Honda CRX Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone pick up FORZA for XBOX yet? Impressions?

I'm done with buying titles before trying them, but its been rented out solid at my store since release.

I see we're represented at least: Forza Motorsport Final Car Roster @ XBox.com

From the reviews though its probably a racing title that could have me justifying a wheel and pedals...

Not interested in a PS2 vs XBOX flame war, or really GT4 vs FORZA for that matter unless you can be objective about it [read: not a fanboy] -- I only have time and cable conduit for one console in life so even if Jesus Himself prefers GT4, I'm not going out and buying a second console.

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
fogd00d said:
I'm done with buying titles before trying them, but its been rented out solid at my store since release.
I think this is a solid plan. Wait until you get a chance to play it first before buying it. It may be a bit of a commercially hyped product. I noticed a "VIS Racing Integra Type R" and a "Wings West Civic Type R"...since when are those companies *real* racing companies?

·
Registered
247 Posts
well, i rented it, and my impressions are that its just like Gran Turismo for racing physics (very realistic) and if you WANT to do the ricer-boy thing with body kits and picnic table spoilers you can do that too, just like Need for Speed.

car physics is very unforgiving if you take your corners too fast. it may take a while to get used to your cars handling characteristics... just like in real life, if you go and buy a new car, you wont know how it handles in extreme conditions right away, gotta get a feel for it. a good feature is the racing line helper option. green arrows form a line on the track when your speed wont make you spin out. if you approach a corner too fast, the arrows will turn yellow if you can barely squeal around the corner, or red if you will totally lose control and over/understeer out of control.

one added bonus is that if you crash your car into other cars or the wall, it breaks down and can end up being un-drivable. if you dent it up just a bit and manage to finish the race, money is taken from your winnings to replace busted parts. it adds incentive to drive properly.

graphics-wise the game does well too. good resolutions on my 25" tv even if it isnt HDTV. replays look very nice, i just wish i could keep my car as shiny in real life as the cars are in-game

before i returned the game i had a '91 CRX with a B16B swapped into it... stage 3 turbo and all the mods... pushing 650 horses :p There is an option to swap a H22 in there as well, but it actually decreases the HANDLING of the car. so the designers did a bit of research, im glad to see.

i think this is the first game around to honour VW's corrado. if im wrong and it HAS made an appearance in other racing games, then let me know.

overall, i liked the game a lot, and i'd go out and buy it if i wasnt broke :(

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Stavros said:
before i returned the game i had a '91 CRX with a B16B swapped into it... stage 3 turbo and all the mods... pushing 650 horses :p There is an option to swap a H22 in there as well, but it actually decreases the HANDLING of the car. so the designers did a bit of research, im glad to see.
Whoa, thats way more in-depth than I imagined. If they went to similar detail on other cars they must have spent tons on research alone.

Thanks for the detailed review. I'm about to break down and just buy it now, still unseen.

·
Registered
10,896 Posts
To me GT4 is still king of the hill but as a first try to dethrone it its a good game. The damage which is something GT4 should of had is a good selling point to me but I was disappointed that even with the power of the Xbox GT4 has better graphics.

·
Registered
247 Posts
yeah, for what the XBOX can do, Forza didnt flex its visual muscles as much as it could. The cars still do look nice, but they couldve done much better.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts