Honda CRX Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
912 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i'm 3 weeks into college and by chance, I've stumbled upon a student organization called "Ram Racing". The Ram is our mascot. I looked into it, and it turns out they build and race there own Formula SAE race car. I knew I had to join. We got to watch a demo if the car. This thing is SICK. here are the stats:

>120hp inline 4 630cc turbo honda engine
>15000 RPM redline
>0-60 in 3.1 seconds
>top speed of around 90 MPH
>~400lbs w/o driver
>diff case with loseless shifting
>full CF body with lightweight aluminum lower frame
>Full SAE data aquisition system
>Total cost of the car = 95,000$

Pretty much, its a 1/2 scale F1 car. Its an amaizing thing. I joined this with the intention of it being a hobby, but this is the real deal. I am one of 2 freshman on the team, which means I have a good shot of becoming a leader in the program in a few years. Just wanted to share this with you guys. I'll post pics of the car as soon as i can get some.

·
Registered
912 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It compets in AutoX, so top speed really isnt a factor as much as other things.
In the tracks it runs, it would be lucky to see 80. The cars 1/2 scale, and so are the tracks.

·
Registered
9,746 Posts
the low speed/HP (for the motors used) is because of the intake restriction. SAE cars' intakes are limited to an intake about the size of a dime.

Tiersin, if you autocross, you should see if they will give/sell your their take-off slicks, that's how I get mine.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Ah, you have found the club to be in. I'm a sophomore at U of Arizona, and have been with the club since the summer before my freshman. You will pick up an amazing amount of knowledge about the car. Plus, spend the time in there, and you might get a shot at driving. Keep me posted, I might be able to meet up with you at competition.

Jfrolang...the cars are geared that short. Speeds in competition don't reach over 70 mph, so acceleration is the biggest concern.

BTW Tiersin, what school are you at?

·
Registered
912 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm at Colorado State University. downest, your right about the restrictor tube. its small.And thanks for the tip with the slicks. I'll look into that. turns out the car wont be a turbo like first planned unless they chang some of the rules. But the all the other specs are with the car running N/A at around 70-80 hp.

Yea, i'm hoping to get a shot at becoming a driver, but right now, I need to focus on earning shop qualifications and learning about the car. Maybe around year 4.

·
Registered
9,746 Posts
From what I've heard, RPI's team is pretty good. I've been around at the shop there, but I don't like the guys that are left too much.
Last week we had a activities fair, and I was there as an officer/member for the Autoshop and the Sports Car Club, and they were picking on my car, so we don't like them all too much now. One comment: "how fast does that CRX do 0-60?" "Umm... I don't know?" "well OUR CAR does it in 3.5 seconds". After that they called me a ricer, we have some rivalry going on. It's tough to compare a 15 year old sport compact to a $20k racing go-kart.
I think if the team here was different, I might have become more involved. I was mostly disappointed the first time I went up because I wanted to help with the engine building, and they just strip down a CBR600 motor and send it to a shop to build. IMO the teams should be required to build their own motors.

·
Registered
912 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I love the shop and people here. The other freshman used to own a CRX, but it was destroyed. I forgave him. Wasnt his fault. rearended by an SUV while parked outside his house. We fabricate absolutely everything on the car. We even have our own aluminum smelting system. Its hardy a go-kart. The people here are very friendly and understanding. Theres not a hint of superiority complex even though some of these people have been here for years.

·
Registered
9,844 Posts
RIT builds there's from the ground up... I think the only thing we don't make for the car are brake pads, tires, and shocks/springs.

I've heard a lot of our guys are pretty snobbish too. I never got the time to attend a meeting.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.