Honda CRX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been looking for this for years. My '89 Si driver's side panel has two holes punched in it from the seatbelts. Found a mint driver side door panel on Ebay this morning. Hopefully the seller will do a better job packing it than that idiot did with the tail lights I won......

·
Premium Member
2,047 Posts
Man, I wish I would have seen that. A few weeks ago my door panel got the first hole ever. Nice puncture wound from the seatbelt. My interior is no longer mint. Ahhh!!!

·
Registered
272 Posts
mmm... an unbroken climate control. It's tempting, but still, the piece must be 15 years old. I'd hate to spend $125 and have it crack right after I install it. :oops: That'd be my luck.

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
daveb91 said:
Already have an unbroken climate control i never broke mine so dont need one. lol
I've never had a problem with one breaking before either. I think it must be a problem for warmer areas. All that constant expanding and contracting from higher temperatures must be bad for the plastic.

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I live practically in the Gulf of Mexico (hot and humid) and my climate controls are unbroken (now I've doomed myself). I think it has more to do with sticky cables and rough treatment that lead to breaking. In the early 90's I looked at a '91 DX, it was already rough, low mileage, only a couple of years old and the climate controls were already broken....

·
Registered
272 Posts
I think it's temperature variations that cracks them. Mine broke while I was living in northern Alabama, and I wasn't rough on it at all. I just looked at it one day and noticed that the plastic was cracked.

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
We all complain about the heater control..... but if that is all that our cars are known for then we are lucky..... one of mine is broke and one is nice... the majority of CRX's that i have owned have had good ones....

nice find on the door panel...... i am not an avid seatbelt wearer do i dont have the door panel problem but my gf was driving the other day and had it on and it got slammed in the door... . . . .boo hoo.... oh well its not the first mark on it, , ,

Chris

·
Registered
566 Posts
my car came with perfect door panels :) ive kept them seatbelt hole free for about 2-3 years now. :) my climate control used to be perfect too but its broken now, i dont know when it happened :(

·
Registered
328 Posts
daveb91 said:
Already have an unbroken climate control i never broke mine so dont need one. lol
You mean you don't need one yet.. 8)

If it feels like it does not want to move don't force it..
The one in my Si was perfect..
until recently when the control cables locked up.. :roll:

·
Registered
634 Posts
Has anyone checked Majestic Honda or San Leandro Honda to see if they actually have the door panels in stock? They still list them on their websites; the Si door panels would total about $370 for the pair - which for PERFECT ones really isn't that outrageous. I've seen "near-perfect" ones go for more than $150 each on eBay, so a little more to KNOW they're absolutely brand new and mint would be worth it to me... well, worth it if I had an extra $370 lying around.

My '91 DX has a couple little "bites" in the panels, plus they're DX panels anyway, y'know... My yellow '90 Si has absoutely mint door panels - not a scratch, not a mark anywhere. The entire interior is that way. :shock: The floormats are looking a little worn, but the "CRX" logo is still there.

I don't know why the HVAC panels crack, but it's not just rough treatment. I put a perfect one in my DX a couple years ago, and now it's cracked. I'm EXTREMELY careful and gentle with it, simply because I know how fragile they are, how hard they are to find, and how much of a bitch they are to remove and install. Still, it cracked a few months ago. I've got another mint one, but I hesitate to install it until I get one of those reinforcing plates for the front. And another for the '90 Si. Like I don't have enough projects on my plate right now! :)

Oh, yeah - Good to be here, too! Chet90Si alerted me to the site. I'd heard a little about it on a few other sites, and figured if he said check it out, it was worth a look. Looks like a lot of good members here, and a good site forming.

Mike

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Well, I got the door panel.....I'll put it like this - it's worth what I paid for it - $45. It's discolored from use (might be able to clean it). It's got two seatbelt punch marks in it (almost through but not quite). Some of the hard plastic pieces are broken. Plus it's got some visible scratches where someone drug something across it out the window. I definitely wouldn't have described it as "Like New" but it's a decent usable panel that looked great in the pictures but nowhere near as good in person. It looks great from a distance but close up, not so much because of that I'm in no hurry to put it in now.....

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
I really hate that. So many people seem to think that as long as the item isn't destined for the landfill, that it's "Like New". My definition of "Like New" is this: It's mint, but it's already been installed on the car before. No damage, sun fading, or visible deterioration of any kind.

·
Registered
74 Posts
HVAC control ... damnit, if I'd been paying attention I could have gotten in on that.

Anyone spots another one out there, post it ... or better yet, private message me! :wink:

Also, the little plastic spacers for the front license plate ... maybe only the SE had them, but they disappeared when I had some paint work done last year. Chimps touching my car. Damn dirty apes...

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
fogd00d said:
Also, the little plastic spacers for the front license plate ... maybe only the SE had them, but they disappeared when I had some paint work done last year. Chimps touching my car. Damn dirty apes...
You can still order those new from Honda. They don't show up in their system under the 90 - 91 CRX models, but if you ask them to look them up for an 89 CRX, they'll be able to order them in.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts