been you.
Haha, nah I have short hair and I am shaven now. I had a Honda T on with a Honda logo I drew on it with a marker lol. I had last year's BAR hat on.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.